Will Muppet Babies ever be reaired or released on DVD?

Drtooth

Reaction score
You're very right, Drtooth, about Disney never finishing their animated TV releases :/ That does not bode well.
It's quite bothersome. Unless they continue to release Muppet projects separately and treat it like a separate entity. I mean, they were able to get Dinosaurs in 2 sets, WITH features. Looking at Darkwing Duck, all I can say is... how the heck hard is it to get Jim Cummings to sit down for a half hour and talk for 5 minutes worth of footage?

I could see, if everything worked out fine, a MB collection that's treated better than the stuff they own, or some of the stuff they got from buying Fox Family (why the got The Tick and Saban produced Marvel series). I could see them getting in Frank Welker, Greg Berg, and people like that. Russi Taylor at least... I mean, she IS Minnie after all.

I still think they should start small... bibs and baby notions... maybe some nice toys.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I expect some themed or best-of volumes of the Muppet Babies whenever Disney decides to release them. I doubt they'll bother with the hassle of securing the music and clip rights to all 107 or so episodes. I could be wrong. Even as a non-fan of the Babies, I see that there's gold in full sets!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I expect some themed or best-of volumes of the Muppet Babies whenever Disney decides to release them. I doubt they'll bother with the hassle of securing the music and clip rights to all 107 or so episodes. I could be wrong. Even as a non-fan of the Babies, I see that there's gold in full sets!
No doubt about it. As I stated earlier, a lot of the clips were used back when Columbia was in direct partnership with Henson. That would take some intense haggling. Plus, of course... the Tonight show with Johnny Carson, Family Ties, Roxanne (did Columbia put that out?)... I don't recall any music rights however... I'm sure they used only their own, original music... Sound-a-likes in some cases.

The problem is that "Best ofs" would be the way to go (to avoid them)... and they'd use a LOT of last season episodes (which used hardly any footage that wasn't public domain). But at this point in the DVD game, "Family Friendly" best ofs- in quotes, because I don't see how taking 3-5 episodes and charging 15 bucks for them is more friendly than a 13 episode set that can retail for 30- aren't going to go down well. If there's one sure fire way to tick off fans of something, it's to release best ofs with either no plans of releasing the full series, or (worse) switching to best ofs after releasing full season sets. Smurfs, Bullwinkle, pre-Time Life Real Ghostbusters... lot of diappointed fans there.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
I have the first 3 seasons of TMB on DVD. Drop me a line if anyone wants a copy:smile:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
You know the first thing I thought of when I heard Disney bought Marvel this morning?

"Well, now they wouldn't have to clear all the Marvel stuff before they put those MB episodes out on DVD..."

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
Ya know, I thought of very much the same thing! They wouldn't have to do any more Marvel clearing, including the Marvel logo at the end of each episode (because Marvel actually handled the series for Jim) since Disney now has Marvel in their library! In my (not-so) expert opinion, this was probably the biggest licensing hurdle to get MB on DVD. But now that Disney has Marvel in their stable, who knows what could happen?

BJ

muppet baby

Reaction score
You know the first thing I thought of when I heard Disney bought Marvel this morning?

"Well, now they wouldn't have to clear all the Marvel stuff before they put those MB episodes out on DVD..."
Oh my that is wonderful A DREAM COME TRUE , YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA , i can not wait to hear some word form disney i hope they say something soon to all of us muppet fans i hope that they have at least season 1 by next year or the end of this year and the rest of the seasons , very soon .

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ya know, I thought of very much the same thing! They wouldn't have to do any more Marvel clearing, including the Marvel logo at the end of each episode (because Marvel actually handled the series for Jim) since Disney now has Marvel in their library! In my (not-so) expert opinion, this was probably the biggest licensing hurdle to get MB on DVD. But now that Disney has Marvel in their stable, who knows what could happen?
It's definitely a big hurdle... especially the bad blood that Disney and Marvel have had in recent years (certain episodes from the Tick series that parodied Marvel comics were suspiciously missing for example... it was THAT BAD). But I still think Disney has to make nicey nice with Sony if they ever want to have the show uncut, and unedited. Again, the Columbia/Henson partnership... I think that's the second biggest hurdle.