New Henson GSN show: Late Night Liars

WalterPaidton

Reaction score
I'm so glad there's a thread already on here about this show...I ran across it a few nights ago and wasn't quite sure what I was seeing....I didn't even know if it was Henson affiliated; that's why I joined up...so is this show brand new or has it been on all summer....I kind of like it; I like the puppet characters but I just don't know what to make of it sometimes.

What's the general consensus on this show from site regulars and apologies for any n00bish behavior/questions.

Best,
Walter

Drtooth

Reaction score
I so want this to be funnier, but I'm just not getting into it. I'm fine with racy material, but it's just not up to the clever standards of the Henson legacy (adult division or not). Puppet Up and Stuffed & Unstrung seemed to have the magic these clips seem to be lacking. I keep hoping to see a truly fantatic clip. Maybe it will happen. :confused:
The concept is better than the execution. I'm sure we can all agree to that. I will say this, I actually laughed at the clip of the third episode, so things may just get a little better as time goes by and the series finds itself... I mean, remember how Muppets Tonight didn't come together for the writers until the last episode?

Problem is the show is TOO written. And by people who really can't come up with anything besides drunken 30+ year old humor (as opposed to drunken frat boy humor... that's worse! It's all 1980's cartoon characters with sex and drugs now). I liked the category "Popes that share the name of cartoon cats" but that was the only thing remotely clever, as was the Mickey Rourke puppet caricature.

WalterPaidton

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The Jim Henson Company are developing a new late night gameshow for GSN coming this Summer. The name currently being used is "Never Trust A Puppet" or "Late Night Liars".

The format is "A late night comedy and gameshow where human contestants face off against 5 outrageous puppets, who also happen to be celebrities and lie straight to their face. Puppets created by the Jim Henson Production Company. Hosted by Larry Miller."

I think by sounds of it they have taken some inspiration from how Jim made "Muppets" of the Muppeteers, Bernie Brillstein and others and will make them for the celebs on the show.

More info here :-

http://buzzerblog.flashgameshows.com/larry-miller-hosts-gsns-late-night-puppet-game-show/

Sounds interesting!
yes I've heard the next "celebrity guest" is going to be Rosie O'Donnell.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I enjoyed the latest episode, but since Mummy's topic for the two-topic showdown was Gary Coleman, I was surpirsed he didn't mention Avenue Q.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Only two hours until the new Late Night Liars with Rosie O'Donnell. I can't wait!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I've yet to see an episode, but the clips online aren't helping me want to watch it. Like the clip from episode 4. I liked the cold open, because that was mostly some nice banter between two characters who are quite full of themselves. Practically all the rest of the jokes had me groaning. And not the corny joke groan.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I've yet to see an episode, but the clips online aren't helping me want to watch it. Like the clip from episode 4. I liked the cold open, because that was mostly some nice banter between two characters who are quite full of themselves. Practically all the rest of the jokes had me groaning. And not the corny joke groan.
I'll admit the jokes can be a little groany to someone who doesn't like dirty humor. But sometimes they make jokes that aren't dirty but hilarious. Like the weasel. In episode one, his reason for choosing 839$ for the second round was, "That's the number of times I rented High School Musical 3. That Zac Efron is just hilarious!" And for episode 2, his reason for picking 893 for the second round was, "Easy, Larry. That's the boiling piont in degres Kelvin of sulfer hydronydrate with a random diget added to the end of it. (Does random scating.)" Or for episode 3, when he chose 797, he said, "Easy, Larry. That's the number of jelly beans in a jar that contains 797 jelly beans." LOL! Those reasons crack me up everytime!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I loved the new episode. Donna Kimball did a hilarious job making fun of Rosie! And the jokes the other panelists made about her being a lesbian were gold.