The New Movie: The Muppets

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I heard that filming has wrapped -- is that so? If so, any word on when to expect a trailer?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

muppetperson

Reaction score
I heard that filming has wrapped -- is that so? If so, any word on when to expect a trailer?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
Yes, filming is now wrapped.No word on a trailer, but I doubt they will start too soon as the build up will loose momentum if people dont see it a few months since they saw a preview and it still isnt out, so I would take a guess and say it wont be before August.:wisdom:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Yes, filming is now wrapped.No word on a trailer, but I doubt they will start too soon as the build up will loose momentum if people dont see it a few months since they saw a preview and it still isnt out, so I would take a guess and say it wont be before August.:wisdom:
That's probably not right... August is WAY too late to show the first trailer. We'll probably see a teaser in front of this summer's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Ties or Cars 2 or even Winnie the Pooh--if not all three.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And it's a well known fact that August is the dead movie month... it would be suicide to release a trailer then. Really, if we don't see something by Winne the Pooh, I'm going to be nervous.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been wondering, if this new movie is a big enough hit, I wonder if Disney will have Segal and Stoller work on more Muppet movies (or if those two would be interested in doing more Muppet movies, despite being fans). Heck, if we get another movie within the next few years I wonder if they'll title it "The Muppets 2" ("Return of the Muppets" might be a better title, but that's what this one should have been called).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't want to see a 2. There has NEVER been a Muppet 2 of any of the movies... unless you count MTI being a semi-follow up to MCC. That's the magic. They can take the characters and put them in different wacky situations without having to follow any bothersome stuff like continuity or canon. Though, VMX did reference the first movie as far as mentioning Doc Hopper's in the alternate timeline. And Yes, I do hear there were small references to other films in the new movie... but other than that, they just don't connect, nor do they have to.

Case in point, TMM and MTM. One's about a road trip to get to Hollywood to become stars, the other's about them being High School (or is it college) students trying to get to Broadway. Now, you could try to connect the films together, using the logic that they may have became stars, but decided to go to college to hone their craft and get formal training only to want to become Broadway stars instead... but then of course you'd have to look past the logic that they were stars and could have easily gotten into Broadway through their fame in the first place. It just works better if you don't, and like GMC, they're just playing themselves in a movie. That's the only canon I see as a constant, that they're a troupe of actors/singers/whatevers and all the movies are just them acting in movies. I rationalize that to say Gonzo isn't an alien.

I'd rather see another direction taken, just as long as it's not another classic retelling. It would be great to see Jason and the rest write and produce the next one, but they don't have to.

hoopless

Reaction score
That's probably not right... August is WAY too late to show the first trailer. We'll probably see a teaser in front of this summer's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Ties or Cars 2 or even Winnie the Pooh--if not all three.
I feel August would be too late also. Most films you see a trailer 6 months or more before the release. In one of the CinemaCon interviews last motnh, Jason Segel said that he would be at Comicon with Amy Adams. If that's the case, I would think that will be where the trailer is first shown, or at least hope so. That's about mid July I think.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think some people said they expect this upcoming film to represent how the Muppets "really" act when not in a movie or series. If that's true, then I wonder if Statler and Waldorf will be portrayed in the film as actors who are part of the Muppets, as opposed to audience members who usually dislike the Muppets.

muppetperson

Reaction score
I feel August would be too late also. Most films you see a trailer 6 months or more before the release. In one of the CinemaCon interviews last motnh, Jason Segel said that he would be at Comicon with Amy Adams. If that's the case, I would think that will be where the trailer is first shown, or at least hope so. That's about mid July I think.
I just feel that you guys are too ancious to see the trailer.The movie is seven months away and still getting edited.Maybe the timings are different over there, but here there is only 2 or 3 months lead up(which is a fair amount of time to wait for a coming soon preview).For example, I have only recently seen the Smurf movie trailer, which is a few months away.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, late or not late, it's a bad time to advertise movies. Again, movies that are released in August are doomed to failure. August is when the fall style films (semi-indie) come out. Kid's movies don't fair well. I bet if G.I. Joe wasn't dumped off in August, people would have remembered a G.I. Joe movie was made (and Marshall's wouldn't be perpetually trying to clear the toys out and raise the price and clear them out again).

I don't think we're too anxious to see the trailer. We just want news that there is one. If only they filmed a teaser with NO connection to the movie's plot, like This VHS teaser for Muppets From Space, they could have hinted one was coming out. Though, I doubt they would have had it ready for Rapunzel anyway.

Again, the best time for the trailer (and it IS sneaking up on the 6 months away period) is May-July. Hopefully we'll see one by then, and it will be attached to a movie Disney thinks will do well.