Your Thoughts: The Muppets on "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I guess I'm gonner have to watch this one on-line, eh? I was planning on watching this if and only if the Fox Sunday toon line up was re-runs (or pre-emptied for some movie). Cause, Muppets or no, I'm not the kind of person to every want to watch EMHE for any reason whatsoever. I did manage to catch the last end credits gag with Bunsen and Beaker.

Really, I've heard nothing but greatness from this appearance, even from skeptics. I was expecting a brief cameo of everybody at the end and that was it.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Just finished watching it. So great! And "Just One Person" never fails to choke me up. The more I see of the Muppets in recent months, the happier I get. More please, Disney!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Very good appearance. Steve and Bill have really good chemistry together.

I can't help but wonder when I see the Muppets do a special appearance, give a private show thanking people, and sng "Just One Person", that the people in attendance have any clue how lucky they are.

dwmckim

Reaction score
The "Just One Person" number was the only part of the show that was lacking. I totally felt it should have been done and it was the perfect song, don't get me wrong - but not only did there seem to be some technical issues (Eric's mike didn't seem to be working as Fozzie - couldn't they at least have fixed that in post?) but the song loses its effectiveness only sung with five Muppets. Was there that few Muppeteers available? Was there not ample space for more to squeeze into? Couldn't any right-handers fill in gaps? The song carries such a strong message and is very poignant - so if i'm a bit harsh on its execution it's because having less Muppets shown singing it than what the lyrics refer to just ended up undermining the tribute they were giving; "Just One Person" is just the kind of number that you don't do half-heartedly. Even just bringing in Sweetums as a sixth Muppet would have been a little more powerful if they couldn't get any more Muppets in there (though there really should be a mimimum of seven to visually match the power and message of the lyrics) They could have even projected, rolled in or held up a photo of a big group shot of the volunteers.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I know what ya mean about "Just one Person" I think the song does really great with a huge group of Muppets. Like in "The Muppets Celebreate Jim Henson" I however love the fact that they thought of useing the song for us die hard fans.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Yea, I thought that it didn't seem as big as I was anticipating it to be. But I kinda chalked it up to it perhaps being either a spur of the moment thing or, they had to go with what was available. I still enjoyed the effort and just that little scene in general.

As for the Fozzie in post thing, I don't know what kinda of equipment they had, or the budget but they may not have had the time to ADR it and if they didn't have the sound to being with, there would have been nothing they could do with the original recording.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know what ya mean about "Just one Person" I think the song does really great with a huge group of Muppets. Like in "The Muppets Celebreate Jim Henson" I however love the fact that they thought of useing the song for us die hard fans.
Actually, I tuned in about that part, but quickly changed the channel after I realized what song it was. It's not that it's a bad song... I can NEVER hear that song ever again without busting into huge tears, since it was after all used at the end of the Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson. Heck, I can't even watch that special past the marching accountant band without being totally depressed. It sure is a moving song that moves me to tears... and frankly, I DON'T like to be moved to tears. I'm more of a tear up while laughing guy myself.

King Prawn

Reaction score
I finally just saw this, it was amazing! Crazy Harry blew up the house that was just awsome :crazy: all I could think was it's 2010 and we're seeing new Muppet material with Crazy Harry! I thought the same thing at the end of 2009 when Dr. Strangepork made it into the Bohemian Rhaspody video.

I actually saw this with my sisters and my mum and commented on Gonzo's outfit when he broke through the roof, I havn't seen Gonzo wear that since The Muppets Take Manhattan. One of my sisters turned to me and said "your crazy". I thought about it and she's right, who remembers when was the last time a puppet wore and outfit, especially if it's over twenty years later but i'm sure i wasn't the only one who thought this, I instantly thought of you guys, made me feel sane again :big_grin:

Anyway great performance by the Muppets, the jokes are actually funny again and it's been a long time since i've been entertained by the Muppets for more than 5 minutes. Their finally back! :zany:

spcglider

Reaction score
Yea, I thought that it didn't seem as big as I was anticipating it to be. But I kinda chalked it up to it perhaps being either a spur of the moment thing or, they had to go with what was available. I still enjoyed the effort and just that little scene in general.

As for the Fozzie in post thing, I don't know what kinda of equipment they had, or the budget but they may not have had the time to ADR it and if they didn't have the sound to being with, there would have been nothing they could do with the original recording.
The event at the community center was a spur-of-the-moment thing that came up during filming as a make-up for the fact that the Muppets had to actually leave before the end of shooting. They did their "move that bus" bits to be edited in later.

And the community center thing was a royal pain for the organizers. The "set" was assembled in record time by a couple of the Muppet support folks. It was a huge scramble. And the sound system at the venue was nothing but problematic. They actually did three takes of the song. One was with the audience in the room. Then they cleared the room (I and my crew were luckily allowed to remain thanks to the director) and they shot it again two more times in a clean sound environment. However, I don't know exactly what went down with Fozzie's sound... I believe all of the Muppets had individual channels being recorded by the production sound guy. It might have been intrinsic or it might have been some weird post production glitch.

As for the number of Muppets, there were only five puppeteers on the shoot. Steve, Dave, Matt, Bill and Eric. That's it. And all of them were crouched uncomfortably behind that makeshift wall. All in all, I think they did a sterling job. And as far as I know, nobody is allowed to plunge a hand into a Disney Muppet if they aren't an official Muppeteer. Which might explain why they didn't engage unofficial "extra" puppeteers to simply occupy some puppets on stage.

-Gordon

spcglider

Reaction score
Interesting bit of conversation snipppet with Steve Whitmire: His first puppetry job was at the World Of Sid & Marty Krofft theme park in Atlanta, GA. Groovy! Sadly the park closed after only a few months after opening. Didn't even make it a full year as far as I know. It was located in the OMNI building (current location of CNN Headquarters). If you go on the CNN tour, you'll notice a HUGE escalator that goes all the way to the top floor. That was originally the entrance to the theme park. In the basement, under the skating rink, was a traditional "dark ride". You'd climb in a car and be whisked along through the dark to different scenes with Krofft characters including H.R.Pufnstuf.

-Gordon