Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 40

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Okay... did Roosevelt Franklin appear at the very very very beginning, a split second after the theme song? I either missed it or they edited it out. Very disappointed by them if they did.
I was wondering the exact same thing. I didn't see any sign of RF. (Not to be confused with Don Knotts' charter Ralph Furley. Lol.) I wonder what was up with that.

•The "Ten Tiny Turtles" remake was OK as remakes go; the turtles and veggies looked reasonably close to Bud Luckey's originals, though I wish they hadn't tampered with the lyrics. (What on earth is wrong with "black-eyed peas" or "the ones that they call Brussels"?)
Hmmmm. I must have missed where they changed the lyrics. I did notice that they had a new singer there. His voice I really didn't care for. I wish they would have just played the original. Sure it might have cost extra, but I think it would have been worth it.

What I mean is Zoe, Rosita and Abby all hanging out together.
I think that's the trouble, a 'girlfriends' episode didn't seem to be something that worked for the season finale. Besides, where was Zoe anyway? Probably out getting her haircut for next season. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Season 40 wrap up

I just can't put my finger on it... but the 40th season seemed to disappoint me somehow... whether it was the results of the dwindling budget, the unavailability of certain performers, the heavy amount of Elmo episodes (some he basically was shoved into when he wasn't even a useful character). Maybe it was all of it, maybe it was the abrupt format change... but whatever the reason, it felt uneven.

Now, I can't complain about the street stories. They weren't the strongest written scenarios out there, but they weren't weak... not even middle of the road either. Only one I really didn't like was the camp out with Elmo and Chris one. One thing is for sure, and I said it before, the lack of many puppeteers on the same set and lack of kids and other extras made the show look like a ghost town half the season.

I like the idea of the Hidden Gem fan shout outs, but some of them weren't fully thought out. Seemed that there was more stuff you can only see in HD, provided they were broadcast in widescreen, and weren't covered by the PBS logo... or folded up in a newspaper that you couldn't see. Seems a LOT of them were puppeteer cameos, and somehow it seemed more like, "If you want to take a break, can you do it on set, in front of the camera?" The appearances by older characters were great, just not used as much as they should have been. The Roosevelt Franklin cameo that was even used in a publicity photo seemed to be cut out. They really should have put more classic characters in crowd scenes or looking out windows or something. But anything was more interesting than sort of humming the Willy Wimple song halfway through the end, where it was unrecognizable.

The celebrity and parody moments were pretty good... SW seems to have pulled the Jon and Kate parody, and I know that someone felt it was inappropriate, but I still wanted someone to nail the exploitative and voyeuristic series that SHOULDN'T be a headline. Liked D-Dance... liked the Special K parody of the Total commercials, liked the you only get this if you watch Sex and the City bit with SJP, LOVED Adam Sandler and Rickey Gervais. Adam hasn't been that funny since SNL, actually channeling his weird song writing bits from SNL. I'm pretty disappointed that Set your Piggys free was the anniversary celebrity edition of a song, especially since it was new. But I really think they could have done without Jason Unpronounceble Last Name's "Outdoors" song. I've been saying it for the longest time, but the celebrity parodies of their own songs don't have the same magic "Furry Happy Monsters" or "Wherever I see your Grouchy Face" or even "I really got a Hold on U" have, and seem like "Hey! Look Ma! I'm famous! I'm on the Sesame Place!" This one especially.

Now, I said what I can say about Abby, but I think I should bring it back up. I LOVE the segment, I LOVE the idea, I even don't mind the 9 minute running time (it can clearly be pruned down a little to be 6 or 7 minutes), but when you have only 10 episodes done, you do NOT put them on every day in a 26 episode season. Repetition ONLY works if the segments are short, snappy 30 second-1 minute bits. Considering that they reran this season to bulk out 26 episodes, you'd tend to see reruns of reruns reran over and over. That REALLY detracts from rewatchability. I was half expecting to see everything twice anyway (like Murray had a Little Lamb) but three times a season in supposedly "New" episodes? Not a very bright cost cutting move. Too bad they had NO choice.

And for that Matter, I REALLY wish they showed more Ernie and Bert Great Adventures than Murray had a little Lambs. The only thing new about them was the shortened intros. We saw all the Murray's twice last year, we still have yet to see Ernie and Berts.

As for the tune in... I still think it's a bad idea. They're trying to turn Sesame Street into a block of disconnected programs to compete with the same junk. The difference is, those block programmings ARE actual blocks of programming, connecting full half hour shows together. SS does this artificially, and inconsistently. After all, SS is a single show. HOWEVER, I like Murray hosting the letters and numbers of the day. Now, I want to see that continued, but with NEW footage for next year. We can do without his guessing games (some of which were used a whopping 4 times), and give that time to shorter, older segments.

The one ray of improvement is that this season had better new letter and number segments. Too bad there were few of them. Salty and Pierre? Brilliance. I hope they become official recurring non-Muppets like Teeny Little Super Guy, Noodles and Ned and the like. I even kinda dug the picnic ants army call. But the Sesame Street English Hello Kitty Flash animated versions of Cookie Monster and Elmo (in some cases, the only way Cookie was even on the show) were flops. Very bland, repetitive, and went on twice as long as they should have. And Annoying after a while.

This season had some of the most repetitive use of segments I've seen, something that was disturbingly increasing with every season. Reruns of stuff we got sick of last season like "Pre-School Musical." At least they gave American I a 2 year wait before they reran it. As the 40th season, I wish they took some initiative and reused older segments. There's a LOT of stuff that's timeless that could fit in perfectly. But they squandered that potential, and gave us the dang Kids paint a Mural and boring Karen Aqua animations again. But less than previous seasons... that's good I suppose.

But when it boils down the one thing that was disappointing was the lack of variety in characters. Now, I wonder what the availability for David, Eric, and Steve was (again, they're working with the Muppet Show characters too), and I think that could have been a big problem. Matt is helping Jerry's Characters stay on the show... but it really felt like they had to film a bunch of episodes in one day, and only certain puppeteers would be paid if they stayed late. Again, deserted ghost town. They could have at LEAST used them in older segments. We had a couple Cookie Monsters in street stories and one Grover, and a few separate segments with Grover, but Ernie and Bert didn't appear in ANY new footage, not even in the background silently. And it felt like there were no new characters this season. Ann Phibean, that's it.

All and all, I really REALLY hope SS gets more money next year. They NEED all they can get to keep the show with original footage, and less stuff made for foreign markets (though they are welcome) in the series. Here's hoping that more people bought Sesame Street stuff for Season 41's budget. Had I the money, I'd get to Target and get all the Collect-a-pals and dollar section goods I can.

InvaderZim

Reaction score
More wiredness by ABC1-in #4197, "Everbody's Song" with Rocco Fiorentino aired (which is actually in #4207).

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
No new E&B sketches

Ernie and Bert didn't appear in ANY new footage, not even in the background silently. And it felt like there were no new characters this season. Ann Phibean, that's it.
Nor have the dynamic duo appeared in new footage in the last few years... at least in no new sketches... :mad: :cry:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Nor have the dynamic duo appeared in new footage in the last few years... at least in no new sketches... :mad: :cry:
It's pretty sad if you think about it. 2 of the show's most core muppets - maybe they did get evicted from 123 after all huh?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, it all depends on the availability of Steve and Eric. The only footage that had Steve in it was the 10 second Kermit cameo. Eric was Grover a couple times... that's about it. After all, Disney really WANTS to relaunch the characters, and we've seen a major effort the past year. It could very well be the case that Steve and Eric were busy with appearances and web videos, and unable to come in to perform them. And, again, if The Cheapest muppet Movie gets filmed during SS's filming season, we're likely to see a LOT less of characters by them and David (possibly Matt Vogel).

Of course, there was no reason to have them silently in the background somewhere. I'm all for one Muppet one voice... but that's ONLY when they're talking.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, Dave seemed to be pretty active this year. I mean Baby Bear got quite a bit of airtime and we've even got Cookie Monster in a few street scenes, so it's possible that he'll still be around. After all, how many Muppet Show characters does he perform? I know he's taken over as Scooter and Janice, so maybe you're right. We'll have to wait and see how things turn out next season.

InvaderZim

Reaction score
Does David Rudman voice Cookie in the insert for "T" (taken Sesame Street English)?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I fanally was able to catch two episodes this season and while they're entertaining, the fullscreen is really crappy. I mean, Elmo asking which tool is the shape of the letter C, and we only see part of it. The kids would think, "That's not a C, that looks like part of an O." I know D'Snowth doesn't like widescreen, but he should realise how much better it is.

InvaderZim

Reaction score
On #4208 in Australia the E&B segment "Adding,adding,adding" wasn't aired-E&B doing "ding along song" was played instead.