The New Movie: The Muppets

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes, but There are 2 things about it that bug me.

1) Disney has been distancing themselves from that, knowing that it is indeed profitable and keeping it up, but not as to turn everything into a commercial for those shows specifically. In fact, walk into a Disney Store. Other than some music videos on screen, there isn't an avalanche of Jonas/Hanna Montana/whatever the heck else there is shirts and toys. Nope. Even outside of that, Tween pop stuff is either going at deep discount clearance (even DVD copies of High School Musical) or just non-existant. Let's all remember, it wasn't all that long ago where even Mickey and Donald... even Pooh bear hisself were given the back seat to the tween pop stars. Disney realized there is more to marketing than one small focus group, but rather many different kinds.

2) It isn't so much about forcing a tween star into there as cross market promotion. Now, again NBC does it ALL the time, having stars of their shows do voice work in Despicable Me for instance. The film and the tween coms should both be strong enough that they don't need to advertise each other. Even if I liked the tweencoms, I'd still feel this was essentially the same as Mater driving up, onscreen and saying "YEeeHAWWW! Our second movie is out on DVD! And if ya'll git the Blu Ray, you gits 3 hours of bonus footage."

I guess it really isn't all that bad (though I still hope it's a rumor), but this movie doesn't need to advertise anything. They wouldn't let Jason walk around wearing a T-Shirt that says "Watch How I Met Your Mother: Mondays on CBS, daily in syndication, and on Hulu."

dwmckim

Reaction score
Exactly what i was thinking too, Terri. I think it's actually really cool that someone i admire that i never thought would end up in a Muppet movie will be in one.

beaker

Reaction score
Yes, but There are 2 things about it that bug me.

1) Disney has been distancing themselves from that, knowing that it is indeed profitable and keeping it up, but not as to turn everything into a commercial for those shows specifically. In fact, walk into a Disney Store. Other than some music videos on screen, there isn't an avalanche of Jonas/Hanna Montana/whatever the heck else there is shirts and toys. Nope. Even outside of that, Tween pop stuff is either going at deep discount clearance (even DVD copies of High School Musical) or just non-existant. Let's all remember, it wasn't all that long ago where even Mickey and Donald... even Pooh bear hisself were given the back seat to the tween pop stars. Disney realized there is more to marketing than one small focus group, but rather many different kinds.

2) It isn't so much about forcing a tween star into there as cross market promotion. Now, again NBC does it ALL the time, having stars of their shows do voice work in Despicable Me for instance. The film and the tween coms should both be strong enough that they don't need to advertise each other. Even if I liked the tweencoms, I'd still feel this was essentially the same as Mater driving up, onscreen and saying "YEeeHAWWW! Our second movie is out on DVD! And if ya'll git the Blu Ray, you gits 3 hours of bonus footage."

I guess it really isn't all that bad (though I still hope it's a rumor), but this movie doesn't need to advertise anything. They wouldn't let Jason walk around wearing a T-Shirt that says "Watch How I Met Your Mother: Mondays on CBS, daily in syndication, and on Hulu."
Just wanted to say, not all teen comedies on tv are bad.
I submit: Saved by the Bed, Boy Meets World, Clarissa Explains It All, All That, Keenan And Kell, etc. All fine programs of which I would gladly own the boxsets of. Yet, you're right...there's something so artificially bright and garish about the 2000's tween star stuff. I couldnt STAND Muppets Studio DC or whatever it was called. Saw both episodes and couldnt get into it, and I certainly wouldnt buy the dvd. (And I usually buy any dvd with Muppets stamped on it)

Also, why hasn't Russel Brand been officially announced yet? Or Jonah Hill? I mean come on

beaker

Reaction score
James Carville ... I wonder if he'll be hosting a political Crossfire-type show with Sam the Eagle.
Yes! I swear, the rise of the conservative talk show/cable network
media in the last few years and Sam the Eagle has never been used to spoof that...strange. Though we did get that grouch Muppet guest on Bill O'reilly

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just wanted to say, not all teen comedies on tv are bad.
I submit: Saved by the Bed, Boy Meets World, Clarissa Explains It All, All That, Keenan And Kell, etc. All fine programs of which I would gladly own the boxsets of. Yet, you're right...there's something so artificially bright and garish about the 2000's tween star stuff. I couldnt STAND Muppets Studio DC or whatever it was called. Saw both episodes and couldnt get into it, and I certainly wouldnt buy the dvd. (And I usually buy any dvd with Muppets stamped on it)
Those were GOOD, though. Well, I'm not a hufge SBTB fan, but I enjoyed it to an extent... but Keenan and Kel? Sigh, I still lament the day they split up. And Kel's like only the token black in SNL! He's like the most talented guy on there now.

Even Stevens was pretty good though. Caught a few episodes on ABC kids. Even that Hillary Duff thing had its moments... but I find these pop star shows to be garish and only out to make a double deal with said pop music. And of course, that stuff became so popular, it Wal*marted the competition until they came up with lousy clones that no one actually watched. I'm glad Disney (and in cases, the stars themselves) are distancing themselves from that now and getting onto things for everyone. But really, those were some DARK times. Even Pooh was left in the lurch... and we all know how they love to overexpose Pooh.

Yes! I swear, the rise of the conservative talk show/cable network
media in the last few years and Sam the Eagle has never been used to spoof that...strange. Though we did get that grouch Muppet guest on Bill O'reilly
Yeah, and have :crazy: as Glenn Blecck. but enough of that stuff.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
So did anyone ever determine if Gaffer is going to have some lines in the new movie?

Muppetplus

Reaction score
And Kel's like only the token black in SNL! He's like the most talented guy on there now.
You mean Keenan, right? That's okay. I'm sure everybody got Keenan and Kel mixed up at some point.

dwmckim

Reaction score
So did anyone ever determine if Gaffer is going to have some lines in the new movie?
LOL! It would be odd if all of a sudden Gaffer had an English vocabulary as opposed to the noises she's always made previously.