Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Drtooth

Reaction score
People who think the line is merely delayed because of Roger's brief leave of absence may be forgetting that ALL the Pixar, Muppet and other Disney lines seem abruptly canned for whatever reason.

To me the most likely reason is because Disney is taking the ip imprint to Marvel, and creating a new kids subdivision with it(Like a Marvel Kids type thing) Why else would they cancel the license to Boom? I doubt it was sales performance. Most the Muppet issues seemed sold out when I'd tried to find em. The nice thing is all Boom! Kids were available at all Toys R Us and Borders Books.

I really hope not. Marvel hasn't done (with or without Disney's help) a kid's line based on outside media in well over a decade with the one issue Mighty Heroes comic. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I see a Muppet Marvel comic lasting 10 issues, using inhouse writers and artists which may or may not care about the license and being chock full of lame ads with like 15 pages if anything of comic book story.

I know Disney has been playing it carefully and all, but this is no way to keep the franchise fresh for the film. There's something fishy about the constant delay of season 4 (if it is indeed out of their hands because of music rights renegotiation), the lack of any real virals (they could at least transplant some XD stuff to you tube), and there's nothing else much out there... to price themselves out of the business with the comics license is bull completely and utterly, and I don't wanna see it go to Marvel or some very independent rinky-dink operation that could go bankrupt halfway through. Boom was the right fit, and I hope this is just some annoying stunt and the license gets picked back up.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Man, if I wasn't a fan of Disney's Darkwing Duck or Rescue Rangers I would have quit the Boom Studios line the moment I've heard the news.:mad:

I mean if they had a real good explaination over why thye canceled them, and it was reasonable, then overtime i would have understand it.

Still this upsets me so. :sympathy:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Sigh - so we're waiting forever (4-ever?) for

4 Seasons

and

Season 4.

I hope Disney springs these on us soon so Muppet momentum doesn't fall.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Man, if I wasn't a fan of Disney's Darkwing Duck or Rescue Rangers I would have quit the Boom Studios line the moment I've heard the news.:mad:

I mean if they had a real good explaination over why thye canceled them, and it was reasonable, then overtime i would have understand it.

Still this upsets me so. :sympathy:
Again, it seems by the tiny bit of news we got that it was out of their control and Disney's fault.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Roger Langridge said that he wouldn't expect Boom! to pay him for drawings that wouldn't be used. But if the line is indeed cancled I'm sure Boom! would have paid him before news of cancelation. I'm sure that people still have to get paid for what they work on even if it gets cancled before release. I'm sure Langridge got paid for all those Disney Adventures comics that got cancled, not knowing they'd eventually be published in The Muppet Show Comic Book preview and trade paperbacks. There's quite a few TV shows that get cancled before every produced episode is broadcast (even in the days before it was common to expect entire seasons to be released on DVD regardless of success). So it's possible Langridge was paid to draw them and then the line suddenly got cancled and Boom! had to pay him regardless.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just started thinking... Will the trade paperbacks go out-of-print because of this (the only trade paperbacks I've seen in stores are "Meet the Muppets" and "Muppet Robin Hood"; while I've found most individual issues of "The Muppet Show Comic Book" I haven't found any issues of the classics line). I also wonder if trade paperbacks will be released for any comic book storyarcs that hadn't been collected into trade paperbacks yet.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Fans have been desiring a third sub series of Muppet comics, and I just now remember something that I saw one fan wish for on the forums back when MC was a delphi forum. I remember somebody desiring a series of comic books that focused on backstories and things mentioned but not seen much in past productions.

That would be cool. There would have been many possibilities, like comic book stories based on each supporting characters backstory in The Muppet Movie. Maybe a comic book focusing on Sweetums chasing the car to hollywood (I once wrote a fan fic about it... Some fans saw it as weird). Or one on Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem abandoning their dream to turn a church into a coffee house and setting out to rescue the Muppets from being stranded in the dessert.

Or stories about the Muppets jobs they had in The Muppets Take Manhattan. Maybe show what kind of job Fozzie had before hibernating and seeing why it didn't go too terriffic (well, besides the fact that it was Fozzie who did the job).

Those kinds of comics would have been cool.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just started thinking... Will the trade paperbacks go out-of-print because of this (the only trade paperbacks I've seen in stores are "Meet the Muppets" and "Muppet Robin Hood"; while I've found most individual issues of "The Muppet Show Comic Book" I haven't found any issues of the classics line). I also wonder if trade paperbacks will be released for any comic book storyarcs that hadn't been collected into trade paperbacks yet.
Muppet Mash IS coming. That much I know. There's an ad for it in the latest Rescue Rangers issue. Sherlock will probably follow.

j3h

Reaction score
Now that it's official that the pixar titles are going to Marvel, it can be assumed the same fate is going to happen to the Muppets.

Note the "no comment" from both Marvel and Boom! When questioned...
http://on.cbr.cc/ijH0zU

I wonder if this affects those teased muppet motion comics that uses Roger's work?

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Now that it's official that the pixar titles are going to Marvel, it can be assumed the same fate is going to happen to the Muppets.

Note the "no comment" from both Marvel and Boom! When questioned...
http://on.cbr.cc/ijH0zU

I wonder if this affects those teased muppet motion comics that uses Roger's work?
I'm willing to bet and hope that Boom gets the Muppets at least for a little longer or maybe Marvel gains the Muppets due to the company's previous history with the characters. :smile:

Either way who ever gets the gang, lets hope that Roger Landridge is involved with the team again.