Disney Takes Muppet Script Through Pixar

Barry Lee

Reaction score
You see, they are going in the right direction, this makes my heart flutter. Oh hi Ryan!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
You see, they are going in the right direction, this makes my heart flutter. Oh hi Ryan!
Amen to that, my friend! They know exactly what they're doing and I couldn't be more thrilled.

Hi there Barry! Long time no see man! :big_grin:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Long as they don't turn it into a full CGI movie :smile:

But something that has substance with a good story and some heart, I'm all for it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Long as they don't turn it into a full CGI movie :smile:
If it was a Pixar CGI film, I couldn't really complain.

This is a ...well... weird good step in the right direction. I'm sure they'll ad some great input to the film. After all, this is another step closer to it being made. But on the other hand, I hope the input is very minor so we don't have major rewrites here and there so this thing can go into production on their schedule. And I really have to admit... it's weird taking it to the animation department, since it is a live action movie. I don't like this odd new logic that Puppetry = animation if that's the case.

I wish Pixar was in charge of more that goes on with Disney... maybe we'd actually have a new series of TV cartoons or something. At least more theatrical shorts featuring the old characters.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
And I really have to admit... it's weird taking it to the animation department, since it is a live action movie. I don't like this odd new logic that Puppetry = animation if that's the case.
The preproduction process is very similair. Everything about a Muppet movie has to planned out, the same as with animation. Everything has to be storyboarded.

But it's very exciting to hear that Pixar's story people are taking a gander at this. Very, very cool.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
This is great news! It's nice to see the Pixar guys helping out with the Muppet movie. This increases my faith in the movie by another 100%.

Mupp

Reaction score
I wish Pixar was in charge of more that goes on with Disney... maybe we'd actually have a new series of TV cartoons or something. At least more theatrical shorts featuring the old characters.
Actually in a way they are.

John Lasseter is the chief creative officer at Disney Animation as well as Pixar.

He is the executive producer of every recent animated film by Disney Animation. Such as BOLT and The Princess and the Frog. The quality of Disney animated films has been much better since he took the job.

Theatrical shorts are something that they really need to get the ball rolling on though.

I loved the new Goofy short "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater" (John Lasseter was the executive producer on that.)

I think that is is very cool news, I have faith in every project that John Lasseter is associated with.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The preproduction process is very similair. Everything about a Muppet movie has to planned out, the same as with animation. Everything has to be storyboarded.
Actually... ANY movie has to be planned out like that. Be it puppetry, animation, people in large rubber suits... even plain old ordinary movies just about people. Even indies. All need storyboards.

They clearly aren't messing around with this film. Pixar films never tanks. Sure, there are ones that do disappointingly, but they never tank. They've put too much into the preproduction of this film to leave anything to chance. They can always try to turn rides and Fantasia segments into the next Pirates of the Caribbean (why more than half of them bomb), but they really don't have all that leg room with the Muppets

This is great... though it raises the "one too many chefs" concern. I'm sure they won't fiddle with it in a negative way, though.

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
This is great... though it raises the "one too many chefs" concern. I'm sure they won't fiddle with it in a negative way, though.
Judging from what was said in the article, most of the guys over at Pixar are muppet fans already and I believe will do them justice.
They even threw Statler and Waldorf in the background of their short "Presto". As seen here. This was well before Segel and Stoller had written a script for a new movie, let alone Pixar being approached to revise it.
Again, I think we're in good hands.