Custom figures and dioramas

Fluffets

Reaction score
It's Simon Smith and his DANCING BEAR! :smile: Great diorama. And interesting story you told aswell.

Telly

Reaction score
I absouletly LOVE your customs! Was it the Steppin Out Scooter you used in the "Simon Smith" diorama?

Also, what size is that Muppet Show logo? That's AMAZING!

Nick22

Reaction score
all of those are AWESOME! you did a great job on those. thanks for sharing them with us! i rully enjoyed them.

i loved the muppet movie one. it came out awesome.

Dearth

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the compliments. Keep checking back, I've got some even more ambitious things planned!

Now, to some questions:

Was it the Steppin Out Scooter you used in the "Simon Smith" diorama?
No, I actually used Lew Zealand from the neck down. It's almost the exact same 'ringmaster' costume, and luckily their 'skin' tone kinda matches on the hands.

I think I saw someone use this recipe a long time ago on the old Palisades forums, but as I didn't yet own the Muppet Show episodes on DVD, it had no real appeal to me at the time.

A repainted Movie Usher Scooter torso probably would have worked better, but I liked the long tails on Lew's red jacket and the legs with the white jodhpurs and high black boots too.

Lew's shoulders are way too wide for Scooter, but as I already had a couple of extra Lew Zealand's lying around, I figured what the hey!

Lew's neck hole had to be dremeled out (a verb used a lot by action figure customizers, referring to an electric or battery-operated rotary tool) to fit the bottom of Scooter's neck.

And Lew didn't have a white bow tie like Scooter needed, so I hand-sculpted that with a product called Super Sculpey, then painted it. Same stuff I used for the moustache, hair, etc.

Also, what size is that Muppet Show logo?
It is about twenty inches wide and sixteen inches high. In other words, the size of four pieces of printer paper. It actually should have been even larger than that, and there should be a lot more artwork, but as I am planning to build a proscenium arch and red curtain to go in front of it, I had to downscale it a bit or risk making the rest of the scene way too big.

As it was, printing it in four quarter-sections made the O just large enough to snugly fit the Kermit figure, so it seemed like a good compromise.

The hinged 'door' of the center of the O was printed separately, slightly larger than the cutout of the O in the sign. A brass dollhouse hinge lets it swing open to the right, and I glued on two magnets dug from the heads and hats of some leftover parts from various customs. This lets the door stay shut when not in use.

The frame, by the way, was captured from the beginning of the Elton John episode, which seemed more complete at the top of the painted flat's artwork.

DN

Fluffets

Reaction score
I LOVED all the other customs, especially the jurassic park parody, maybe a follow-up, hogzilla maybe? Lol all awesome though, very enjoyable to view, pleasure to the eyes.:big_grin:

Dearth

Reaction score
This is another illustration of how wonderfully designed the Palisades toys were...

After long years of wondering, I finally added tube lights and Christmas lights to my spare Swinetrek playset.

http://threads.rebelscum.com/imagep...p?file=116575&imagewidth=1012&imageheight=592

Although I had to alter the connector end of the tube lights to thread it through the existing holes of the Swinetrek, the toy itself has not been changed in any way.

I would like to extend the walls and floors a bit to give the playset a less cramped feel. Searching for some kind of plastic sheeting with a diamond pattern like the toy's floor has.

DN