Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Comic Book

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will be furious if they leave 4 Seasons unreleased - at least pay tribute to Langridge by letting fans see his last Muppet stuff; give it its proper farewell! I could care less if it's delayed or we have to wait a while for it, but please allow it a proper sendoff.

Either way, Boom's making a huge mistake to let the Muppet comics go - we KNOW there's other talented folk who can do them.
Yes, but we don't know EXACTLY what the cause is, why it's happening or what drove this. I'm sure they'd at LEAST give us the last 4 issues, they're done and paid for after all, and it would be a waste to not even shove them in a graphic novel sized digest. I'm wondering if Roger's departure guided the decision or not.

I can't say I'm betrayed, I can't say I'm angry... I CAN say I'm disappointed, but I can at least forgive it if we get an explanation. Amy did post a cryptic message of uncertainty when I mentioned this on the Mindset a month ago, so I'm wondering if the decision was a long time coming.

All and all, this could either be Boom's fault OR something well out of their control. Speculation WILL get us angry at the wrong people and not solve the problem. Were sales down? Is there some politicking by Diamond distributors that pushed them? Is Disney at all to blame? Is Boom going through a rough patch and needing to streamline? Is it just easier to end things than to track down someone to fill in Roger's shoes? Was their a change in management? Is there some politicking with Disney moving these to Marvel (Lord I hope not)?

We don't know. And unless someone says the exact reason why, we may never know.

Let's not forget... they gave us 20 issues of the main line, and 20 more issues of a backup series. That's 40 comics. Had Marvel or someone else did it, I'd be surprised if it GOT to double digits. So let's not be mad at the company that published it. Disappointed, but not mad.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Reading that article I can't quite tell if it specifically said that the line was ending or if it was speculation. I wonder if one of us should ask Roger Langridge if he knows whether it'll continue without him (or at least if he knows whether "The Four Seasons" will be released).

Drtooth

Reaction score
The four seasons will almost indefinitely be released. They just said it would be delayed because, well, Roger was going through something personal ( and it should stay personal unless he wishes to share it). If Roger's decision to stop doing the comic lead to Boom's to end it (rather than scramble to find a replacement), that's perfectly respectable. Disappointing but respectable. Though I think they could have at least given us one more Classics arc before they decided to end that one too. Sherlock Holmes was alright, but it left too much to be desired, and a decidedly weak ending, especially as they turned down a perfectly good Sleepy Hollow storyline (it's somewhere on tough pigs, too lazy to look for it, though).

Beauregard

Reaction score
What does this mean guys? I read it here. "The remaining licensed Muppets and Pixar titles from BOOM! Studios have been listed as “canceled by Previews.” In response to inquiries, the publisher pointed to the teaser for “BOOM! Kids 2.0,u201D the relaunch of its kids imprint announced in September. Rumors that BOOM! had lost the Muppets/Pixar licenses began swirling in late November, following Roger Langridge’s announcement that he would no longer be drawing The Muppet Show."

Drtooth

Reaction score
It almost sounds like it's Disney's fault on that one. I just want them to renegotiate. We didn't even get 2 years worth of comics, and that was the initial plan. 2 full years- 24 issues. We got 4 issues off of that.

So the relaunch is basically just 2 new titles and the stuff they were publishing anyway? I love Darkwing and Rescue Rangers, but that sounds to me more like they lost everything.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You know, since the first issue of "The Four Seasons" was suppsoedly about Christmas, and it's been delayed (at least) because of personal issues, it wouldn't surprise me if the winter issue were pushed to the end of the storyarc. It would make a bit of sense, to push the release to July or August, ending when the new movie comes out, and then releasing the trade paperback in time for Christmas.

Drtooth

Reaction score
IF it's released (which it should be, but hearing the Pixar ones got canned mid-arc, I'm starting to question this), it will be postponed until they're finished. Winter is the first story in the arc, so naturally they'd release that (again, IF) first.

I just hope they can renegotiate and this doesn't go to Marvel.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
aw no this is deeply saddening i really wanted to see the four seasons iam suprised they didnt get someone else to do it:cry:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, everything is speculation and nothing more at this point... but it all points back to the license. Even if they could replace Roger with someone else, the license would no doubt need to be renegotiated, and if Disney asks for more money than Boom has (purely speculative, but it could do a LOT with Disney's ownership of Marvel and politicking with the licenses), Boom really can't do anything about it.

That said, if anyone who works there and KNOWS for sure what's going on can come here and talk to us, I'm sure we could at least respect the closure... but they've been silent for some time, and I guess this is the reason why.

But remember this... we could have had a bunch of unpublished Disney Adventures Magazine strips and THAT would have been it. 20 issues is almost 2 years. 40 issues combined with the classics.

beaker

Reaction score
Earlier today Roger posted this on one of the "boom cancels" blog news:

Just to throw what little light I can on this, I would like to point out that Boom! have been paying me for Muppets material I’ve drawn that has not yet been published, which I don’t imagine they’d do if they had no intention of releasing it. My understanding is that they were holding it back for a release that would tie in with the movie.
Sounds like even Roger may not be up to speed.

People who think the line is merely delayed because of Roger's brief leave of absence may be forgetting that ALL the Pixar, Muppet and other Disney lines seem abruptly canned for whatever reason.

To me the most likely reason is because Disney is taking the ip imprint to Marvel, and creating a new kids subdivision with it(Like a Marvel Kids type thing) Why else would they cancel the license to Boom? I doubt it was sales performance. Most the Muppet issues seemed sold out when I'd tried to find em. The nice thing is all Boom! Kids were available at all Toys R Us and Borders Books.

We all love Langridge's work, but the franchise doesn't need him to continue. I say let the team behind Snow White carry on with a flagship Muppet title. I love their art/style and writing.
Remember that Disney DOES release its own franchise comics through other imprints, most notably Tron Legacy through Titan comics.

And finally, if it comes down to it I say we the fans create our own online Muppet comics and content, much like the enormous and dedicated UK Sonic the Hedgehog fanbase did when their Sonic comic magazine was cancelled.