The New Movie: The Muppets

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
I was wondering if Pepe was going to be in this movie or not since, suprisingly there's been no sight of him with all these behind the scenes pics. There's also been no sign of Rizzo too, I've noticed. I know this is an attempt to bring back the vibe of the first three films and TMS, and if it's looking like Segel's doing this by bringing characters who haven't been in the spotlight since Jim and Richard's deaths back to the fore, then that's great, I'm all for it! I never thought anything like that would ever be done so it makes me unbelievably happy that it's looking like this could be the case with this film. But Rizzo was a part of TMS and the latter two films (his character being properly introduced in the third film) so I think he should be there. I obviously don't know whether he or Pepe are or aren't part of this but of course, at the moment it's looking to be a possibility.

If Pepe isn't in this film, then that doesn't bother me too much. I can understand why it'd bother people who love him though. I don't hate Pepe, I'm not a big fan though but I have grown quite fond of him lately. I think one good thing that would come out of Pepe's possible absense or just not being in it much, is that it can give Bill Barretta more time with Rowlf (if he is back in the main core).

That's one thing that's bothered me about the Scooter, Rowlf, Janice, Dr. Teeth, Robin and Floyd recasts. It's great that they've finally found permanant performers for these characters but in the last few productions since then, they hadn't really given the performers a lot to do with them. At the risk of jinxing it (call me superstitious if you like), there's a good chance this movie will fix that. I hope so anyway. I think Bill Barretta, David Rudman and Matt Vogel do a great job with these characters, it's just a shame we haven't gotten to see their full potential so far.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Regarding Pepe...lets not forget that in MCC Miss Piggy only had about 12 lines (I remember counting them once and it was surprisingly few) but she still had a major impact on the movie!

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's one thing that's bothered me about the Scooter, Rowlf, Janice, Dr. Teeth, Robin and Floyd recasts. It's great that they've finally found permanant performers for these characters but in the last few productions since then, they hadn't really given the performers a lot to do with them. At the risk of jinxing it (call me superstitious if you like), there's a good chance this movie will fix that. I hope so anyway. I think Bill Barretta, David Rudman and Matt Vogel do a great job with these characters, it's just a shame we haven't gotten to see their full potential so far.
Here's how I see it. Some of these characters have been officially recast years ago, but we haven't had many projects with them in it. Scooter got lines in Studio DC, Letters to Santa, and one of the virals, I didn't hear Janice as much. Bill has been Rowlf since at least 2002 or so. He had a whole scene in an MTV behind the video for that Weezer song. Though, again, his Rowlf and Bobo are similar, as his Bobo voice was a semi-tribute to Rolf.

But Robin we only heard once. Floyd we've heard in a Christmas Album and seen in a couple performances.

If nothing else the classic angle will give the performers bigger chances to play these parts. Even when Eric took over for Frank, he had more play with his Sesame Street characters, vs Fozzie and Piggy.

As for Pepe, I'd love to see his performances turn into "Garfield and Friends" like fourth wall complaining about not being in the film that much.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
But Robin we only heard once. Floyd we've heard in a Christmas Album and seen in a couple performances.
Actually... Vogel's Floyd we've only heard on Letters to Santa, Studio DC, Rockefeller Christmas, and "Bohemain Rhapsody" but on Green and Red it was John Kennedy... and quite frankly, Matt's Floyd is much better than John's.

MadForPepe

Reaction score
I was wondering if Pepe was going to be in this movie or not since, suprisingly there's been no sight of him with all these behind the scenes pics. There's also been no sign of Rizzo too, I've noticed. I know this is an attempt to bring back the vibe of the first three films and TMS, and if it's looking like Segel's doing this by bringing characters who haven't been in the spotlight since Jim and Richard's deaths back to the fore, then that's great, I'm all for it! I never thought anything like that would ever be done so it makes me unbelievably happy that it's looking like this could be the case with this film. But Rizzo was a part of TMS and the latter two films (his character being properly introduced in the third film) so I think he should be there. I obviously don't know whether he or Pepe are or aren't part of this but of course, at the moment it's looking to be a possibility.

If Pepe isn't in this film, then that doesn't bother me too much. I can understand why it'd bother people who love him though. I don't hate Pepe, I'm not a big fan though but I have grown quite fond of him lately. I think one good thing that would come out of Pepe's possible absense or just not being in it much, is that it can give Bill Barretta more time with Rowlf (if he is back in the main core).

I'm not such a die hard fan of the muppets as most of you out here on this forum, so I can understand the support for highlighting the characters that have always been in the Muppet Show. I think it's great for kids too, because nowadays there only seems to be an overdose of commercialized action and fighting going on. The Muppets are more like being true to yourself, they've got an emotional appeal (in my best English).

Pepe doesn't need to be 'a muppet' but he could have his own show or movie. I love him because he's so **** funny. He just makes me laugh with his over the top, totally wrong comments. And not just me, but a lot of my friends too who don't have much with the muppets. Maybe thats his problem. Kids don't get it and the adults who are going to a muppets movie, aren't going for him?

Anyway if he's not in this movie than I hope there's still another future for him elsewhere. And I still would love to see some good Pepe merchandise! Here I go again.............:rolleyes:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I've just compiled a comprehensive list of every celebrity confirmed, rumored, or denied for a cameo in The Muppets.

http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2011/01/great-muppet-cameo-rundown.html

Note that there are 16 confirmed cameos--the same amount as The Muppet Movie. I don't know if there will be more than that, but for some reason I have to think there will. But... we won't know anything for sure until November 23rd!

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Hey, sorry I'm sure this has been brought up, but I'm just wondering if there is a list of muppets that are confirmed to be in this movie?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I was wondering about Pepe too. He has become one of the major Muppet stars since 'Muppets From Space' so I'm assuming he would be, but maybe you're right about this being a 'back to the beginning' thing. Though if that's the case, they ought to make a 'Sesame Street' movie without Elmo. Lol.

terrimonster

Reaction score
I'll be hugely disappointed if Pepe doesn't have much of a role in this. I'm a big Pepe fan, but that's not really why I'll be disappointed. Bill is a fantastic performer, and Pepe and Bobo really give him opportunities to shine. I'm sure he'll do a great job with Rowlf/Dr. Teeth, but performing someone else's characters can really constrain a performer. When I watch clips of Pepe interviewed on talk shows (Bonnie Hunt comes to mind), I'm reminded of Frank Oz's appearances as Miss Piggy and Cookie Monster (think Cookie on Martha Stewart). From what I've seen, Bill seems to be the new standard-bearer for the spirit of Frank and Jim. All of the current Muppeteers are great performers, but Bill really seems to "get it," and he's great at thinking on his feet and diving into his characters. But maybe that's just because he and Dave are the only ones who primarily perform characters they created.

It's part of what I see as the biggest potential problem for the Muppets going forward. From Sam and Friends through Jim's death, and even into MT for that matter, the Muppets were always a very fluid group. Characters were constantly phased in and out, and even one-shot characters became main characters when they worked. But the Muppets need another outlet in order to thrive. The Muppet Show happened because of the skits done on Ed Sullivan and other shows, most of which featured puppets that audiences didn't already know. I'd love to see videos on the Muppets Studio YouTube channel that don't necessarily feature the core characters. Give Eric, Matt and David the opportunity to be more than the replacements for Frank, Jerry and Richard. Let them develop new characters. Let Bill work more with Pepe, Bobo, Carl and whatever other of his characters can capture an audience. Let the Muppets be inventive again.

I'm really excited for the movie, and especially excited to see some classic characters come back. But the idea of a "core group" of Muppets, even in Jim's day, is something of a myth. If they limit themselves in terms of characters, I'm afraid they'll also limit themselves in terms of creativity.