Who is Lionsgate associated with?

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
This is not good

The only one I've heard about being banned recently was NantoVision for posting the Muppet Meeting Films... not sure that's connected, but he did come back.

But yeah, I'm serious. Just this morning I went to watch Ray Charles' rendition of "Bein' Green" from the 20th anniversary SST special, and there it was "This video contains content from Lionsgate, who has blocked it on copyright grounds." I thought wait a minute, that ain't right... who are these guys claiming they own that content? It almost sounds like all the screwing around Viacom's been doing, that Mike Mozart explained in detail about here recently.
I have a feeling that Children's Television Workshop is going to file a lawsuit against Lionsgate for false copyright claim. Because they do not own Sesame Street.:mad::boo:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Yeah, now all the FR vids they took down clearly state it's Lionsgate's issue. Whatever. No one can possibly mistake fan footage for the real thing (in other words, using puppet replicas or something). Even the best Muppet parodies I've seen can be spotted rather quickly. Lionsgate is really getting on my nerves. Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Dinosaurs -- other Henson distributors seem to understand that clips can be argued fair use. It's only when you try uploading the entire thing that it gets blocked. I really don't see how showing a song or a clip from FR constitutes blatant infringement. They all pretty much cite where they got the clip.

From the government's website:
The 1961 Report of the Register of Copyrights on the General Revision of the U.S. Copyright Law cites examples of activities that courts have regarded as fair use: “quotation of excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of illustration or comment; quotation of short passages in a scholarly or technical work, for illustration or clarification of the author’s observations; use in a parody of some of the content of the work parodied; summary of an address or article, with brief quotations, in a news report; reproduction by a library of a portion of a work to replace part of a damaged copy; reproduction by a teacher or student of a small part of a work to illustrate a lesson; reproduction of a work in legislative or judicial proceedings or reports; incidental and fortuitous reproduction, in a newsreel or broadcast, of a work located in the scene of an event being reported.”
Mine were parodies. True, "clips" aren't really addressed, but for Heaven's sake, it's not the entire thing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have a feeling that Children's Television Workshop is going to file a lawsuit against Lionsgate for false copyright claim. Because they do not own Sesame Street.
ONLY if they start blocking SW's own official clips the way that EMI Publishing small corner of the world that didn't get the memo blocked the official Bohemian Rhapsody Muppet video. This is what worries me. Any clip that sort of kind of appears in 20 Years and Counting is now going to be falsely claimed by Lioncrate, and we're going to see SS videos get deleted or passive aggressively blocked because 2 seconds of them appeared in a montage in a video. Lionsgate has the right to delete or block FULL episodes or FULL videos of something that's on DVD. Deleting small clips is just... annoying, frustrating, and I don't see how it hurts (or frankly helps) DVD sales.

Yeah, now all the FR vids they took down clearly state it's Lionsgate's issue. Whatever. No one can possibly mistake fan footage for the real thing (in other words, using puppet replicas or something). Even the best Muppet parodies I've seen can be spotted rather quickly. Lionsgate is really getting on my nerves. Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Dinosaurs -- other Henson distributors seem to understand that clips can be argued fair use. It's only when you try uploading the entire thing that it gets blocked. I really don't see how showing a song or a clip from FR constitutes blatant infringement. They all pretty much cite where they got the clip.
Hate to say this, but LG at least has more right to kill your stuff than the full, stuff the DVD didn't get into clips of SS. And even then, I love how these companies whine and moan and pull clips and ban people because they somehow feel it's THEIR fault no one buys DVD's anymore. Now, again... I relent to full episodes... but fan videos? Do you think anyone even gives a crap about the horrible Super Mario World cartoon if it wasn't for Mama Luigi? Would anyone really want full season sets of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog if there weren't videos of Robotnik SnooPING AS usual? Fan videos... shock and awe... bring interest in properties no one would otherwise care about. Look at Rick Astley. Who would listen to any of that crap, unless it was ironic? Companies wouldn't even know what animes to license if they weren't trying to keep one step ahead of the pirates.

What I don't see enough of is "Contains Content From" disclaimers. They put an ad next to your video. They get a small portion of the ad revenues. Lion'sgate not even jumping on that option, especially when they DON'T OWN ANY SESAME STREET AT ALL WHATSOEVER save for ONE special, is just the same sort of passive aggressive business practices I've come to hate the internet for. I'm glad they're bringing us this special, but I don't think it's worth it if it kills user generated SS clips, especially since SW themselves had no problem with it before.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like Rick Astley, but then again, I'm a child of the 80s (technically). :smirk:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Thankfully, it seems like Lionsgate hasn't removed any clips officially uploaded by Henson or Sesame Workshop. Fraggle Rock clips from the official Henson Company Channel are still there. Not too sure how many Sesame Street clips found in the special have been uploaded by the official Sesame Street channel. I know The Word is No (uploaded a week or two ago), Spring is Here (also uploaded recently), Rubber Duckie, and Pinball #7 are all in the special and have been uplaoded by Sesame Workshop. Can't remember if SW uploaded King of 8 or Herry and John-John Count to 20.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
Well, I decided to put all my Sesame Street videos on private. Because I do not want to get suspended from Youtube.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like Rick Astley, but then again, I'm a child of the 80s (technically). :smirk:
I don't care if you're a child of Rick Astley. His music is mostly enjoyed Ironically. And if it wasn't for that April Fool's joke from 2 years ago (which I swear is only because they mentioned it on Family Guy) he would have been vastly forgotten, except in elevators. And I'm glad he's one of the few people on YT who get the joke and understand that fan videos are the only reason people want to listen to his music.

I find the "contains content from" option highly underrated. The company gets (if they get anything) a small amount of ad revenues from the video, AND they get to be in the public eye with stuff they're too scared to put on DVD themselves... or stuff that's already on DVD that needs the free publicity. Again, I relent to full episodes, even of rare stuff, even though I do 80% of my cartoon viewing online (not by choice, though as everyone knows by now). But clips and theme songs? That's publicity. And mangling the clips, either respectively or disrespectfully makes things that were mildly popular at best a sensation. More people have seen a "THIS IS SPARTAAAAA" techno-remix than the actual tedious 300 movie.

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
And now, look what Lionsgate has banned on Youtube

I am very dissapointed. Because a few weeks ago, 500Bennu got suspended from Youtube. Because of the Classic Sesame Street clip he/she posted were claimed by Lionsgate Entertainment. I bet CTW is going to sue Lionsgate for $3,Million dollars. :mad::eek::boo:

BuddyBoy600alt

Reaction score
WHAT? They have NO right NO right at all. They do NOT own a single crumb of SS's library. Not a single second. If this is a gag of some sort, it's not a funny one. SS and WB (as the distributor) and maybe Viacom, since they insist that everything with that ugly little network bug is there's. Lionsgate does NOT OWN Sesame Street clips, there has never been any relationship between the two companies, and these are false copyright claims.

Sesame Worskshop has thankfully been forgiving when it came to classic clips being posted by outside users. Other than the ones falsely claimed to by by Viacom, who doesn't even give a crap about SW and just wants to kill everything with their logo, there have not been any claims by ANYONE that SS clips are unrightfully theirs.

I ask any classic clip posters to dispute these claims if they threaten to take them down.

Has anyone been banned yet?
Well, We have now lost 500Bennu. His/Her account got suspended.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I am very dissapointed. Because a few weeks ago, 500Bennu got suspended from Youtube. Because of the Classic Sesame Street clip he/she posted were claimed by Lionsgate Entertainment. I bet CTW is going to sue Lionsgate for $3,Million dollars. :mad::eek::boo:
He had much more than two SS episodes on his channel. So it's most likely not that. And why do you still call it CTW? They're Sesame Workshop now. And why would they sue them? They're partnered with them for that release. It's not something to really sue over.