Steve Whitmire Lecture/Workshop at the Center for Puppetry Arts

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well where the puppets like Whatnots or what? Just to get the chance to puppeter along side Steve would be a dream come true
He may have helped build the puppets if they where Whatnots he may have put the eyes, noes, and so forth on them.

shtick

Reaction score
If anyone whose going to this happened to have also gone to the Michael Earl Workshop, I'd be interested to know how the two compare as far as bang for yer buck. Especially since The Earl Workshop is more than $200 while the Whitmire Lecture/Class is only $30.

loosetoon

Reaction score
The puppets were built by Steve. At least they were signed by him on the inside. They were much better made than the FAO Whatnots. They were made of flesh color (pinkish) antron fleece, the eyes were flat plastic discs with a felt pad for pupils. In the head there was a 1/2 inch foam rubber "skull" and the inside of the mouth was sturdy rubber with a thin wood dowl on the top and bottom for grips. Very professional feeling inside. The puppet itself was just a roundish head with eyes. No nose or hair, or anything else. Just a fleece body and no arms or clothes. My wife said they kinda looked like little worms.

The 12 folks in our class ran the gamut from professional puppeteers to some who never had a puppet on their hand in their life. I, myself am no puppeteer, but I do play with puppets. And everyone had a great time! Even the pros have never necessarily worked the "Muppet" way in front of a TV monitor. Everyone was fumbling around, turning the wrong way, looking to the ceiling, and laughing like crazy. No one should have any fears about being a newbie here.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
It sounds like it was an amazing experience and thanks to everyone who attended for giving away as much as they could without spoiling it for others who may take future lectures. Having met Steve and being friendly with him over the years I can just imagine how amazing it was to actually have him teach his techniques to others and learning so much from him. He's a very generous guy and genuinely seems to enjoy people in general, not just those who work in puppetry or are in the entertainment business.

I look forward to hearing Barry's full report when he gets a chance, and any pics that the Center may post on their site.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
MellisaY1 said:
I look forward to hearing Barry's full report when he gets a chance, and any pics that the Center may post on their site.
I hope Barry doesn't mind me revealing this, but his full report will be posted on The Muppet Mindset as soon as he's finished with it. We're extremely excited to host Barry and hear all about the experience! :big_grin:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well that is going to be great I ca't wait to read that!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I hope Barry doesn't mind me revealing this, but his full report will be posted on The Muppet Mindset as soon as he's finished with it. We're extremely excited to host Barry and hear all about the experience! :big_grin:
That sounds awesome! I look forward to it, and I should give your page a daily visit and add it to my Favorites. It's a great site I just haven't gotten fully immersed in it yet.

wes

Reaction score
Good Job Ryan, ya got an Exclusive! can't wait to read it!

spcglider

Reaction score
Reading this has got me SO totally stoked.

I'll be in the last workshop on the last day... but I'm happy to be in it.

-G