Warner Home Video now distributing Sesame Workshop DVDs

D'Snowth

Reaction score

Drtooth

Reaction score
In the words of a certain Ren and Stimpy character, "No Sir, I don't like it." True, Genius entertainment is no more, but their licenses were picked up by a smaller company, who I believe could have done a better job.

We;re talking about a company that absolutely hates releasing kid's media in anything but overpriced volume sets, and not collectible season/series sets. They pulled crap with the Smurfs DVD's, releasing them first in affordable Season sets, opting to make overpriced 4 episode "Volumes" for kids who are basically too young to even care. All I can see are overpriced re-releases of older DVD's and newer DVD's with no bonus content, and the complete cession of collector friendly old school sets.

To reiterate, no sir, I don't like it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just groaned about this on another thread. Really... Warner Bros? You couldn't find a WORSE company to do business with? A company that's under the impression people still buy (As I've said in 2 threads now) 4 episode 15 dollar baby volumes? Really... everyone knows kids LOVE waiting 6-8 months to get 4 episodes of their favorite show just so they can be discontinued halfway through due to low sales.

You're NOT going to get anything good out of this. We can kiss any chance of seeing Old School Vol 3 (or anything like that) ever again. These guys have a TERRIBLE history of listening to fans and collectors. Sure, they start DVD releases, and then abruptly stop them for the oh so profitable "Family" market of kids too young to know or care about certain cartoons.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
ya just because its a big name does not mean that it is the best thing in the whole world.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Shout! Factory probably would've been a better choice.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wasn't WB the last hold-out on uniform DVD packaging? They used that eyesore flipbox until a year or so ago. What they've done to their own Luney Tunes collections is almost criminal. :attitude:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What happened to Sony Wonder?

No seriously, what happened to them? I don't know all the details, I heard they got bought out or something.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
What happened to Sony Wonder?

No seriously, what happened to them? I don't know all the details, I heard they got bought out or something.
From my understanding, Sony didn't want to use that division of the company anymore for home video distribution. But then the brandname became re-used for Sony's family-oriented releases.

I'm personally excited about Warner Home Video having the rights to the Sesame Street titles. For what it's worth, they do put some reasonable DVD's out (at least the ones I have) so I trust them with the Sesame Street properties. Besides, don't doubt an Old School Vol. 3, WHV is king when it comes to apparently children's oriented box sets.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Knowing Warner Bros. this will probably mean they'll remove countless classic (and modern) clips from YouTube due to copyright infringement.
Obviously, SW would have sorted out these kinds of details before hand. Plus, WB only owns the distribution rights.