Season 40 Hidden Gems

Fairy

Reaction score
The Muppet fan community has taken to refer to these as "hidden gems" but i don't think that's the best term since they range to being very subtle/hidden to being pretty overt. That name started because the first we heard about them was the TP interview with Joey Mazzarino where he talked about gems hidden in each episode thus the term "Hidden Gems" made its way into the Muppet Freak Vernacular.

I've taken to just simply calling them "Gems" myself and i also noticed Louise Gikow's book also just refers to them as "Gems". Others may disagree if only because they just don't like to change estabished habits, but personally i prefer just calling them "Gems" or even "Season 40 Gems" if you prefer something less vague. When you have a rarely seen Muppet getting a fair amount of screentime or everything pauses for a second for Luis to give one of his great reaction shots when he pulls The Teeny Little Superguy out of the broken washing machine (complete with theme music), "Hidden Gem" just doesn't seem like the right term.
I call these easter eggs, but my husband has corrected me many a time that by sheer defn, I'm simply wrong and must cease and desist with that description. I'll call them whatever ya'll want, I'm just jonesin' to see them each ep ... :frown:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well... Maria and her photo scrap book is self explanatory... but I SWEAR I heard "Proud to be a Cow" Mumbled at the beginning.
Yeah about the photo book, they did make quite visitble one of the photos with Big Bird next to an older guy. Maybe it was Willy I don't know. Not sure where that was from.

I definitely heard 'Proud to be a Cow' there as well, but I'm not sure who it was singing. It could have been the count singing 'proud to be the Count.' I guess that's another thing that needs 'splaining. But I'll check out the Wiki as well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppet fan community has taken to refer to these as "hidden gems" but i don't think that's the best term since they range to being very subtle/hidden to being pretty overt. That name started because the first we heard about them was the TP interview with Joey Mazzarino where he talked about gems hidden in each episode thus the term "Hidden Gems" made its way into the Muppet Freak Vernacular.
I think this is a semantics issue. The term was basically coined by Joey, and I guess it was colloquially referred to as that, and then it was officially coined by the fan base and ther SS staff.

I say, "old school shout outs" would be the most apropos name.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Most of the photos i saw were the one with Big Bird, Maria and Luis at the wedding and then one where he, Maria and Luis are holding new born Gabie. The other i saw was one was for a 90's season of the show with Gabie talking to i think it was Gina i believe and might be a muppet in there somewhere too.

And it was Maria singing the "Proud To Be A Cow" at the beginning of the show.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Harvey Kneeslapper popped up at the exact end of the street story and slapped a number 7 on Wolfgang's Beach Ball. I think Joey performed him here.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hooper's store displayed "A Loaf of Brad, A Container of Milk, and a Stick of Butter" on a chalkboard and Gordon was reading a book with a picture of Sesame Street's Solomon Grundy cartoon.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Now there's getting to be TWO gems in every episode? Double the fun!

dwmckim

Reaction score
There's been a few times where there's been more than one gem. No hard "rule"; basically there's "at least one" gem in each episode.

Mupp

Reaction score
I've got to say that I liked the fact that Lulu and Narf made an appearance in the Rainbow episode.

I noticed them right away, but the thing that I really got a kick out of was the fact that Lulu said "Oh I remember you guys!"
Its good to know that they have a sense of humor about the fact that Lulu was a "flop" character. (And I mean that in a nice way. :wink: )

dwmckim

Reaction score
I think Lulu's being dropped wasn't so much due to her being a "flop" but rather because of Stephanie's unavailability once Avenue Q became a runaway hit.