New Video: "Stand By Me"

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Accounting for the extra rabbit, it is possible that big mean bunnies normally have a rabbit inside them in the same way that all cats do. The distinctive ‘miaow’ noise of the cat is actually a rabbit inside the cat saying ‘let-me-out!’
EEW! That's disgusting!

*Dunks grilled cheese into chocolate sauce and takes a bite*

The thought of all those poor bunnies festering away inside the digestive tracts of filthy cats makes me sick to my stomach!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
It's funny everyone keeps complaining about the pleading bunny, causeI thought that was one of the funniest parts. Sounded like Dave Goelz. The sketch reminded me of "I've Got You Under My Skin." Classic!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think it is so funny how people say, and have said for years that they wish they would bring back the old Muppet Show magic back. Then when they do bring it back, everyone thinks God lord that video was to violiont or dark. they need to watch the Alice Cooper or Vencent Price shows. Then come back and talk to me about this video.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Well as far as I can tell this is the first time any character has pleaded not to be eaten by a monster in a muppet sketch Dwayne. So perhaps it does make it slightly more intense.

But on the whole I can see your point. It's still basically the same sort of dark things Henson sometimes used to do himself in the classic days of the muppets.

It certainly could have fitted in as a Muppet Show sketch during either the Vincent Price or the Alice Cooper episode. Statler and Waldorf could have said the very same things afterwards up in their theater box. :big_grin:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well as far as I can tell this is the first time any character has pleaded not to be eaten by a monster in a muppet sketch Dwayne. So perhaps it does make it slightly more intense.
There were the Screaming No-Nos from The Jim Henson Hour. But, of course, those were humans pleading for their lives. Not Muppets.

Shakey Sanchez seemed pretty desperate not to be eaten during the "I've Got You Under My Skin" number. And Beaker protested all the time, even begged Bunsen not to perform his stunts.

I thought the bunny begging was pretty subtle, personally. That's what made it funny, I think. He wasn't going, "OH, dear god, don't eat me! I have a wife and eight kids! PLEEEEASE! Oh, PLEAASE! Don't eat me! GAAAAAAH!"

edwardsinclair

Reaction score
I just watched it for like the fiftieth time, and I think what is leaving some unsettled is that Carl doesn't get any come uppance in the end, as many monsters (Doglion in the beautiful day sketch or Hugga Wugga for instance) used to on TMS. With the bunnies still alive and singing in the end, it gets us like 95% there - which is still satisfying - but something felt unfinished.

Like the last bunny picks up the giant carrot while he's distracted by the singing and whacks him over the head. Or the rabbits, still in his stomach, start walking away and drag Carl offscreen BY his stomach. Or a larger rabbit eats Carl or hits him on the head before he has a chance to eat his little buddy.

And if it was TMS, applause - smaller bunny looks out at the audience and smiles, bows excitedly - maybe the other bunnies hop out of Carl's mouth. End.

All in all, I still love it. I think this video is something that Jim would have been proud of. Felt like Ed Sullivan material.

Mupp

Reaction score
"Tomorrow" is Good Friday. Easter is the first Sunday of April
Yes, I realized that some time after I posted. I had forgotten what day we were on when I posted that.

I was hoping to point out my own mistake, but I was too late.
I apologize for my silly mistake. :embarrassed:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I think another problem is that Big Mean Carl has no redeeming qualities. I mean, he eats stuff...but does he ever feel guilty about it? Or does he ever get punished for it? Or does he even try NOT to eat stuff, but just can't help it and does it anyway? I wonder if people just can't identify with him in this.

I do wish that the tiny final bunny HAD hit Carl with the carrot! That would have been awesome.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
My opinion on the video, I love it! Classic TMS. Only thing I didn't like was the pause of the bunnies singing. Carl could have kept eating and eating like to the beat of the song.

And I too think Statler & Waldorf cut it short. Like as you guys said, like there could've been a bigger, Thog-sized bunny eating Carl the Big Mean Easter Bunny!

All and all I loved it.:zany:

Mupp

Reaction score
Monsters who ate other Muppets on the Muppet Show didn't always get a comeuppance.

Also, it seems like it was a very deliberate choice on the part of The Muppets Studio to show that the bunnies were still alive inside of Carl.
It obviously would have been too much and unmuppet-like if the bunnies had actually died.

In the past, Big Mean Carl has never been punished for his eating or mistreatment of Muppets.

Also, Carl did eat Rizzo and two other rats during the Bohemian Rhapsody video. (But they clearly got out since we see them at the end)

Apparently, it takes muppet monsters a VERY long time to digest their stomach contents. :wink: