The closing themes of Sesame Street

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, that's a very interesting question. The calypso music that replaced the harmonica music at the end of Season 24 is still being used today at the beginning, but only lasted a few years at the end. I think the reason for this is because I always thought it had somewhat of a poignant sound to it at the end of the episode. As if they were sad to leave. So, in Season 27, they made this new version of the theme. It actually featured part of the original opening theme, and most of it was actually harmonica music. It wasn't the original, but I think it was made to sound like the original. Sometimes it would actually feature the very last harmonica riff at the end of the original, but not always. It was actually in Season 34 that the original returned, which is one season before Trash Gordon premiered. And then in Season 35, Trash Gordon came along, and it was played at the end of that. For some reason, in Season 36, they went back to using the 1995 version, and now, for Season 37, they're using the original again.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Actually, i remember the harmonica theme in the intro of ever show being on and off over the years. I actually never remember it ending. I thing they used to switch out in sometime in the late nineties again, but I could be wrong. But at anytime, they used the new opening at the beginning and the original one at the end.

gutchman

Reaction score
ssetta, did the SS episodes titled "nighttime on Sesame Street" always have the sleepytime version of the Sesame Street theme at the end of them?

gutchman

Reaction score
ssetta, I have a question about the ending of SS episode 2485, where Maria and Luis got married. According to muppet wikia, everyone dances during the closing credits. Do the credits appear over the scene of everyone dancing, or are the Barkley and the Kids credits shown? Also, which version of the Sesame Street theme plays in the background?

ssetta

Reaction score
The credits do appear over everyone dancing, and it's actually a special version of the theme only used this time. There was a live band playing it.

Rubber Duckie

Reaction score
You guys will not believe this. I ran into a clip from the ending of show 2367 on YouTube, which was uploaded by a guy named tvcollector. In the clip, David is locking up Hooper's for the night, with a turtle still inside eating his dinner. Gordon comments that it will take him all night to finish his meal. However, David reminds him that the turtle is slow. Gordon then comments that the turtle will likely want breakfast when David comes back to open up again in the morning, but David reminds Gordon that the turtle will be eating at home the next day. From what I can tell, I will assume that 2367 ends at night, however, the regular harmonica music is used. The sponsors for 2367, which contain a voiceover by Maria, are I, K and 11. Maria also does the voiceover for the "Sesame Street is a production of the Children's Television Workshop" line at the end. Right after that is the funding credits, which contain the familiar bells and horns music, followed by the 1984 PBS logo.

gutchman

Reaction score
ssetta, I have a question about episode 2123's ending. Does the folding sesame street sign and CTW logo underneath the sign appear at the end of that episode, or is the actual SS sign on the post shown and just the words "Children's Television Workshop" appear?

ssetta

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the actual sign is shown. However, I don't remember if the words were shown or not.

Dunebasher

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post, so be gentle :smile:

I'm British, and in the early 80s we used to get Sesame Street once a week, on Saturday mornings. The closing sequence I remember best is the "steering wheel" one; having read the previous posts in this thread, that must have meant that the episodes of Sesame Street we were getting in the UK were several years old. Anyhoo, does anyone know if this sequence is available online or on DVD?

mjb1124

Reaction score
I've been longing to see that sequence myself. The only ones I remember from my childhood are the Barkley sequence and the current animated one, and more recently I've seen the tenement building scroll thanks to various resources. The steering wheel sequence hasn't shown up online, but it will probably appear on Old School Vol. 2 which will be released in November.

Wow, this thread sure has legs...