Where is Steve Whitmire Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Disney may just not be commenting to the public, it may even be a standard policy not to. It doesn't mean they are avoiding it. I'm sure something will be said sooner rather than later.
Then of course there's the third theory... they might not know what's going on either, and are unable to comment because they don't have any information.

Now, I have a feeling that Steve couldn't have been fired, nor would they replace anyone with sound-a-likes. Why? Because Eric, Bill, Dave, and other Henson employees are still there, and they've been performing the characters at D23 last week. Now, if Disney were to have problems with Steve, wouldn't it just make sense for the other performers who have worked for them so far to get angry enough to quit or "strike" out of solidarity? And if they were indeed replacing them with sound-a-likes, why would they keep said performers around? Somehow that just doesn't add up.

So far, we've basically seen 2 performances without Steve... and frankly, 2 live performances within a week of each other, while unnerving, doesn't really say much about if Disney's replacing Steve or not. Maybe he's busy with something else, maybe he has a personal matter (which, at the risk of sounding mean, isn't any of our business).

And again... hypothetically speaking, if Steve decided to move on and he gave his blessing for someone else to play the frog, wouldn't we support that? Sure, I like Frank Oz as a muppeteer and all, but I respect his choice to have a film career (yes... even that Stepford Wives movie), So, if somehow Steve made a choice to leave by his own will (hypothetically, since we know nothing yet), shouldn't we support that as well?

Luke

Reaction score
Now, I have a feeling that Steve couldn't have been fired, nor would they replace anyone with sound-a-likes. Why? Because Eric, Bill, Dave, and other Henson employees are still there, and they've been performing the characters at D23 last week. Now, if Disney were to have problems with Steve, wouldn't it just make sense for the other performers who have worked for them so far to get angry enough to quit or "strike" out of solidarity?

And again... hypothetically speaking, if Steve decided to move on and he gave his blessing for someone else to play the frog, wouldn't we support that?
The Muppeteers are freelancers, so as far as i know, they can't get fired, just not used. From rumours here it sounds like a contract negotiations thing, but who knows. I don't think it is a case of Steve just having flu or something, having a different Kermit actually out there speaking live is a major thing after 20 years .. they wouldn't have made that move easily even if there was an Americas Got Talent booked.

As to if Steve gave up Kermit and kind of passed the torch onto someone else (ie - Artie or whoever) i don't think the fanbase should automatically accept anyone that is given the job. We are supposed to be fans of the performance and judge them on that, as we have been doing so if they did well then i'm sure everybody would say so. Steve got enough criticism when he first performed Kermit.

Bottom line though, aside from us missing Steve, is that its a crucial time for the Muppets with however many millions invested in them and a comeback on the horizon, everything they do needs to be 100% perfect so that people embrace them back. I appreciate Disney may be doing the best they can to cover whatever the situation is, but i just hope they realise that this couldn't have happened at a worse time and throwing in this alternate performer is not of equal quality and people have noticed this outside of the fan community.

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
My Head hurts... Did anyone remember that Steve is no Geek and does not use the Internet thingie? Maybe ask wojit-whatiz of he has any insight? Just a thought.

Blinky_Fish

Reaction score
On another note - Imagine his Monster dot com resume... That would be a HA!larious read if he really was looking. Just a lighter side look at the dillio - It's Friday - Smile :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppeteers are freelancers, so as far as i know, they can't get fired, just not used. From rumours here it sounds like a contract negotiations thing, but who knows. I don't think it is a case of Steve just having flu or something, having a different Kermit actually out there speaking live is a major thing after 20 years .. they wouldn't have made that move easily even if there was an Americas Got Talent booked.
Freelancers... well that changes my theory... but not by much. I still think if Disney and Steve were having some sort of falling out, the others, who have worked with him for years, wouldn't have been too happy with it, and foreseeable leave. It definitely supports my idea that they won't be going with cheaper sound a-likes... Disney would never do that ....Warner Bros, yes... (the entire cast of Baby Looney Tunes- sans June Foray- was cheaper, Canadian voice actors... as was Tom and jerry Tales- Droopy and Spike were recast for it). In fact, WB has so many people doing voices of one character... it's almost as if they go by a basis of whoever is available. Talk about inconsistancy.

Now, right... someone's gonna say "What are you talking about? Disney replaces actors all the time." ONLY with movie roles that were previously held by A and B list celebrities that would cost too much to get on an episodic basis. And let's not forget the whole Disney/Robin Williams thing, either... but they got him a Picasso, and everything worked out. but either way, these roles are held by A-class American Californian based union voice actors... the Jim Cummings, Rob Paulsen, Tom Kenny types. And as far as their own characters are concerned, they tend to keep them as long as they are available (not retired or still alive). They did replace Paul Winchell as Tigger before he passed on... but I think he was retired at that point. They did get him back to do a couple Pooh movies before then, though...

That said, I'm glad someone brought up Futurama... I never thought for a second Fox was going to replace their actors. Never. They did however, psych the actors out, and I swear they DID leak the news about the contract disputes... again, to
psych them all out. I doubt any of the creators and writers of the show would want anything to do with it if they didn't get the originals back. And even then, us fans reacted badly to the surprise Kermit recast? Think of what would have happened if thousands of Futurama fans tuned in to see wrong sounding Bender. You'd think they'd go to all that effort of trying to get the show back on the air to tick the fans off? it was all a sly bargaining chip so they could get the VA's to work for less than they wanted.

I still say the premier episode should begin with the wrong voice actors doing the characters in a very flat, amateurish tone... only to have Amy clean out her ears or knock over a machine or something, and having everyone sound normal again.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I have yet to hear/see the recent Kermit appearance at the VMA's. It is concerning as a Muppet fan and a HUGE Steve Whitmire fan, however, I'm not going to let my world fall apart because of it. If Steve for whatever reason is no longer performing Kermit or is not playing him for live appearances, I am sure when the timing is right, we will be told why.

To bash Artie is unfair as maybe he's not the best Kermit right now but I highly doubt any of us here can do any better and being he has been a participant to our boards in the past, we should be excited and happy for him. All these negative posts are sad to read.

I was actually more disappointed to read that people here have been continually calling up the Disney/Henson offices to find out what's going on. That's not going to get anybody anywhere and it's going to leave a bad taste in Disney's mouth and give them a bad view of the fan base. They will not take us seriously as concerned fans if we continue forward with those kinds of actions. I know we all want to know what's going on. I think enough people here and on other Muppet fan sites know those who work behind the scenes where when they are able to will give us answers. Sit tight, everyone.

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
IMHO, Disney most certainly should not issue a press release or make a formal statement of any kind. I said this elsewhere, but one of the greatest PR advantages the Muppets have is that the news media treats them like actual celebrities. Sure, the people on the Today Show have a little childish grin on their faces, but they just go with it.

The only people who look beneath the Muppets are "Fanboys" -- the type of people who post on MuppetCentral or ToughPigs and those Jim-Hill-type people who are fascinated learning what type of fiberglass they're using on the latest Disneyland attraction.

I expect something will eventually be leaked intentionally, and we'll have to be satisfied with that, and just keep churning away here in our speculation until then.

All that being said, one reason nobody in the media acknowledges the felt and foam is that they know they'll look bad and be terribly upstaged by the Muppets (we've seen it happen). If the people performing the Muppets are not good enough performers to upstage the interviewers (read: Kermit at the VMA's), then we've got a bigger problem...

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Maybe Steve is smoking them out- maybe Disney isnt paying him enough and he is holding out on them to let them see how much he is worth and all of our attempts at letting them know how much his is missed is helping Steve get what he deserves for all this work Disney suddenly wants him to do! :smile: Makes me feel better anyway :big_grin:

Is Dave Goelz in on this whole "putting life back into the Muppets" plan? or is he bowing out respectfully? or *gasp* did Disney get rid of him too?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is Dave Goelz in on this whole "putting life back into the Muppets" plan? or is he bowing out respectfully? or *gasp* did Disney get rid of him too?

This is WHY we shouldn't speculate. Dave was still there at the D23... as was Bill and Eric... and quite possibly a few others who don't have speaking lines and only helped perform the others. Just because Steve has been "missing" doesn't mean that everyone else is gone, especially when they're clearly still here...

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
As for Kermit... well... he holds everything together. it took forever for them to really get him back into the spotlight, even with Steve... which is why he had minor roles (or more minor than the previous films) in MCC and MTI, and why Clifford is the host of Muppets Tonight. Now, whatever reason, emergency recast, understudy, alternate... we have someone else doing Kermit, and he doesn't quite have the experience some of the other puppeteers have, and he's got the role of the most important and popular character. I also think that once he gets further used to the role and gets comfortable with it, he can easily perform Kermit the way Eric eventually did with Frank's characters. Seems to me his performance was stiff because it was his first time doing it in public. Maybe, just maybe he was trying too hard, and he was nervous. I'm sure Muppet Insider saw better off the cuff, not really that important bits Artie did that were much looser, and more Kermit like.
I agree. Artie has a lot of potential as I've noticed on the MTV thing. If the time ever came that Steve could no longer perform Kermit, I could see Artie performing him regularly. But we're all hoping that we're not at that point yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.