Will There Be News From Toy Fair 2009?

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
It's sad really the whole toy market. It really just boils down to movies and toons. Muppets are now seen really as collectable items, thus that moves them into the deadly and expensive collectable market. Which as we have seen is really hard for Muppets. Look at the MR Muppet replica's as a good example. I bought all 3 of mine new for $450. I can't believe the Fraggle Rock DVD collection is now on sale for only $60 dollars, down from $120!

And as for the new toys that are successful like Transformers. They are being totally changed and developed into there movie counterparts and away from their original G1 (generation 1) roots. Sorry, but I kinda like the more human appeal and look that the 80's toys and cartoon provided than the Michael Bay "Armageddon" look and feel, but I'm 37 and not 10 :sympathy: I saw from the ToyFare report online that the new Devastator toy alone will be $100! And I bet every kid in town will be pestering there mom and dad for it! Just goes to show what a movie can do for a brand!

beaker

Reaction score
My brother is into the whole Pokemon and Naruto and Dragon Ball Z kind of stuff. He watches the shows and buys the toys and when you go into toy stores these days, that's all you see. My sister is into dolls and dress up and stuff and that's because that is all you Target and looked everywhere for a Muppet DVD. Just a DVD and I couldn't even kind one. Not even one. Stores have pretty much just stopped carrying Muppet products. It ticks me off. The only reason that any kid in my school knows about the Muppets is because of me. I talk about them nonstop so all my friends know about them. I mean most of them had already known all the basics you know Kermit, Miss Piggy, Gonzo. Most of them had never heard of Fraggle Rock and they didn't know that Sesaome Street characters were considered Muppets. They were completely cluless. Now my friends know just about everything there is to know. My brother and sister know about them of course. My sister doesn't care too much. They just don't seem to interest her. She was never rully a huge Sesame Street fan and I watch Letter to Santa with her and she didn't seem to like it too much at all. My brother has only watched the Muppet Wizard of Oz and It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. He seemed pretty into it but he's not a huge fan. My sister and seven and my brother is 10. So that kind of shows you that Disney isn't exactly marketing the Muppets to younger kids. Most of the kids in my school who are older than me could care less about the Muppets. I mean yes they will sit there and listen to what i have to say about them and give me a little feedback but they rully don't care. They only listen to me because they know how much the Muppets mean to me. I think most of the reason that there arent very many Muppet products is probably because of the economy. I mean why would they even bother producing anything if nobody will buy them. People don't have the money to spend on toys and action figures.
That stinks!

As every Target, Walmart and Best Buy in my area carries every single Muppet, Fraggle Rock, and Bear dvd(as well as all the Sesame dvds) Only ones I don't see out for sale anymore is Muppets with Ed Sullivan(unauthorized) and Muppet Family Christmas. But both the individual Fraggle dvds for $6(that come with Fraggle animated episodes), the box sets and the big giant full set are out at most the stores I see

It is very tragic that there's been LITTLE effort by companies to reestablish the Muppets(as well as Fraggle Rock) for children/tween viewing on cable or elsewhere.

Im very happy that growing up in the early to late 80's, and even through the 90's(I had a long childhood! heh) the Muppets were always on even regular non cable tv. While I always hated how Fraggle Rock was on HBO, the original Muppet Show was in syndication for years on regular tv where I lived.

In 1981 I was able to catch the final episodes of the original series, and around that time began actively collecting anything Muppet/Sesame related(Corgi cars, fisher price, etc) A few years later when I was older, I was able to appreciate the show even more when it was on reruns.

I also became a huge fan of Muppet Babies, as well as Sesame Street. Saw all the Sesame movies(Dont Eat The Pictures, Big Bird In China, etc) Was able to catch Fraggle Rock now and then at friend's houses in grade school.

And I am *so* thankful I got to see Muppet Family Christmas *and* Jim Henson Hour on tv when they originally aired. As well as the ABC run of Muppets Tonight.
(People find it odd when I say Ive been a hardcore Muppet fan/collector since 1981 as I still look about 20)

But where's the Muppets on tv? We have regular guest appearances on day time talk shows and night talk shows, sure.
But Bear in the Big Blue House is no longer on in any form, neither is the Muppet show. Or Fraggle Rock.

So much time has passed, that its no wonder that Disney and JHC have pretty much lost the child/tween demographic with
their non Sesame properties.

beaker

Reaction score
It's sad really the whole toy market. It really just boils down to movies and toons. Muppets are now seen really as collectable items, thus that moves them into the deadly and expensive collectable market. Which as we have seen is really hard for Muppets. Look at the MR Muppet replica's as a good example. I bought all 3 of mine new for $450. I can't believe the Fraggle Rock DVD collection is now on sale for only $60 dollars, down from $120!

And as for the new toys that are successful like Transformers. They are being totally changed and developed into there movie counterparts and away from their original G1 (generation 1) roots. Sorry, but I kinda like the more human appeal and look that the 80's toys and cartoon provided than the Michael Bay "Armageddon" look and feel, but I'm 37 and not 10 :sympathy: I saw from the ToyFare report online that the new Devastator toy alone will be $100! And I bet every kid in town will be pestering there mom and dad for it! Just goes to show what a movie can do for a brand!
I just turned 31, going on 10 and I too am not pleased with the direction Transformers has turned. I HAAAAATE the look/feel of "transformers animated", the "transformers" movies look nothing resembling transformers(tho I kinda dig Bumblebee)

Heck I remember when Transformers toys had actual metal!
Now just to get a replica of Optimus Prime, it's like $75 at Target or Walmart. crazyness.

And yeah, sadly the only Muppet/Fraggle stuff we'll be seeing is the NECA era "collectors" stuff sold in the ill fated FYE/Sam Goody/Suncoast mall stores.

And ebay, my goodness, prices for old figures has skyrocketed. Try finding video game related action figures from the past, even an out of the package Crash Bandicoot figure will set you back $80.

beaker

Reaction score
There is definite markup. Brick and mortar stores centrally located in the heart of a city need to pay their rent. I call this markup "the urban tax" because if a customer is willing to drive to an outlet store in the boonies where they don't know a Jawa from a Jar Jar or where they'd be located in a pile of kiddie fodder then they would pay much less. Online prices have even been increasing and much of that is due to the toy companies not faring well in this climate.

At AFF we offer our expertise, knowledge and enthusiasm in order to get the customer exactly what they want. There's a premium for that sort of attention that many people are willing to pay. Sure, there are deals in this store as well with other urban stores. There's nothing like the feeling of walking to the corner toy shop and comparing paint aps on a brand new figure, chatting up the clerk and sharing the experience.

Curbing the exploitation of third world labor so they don't put poison in toys comes at a cost. Trust me. You will see it in more than toys. Eventually the American culture will turn to Buy-N-Large wholesale chains like Walmart. We all know what that will look like. My advice - buy a treadmill while you're there. :eek:

Next time you buy a cheaply priced chotchky ask yourself why it's so cheap. Whose wages are getting the cut? We've lived too long in a Kathy Lee Gifford world of factory ignorance. :confused:
Oh I certainly was not referring to specialty stores. I LOVE those kind of stores. There's one near me that specializes in vintage action figures called Toy Fusion(tho I was able to get an MOC variant Uncle Deadly and MOC Sweetums combined for $20)

But I was referring to the overall prices of figures. There's no longer price dips for major retailers. The replica 1988 TMNT figure line goes for $9 each at Target.

I wish there was more specialty stores, and will totally have to check out your shop next time im in SF soon.

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
I just turned 31, going on 10 and I too am not pleased with the direction Transformers has turned. I HAAAAATE the look/feel of "transformers animated", the "transformers" movies look nothing resembling transformers(tho I kinda dig Bumblebee)

Heck I remember when Transformers toys had actual metal!
Now just to get a replica of Optimus Prime, it's like $75 at Target or Walmart. crazyness.

And yeah, sadly the only Muppet/Fraggle stuff we'll be seeing is the NECA era "collectors" stuff sold in the ill fated FYE/Sam Goody/Suncoast mall stores.

And ebay, my goodness, prices for old figures has skyrocketed. Try finding video game related action figures from the past, even an out of the package Crash Bandicoot figure will set you back $80.
I am surprised Disney has taken the Muppets down the Transformers route! They have with Mickey to a great success in the collectors market as usual! Here is Mickey Optimus Prime!
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-images-of-transformers-mickey-mouse-optimus-prime/15004/

Just think a Gonzo Megatron! A Robin Bumblebee! Dr. Teeth as Soundwave and the band members all he's "cassettes"! And you know what? They would sell beyond belief especially in Japan. Amazing...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just think a Gonzo Megatron! A Robin Bumblebee! Dr. Teeth as Soundwave and the band members all he's "cassettes"! And you know what? They would sell beyond belief especially in Japan. Amazing...
Uh... the Muppets outside of Sesame Street characters (and to some extent the Fraggles) are virtually unknown in Japan. I don't think that would work at all.

Oh I certainly was not referring to specialty stores. I LOVE those kind of stores. There's one near me that specializes in vintage action figures called Toy Fusion(tho I was able to get an MOC variant Uncle Deadly and MOC Sweetums combined for $20)

But I was referring to the overall prices of figures. There's no longer price dips for major retailers. The replica 1988 TMNT figure line goes for $9 each at Target.
Tell me about it. I go to specialty chains in MA all the time. And the funny thing is, they sell DVD's cheaper than even Best Buy half the time... not as cheap as Target, though... but sometimes I found insane clearance prices. I got the first (and only) Heathcliff DVD box set for 15 bucks... and I almost picked up the cartoon version of Carman SanDiego for 4 bucks. And these places have REAL Japanese blind box figures... FROM Japan with Japanese characters.

There is and was NO call for selling re molded TMNT for 10 bucks each. They aren't moving at all in my area. And they didn't even have to resculpt anything. 7 bucks, I'd understand... but 10? I see some of the unsold TMNT product at TJ Maxx and Marshalls for 5 bucks each. And these are the oversized, overpriced movie figures too.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Uh... the Muppets outside of Sesame Street characters (and to some extent the Fraggles) are virtually unknown in Japan. I don't think that would work at all.
That really needs to be remedied. Maybe Disney should re edit the old Muppet films out of sequence so they don't make sense, add some motion graphics, Japanese techno pop music and the Muppets would be an instant hit in Japan! I am joking, of course, but I actually think it would work. How much does Disney want to sell the toys?

Drtooth

Reaction score
That really needs to be remedied. Maybe Disney should re edit the old Muppet films out of sequence so they don't make sense, add some motion graphics, Japanese techno pop music and the Muppets would be an instant hit in Japan! I am joking, of course, but I actually think it would work. How much does Disney want to sell the toys?

Dude, you do know they LOVE Sesame Street, right? And the original American version a LOT more than the Japanese co-production. And there was a breif period when they got Fraggle Rock. I don't think that they've been properly introduced to the Muppet Show... I've heard they got some Muppet movies, but I wouldn't be too sure how many and if they got theatrical releases.

That said, a Big Bird Transformer.... that would be huge.

Mister Hoggoth

Reaction score
If you make ANYTHING into a Transformer, they will buy it in Japan! I was in Asia on business several years ago and went to several speciality Toy stores in Thailand specializing in Robot/Transformer/Godzilla toys. The variety was amazing, but what surprised me the most was the cost! These toys ranged from $5 to several $1000. I saw a special addition wind-up MechaGodszilla for $2000. I asked the store owner who buys that kind of toy and he told me he has already sold 4 of them. They really do love there robot/sci-fi toy culture.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Dude, you do know they LOVE Sesame Street, right? And the original American version a LOT more than the Japanese co-production. And there was a breif period when they got Fraggle Rock. I don't think that they've been properly introduced to the Muppet Show... I've heard they got some Muppet movies, but I wouldn't be too sure how many and if they got theatrical releases.

I still think my idea would work. :coy: Japan is one of the few major places where they find no need for a personalized educational Sesame Street program. Sesame gets by with its universal humor and simplicity of style. I'm not sure how the Muppet Show brand would go over there? I can see a cute anime cartoon of the Muppets doing remarkably well in Japan. How does Fraggle Rock fare over there? :confused: