The Muppet Man BioPic

ferrell

Reaction score
I just read this and I think this is one of the most horrific things I have ever read about someone,i hope this script is a joke and not a real script because it's insulting to Jim and his family..I barely got to the end of it without breaking out in tears..it starts off crazy but it's very graphic about his sickness/death at the end and shouldn't be put out on the big screen..if I was a family member I would be insulted by this..just my opinion.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
The dialogue is pretty bad too.

JIM
Oh Joan. That’s fantastic.
Congratulations.

JOAN
And... the best part... drum
roll... I just got off the phone
to Ed... we got four Emmy noms.

JIM
You’re joking me!
I can’t believe that!

JOAN holds up the VARIETY page with Emmy nominations.
She’s already high-lighted the SESAME STREET ones.

JOAN:

Number one children’s show
thirteen weeks and counting.
That has never happened before in
the history of television. You
think we’re not gonna win those
little gold statues?

JIM seems non-fussed.

JOAN (CONT’D):
Do you ever smile?

JIM
Ohhh... I told Jane I’d be back
an hour ago.

This does not sound like an actual conversation between Joan Cooney and Jim Henson. Joan Cooney is one tough lady, a hard-*** woman with top connections in the business and in the government. She was able to get Michael Eisner off of the Jim Henson Company's back after the death of Jim Henson. Here, she sounds like a lame kiddie show character. "Drum roll"? Eck.

And Jim Henson never smiles? Since when?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Here is the thing about what I have read so far, it goes from one thng to another a whole lot with out really any explanition of where or why it is going there. Secondly by the time of Jim's death the Company was not just Jerry, Jerry Frank, Dave, Richard Kevin, and Steve. There where many many people working for Henson.

Also it has been a age old question here on Muppet Central about the Kermit Piggy relationship, and from what I have come to understand most fans feel that in some way or another Kermit and Piggy need each other, and will always be there for each other. To have Piggy marry Link would mess everything up, because she was really never into Link at all. In fact she found him rather stupid. I'm praying that what happens is that Disney and JHC work on this thing and just use the title of the movie.

If they stick to the facts then everything else will pan out.

Kiki

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get the marriage bit. =/ First of all, doesn't Miss Piggy hate Link? Okay, maybe not hate (esp. in the "True Love" sketch, heh), but they can't relate to eachother, and this is evident in the Pigs In Space sketches. Yes, Kermit and Piggy are like chalk and cheese, but you can tell there's a very special bond between them. *Sigh*... Piggy and Link... personally, nah, I don't like it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Piggy and Link...(Yes, I know it's off topic) I could see her marrying him in a dark alternate future, but only in order to make Kermit jealous, not because she loves him. Link? Really? *shudder*

Mr Foobly, sir, you are also totally write...forget fact verification, the script itself is just too weak for words.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get the marriage bit. =/ First of all, doesn't Miss Piggy hate Link? Okay, maybe not hate (esp. in the "True Love" sketch, heh), but they can't relate to eachother, and this is evident in the Pigs In Space sketches. Yes, Kermit and Piggy are like chalk and cheese, but you can tell there's a very special bond between them. *Sigh*... Piggy and Link... personally, nah, I don't like it.
That's the thing I have a main problem about. Piggy HATES Link. Piggy REALLY hates Link. In fact, everybody but Link hates Link. Of course, it works on the system that the Kermit/Piggy relationship got so strained that Piggy settled for someone else. But it still makes no sense. At least the guy at least knows who Link is.

I think they should change the name of this movie if the script to "Jim Henson: Epic Fail!" Seems they focus TOO much on the shortcomings and failures and taint the successes with some imaginary drama or forced moment of depression.

THIS, People is why biopics are bad ideas. The half truths, the endless suffering, the insane notion that artistic= emo. This script is quite possibly the worst thing they could have done and came up with. They're painting Jim as a miserable person who would love to jump out of any window available, but has too much ennui for even that. I don't mind that they have some negative stuff in there, but balance it with POSITIVE stuff. And graphically dealing with death in ANY biopic is nothing but contrived tear jerking.

Sure, I want to see the stuff we never see or hear about. We want to see some of the things that made him human... but not THIS. Not something that makes him seem like the most depressed person in the world. They need to junk the entire script and start all over. And DO RESEARCH! Seems like this guy just jumped into one or two wikipedia articles the day before it was due and just threw stuff down like a C student's term paper.

Beauregard

Reaction score
*agrees with Dr Tooth's assessment SO much* The question really really should be asked, even if this whole screenplay was 100% true, why would we want to see it? Why would we want everyone to see it? What would it ADD to his legacy? What would it take away from it?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Make him look like a sad sack... that's what.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Lets look at reality here for a second folks. We have been hearing about this sceenplay for a long time now, and most of us now have even read it. Let us ask ourselfs the simple question, Do we really think that Disney, or JHC would make this screenplay word for word? The answer to that is NO! Both Disney and JHC have a great respct for Jim Henson and the work that he did. So I think we really don't need to worry about this screenplay ever seeing the light of day. I think there are going to be some very heavy re writes, and this could be going on as we speak.