New Video: Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
It's gone! :eek:

I just tried to watch it and YouTube said that it's been removed due to a copyright claim!

Did I miss something? :confused:

edwardsinclair

Reaction score
My thoughts are that it's either (a) Disney pulled it because it's now available commercially as both audio and video, or (b) since it now is commerciallly available, some bot from EMI Scandanavia accidentally caught it and submitted the complaint to YouTube.

If it's back up within the next two days, I'll say it was the latter. If not, then it's probably the former. But still..."EMI Pubslishing" ?:confused:

Edit: After looking at the DMCA complain form on YouTube, it looks like anyone could potentially make a false claim - so that seems more likely. If that's the case, I hope Disney really sticks it to the claimant.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If it's back up within the next two days, I'll say it was the latter. If not, then it's probably the former. But still..."EMI Pubslishing" ?

Edit: After looking at the DMCA complain form on YouTube, it looks like anyone could potentially make a false claim - so that seems more likely. If that's the case, I hope Disney really sticks it to the claimant.
This would have to be false. No other explanation. Disney didn't just pull the song "Bohemian Rhapsody" out of thin air. They had to have worked directly with the record company to get the rights to do the song itself. This isn't an unauthorized usage of the song for a lame forced couple pairing AMV, this is a meganational corporation that could easily buy the rights to all the Queen songs and all the band member likenesses if they wanted to.

EMI Scandinavia? That sounds VERY suspicious. If it's an inane copyright claim by an actual small record company in Scandinavia, they could just as easily block visage of the video in that country. The fact that some humorless, greedy company pulling off a video that got tens of millions of views and WAS legally made is both laughable and sad (if it is indeed true). But this really seems like a bitter organization that's just not happy with getting 5 views on some lame little video they made.

We have to contact Disney and tell them of this. They need to put this back on the web immediately.

Drtooth

Reaction score
EMI "Pubslishing"? Really?
Really... these are the same kinds of people that make musical licenses a living nightmare for everyone. Not the band, not even the people who own the music... but the publisher of the distributor of an out of print CD.

If this is indeed real, it's nothing less than insane and destructive. This video WAS an authorized musical usage, not a lame little AMV. Disney had to have gone through all the proper channels to get the rights to this song, and to have it removed by someone claiming to have a claim (and probably only has a less than 1% stake in the song, and only internationally) is nothing short of greediness and idiocy from the great world of Flintheart Glomgold-esque business practices in the music world.

I dunno about you, but these things make me WANT to illegally download as much actual music as I can.

Really... Scandinavia... give me a freaking break.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I've gotten word that The Muppets Studio is working to get it resolved. Fear not, gang! Disney is on the case. :big_grin:

Beauregard

Reaction score
I suspect it was removed by accident...Hope that doesn't mean it loses it's 10 mil status?

And speaking of EMI...Would people please e-mail them to request the release of this on CD? Apparently the decision to not put it on CD was made two weeks ago...but who knows, there could still be time to rush it out there. http://www.emi.com/page/emi/Feedback/0,12641,00.html

muppet_dk

Reaction score
My guess are that the signature of the song are to close to the original, so it was caught by the filters the record companies have sent to Google.

BTW I don't believe that the video has been deleted. I've had a few of the Swedish and Norwegian Fraggle Rock clips I've uploaded removed due to copyright claims from HIT, and I could still access them from my account. So I don't think the 10 million views are in danger.