Your Thoughts: Muppets Letters to Santa

What did you think of the "Letters to Santa" special?

• I loved "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 74 40.0%
  • "Letters to Santa" was good.

Votes: 71 38.4%
  • "Letters to Santa" was just so-so.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I disliked "Letters to Santa".

Votes: 13 7.0%

• Total voters

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
However - to say the movie has *no* good moments for a fan is ridiculous.
I think nearly every movie has something redeamable yeah, but sometimes that's just not enough if the overal product upset you.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Actually, you created the initial age linkage (at least for your part) in saying:

I do think there is a generational element to how the projects are perceived, but it is one of several factors. I can understand how someone from my generation would expect the Muppets to have a sharper wit than has been seen in recent years. It just appears that you won't give VMX its due in *any* sense. That just goes beyond reason IMHO. I guess it's back to the black or white viewpoint. I see things in many Muppety colors.
I didn't mean it as an age link though, I just meant I didn't see it so I didn't have much emotional history to weigh it against, that could happen with anyone of any age if they didn't have the same sort of cable tv when TMS was on, even the older generations:sympathy:. So the stage element didn't hold much weight for me and the overall tone dragged down all the other moments for me... I'm not saying everyone has to agree with me, and I'm not attacking what you think of it, I'm only sharing what I feel, it doesn't lessen anyone elses pov, good or bad... Sometimes movies just don't agree with us as people, but just because we say we dislike it doesn't mean we are putting a curse on all future movies :smile:.

but to paint my distaste with such a wide brush that it eclipses some real Muppety value would be blind stubbornness on my part.
I am only being honest about how I feel and also saying why I think I might feel that way. To me honesty is one of the core values of the muppets, and to put on a fake smile and just say that I enjoyed something I didn't would be lying :frown:
. But just because I disliked one movie doesn't make my love for the movies I do like any less real : ).

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I think nearly every movie has something redeamable yeah, but sometimes that's just not enough if the overal product upset you.
I think Jamie understands that you're saying that, heralde... you're just not acknowledging the good in any sense. What I see you saying is that the movies were terrible and should never be viewed for any reason. :smirk:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think Jamie understands that you're saying that, heralde... you're just not acknowledging the good in any sense. What I see you saying is that the movies were terrible and should never be viewed for any reason. :smirk:
I'm just sharing my own feelings. And I've said many times that I thought Kermit's realization at the end was nice. Just not enough for me to really want to see the movie again. I'm not telling anyone they can't have their own opinion. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I suppose that film has yet to hit me and I have seen many, many movies. I like to find where any value is even when it can be hard to see. I suppose that's learned from watching Kermit and even the Fraggles. I refuse to believe that even in the worst Muppet project that there isn't *something* that can be salvaged. That just seems unMuppety to me.

Getting back to LTS. Do you think the script (by way of story) could have been improved if given more time?

On one hand I didn't like the pitch of Kermit and the gang bringing kids’ letters to Santa. However, even though the title hints at that it really doesn't happen. The premise was thin and didn't quite come to fruition. I mean, it had a beginning middle and an end and Santa got the girl's letter but it was more a letteR than letterS. It's kind of nit-picky and I overlook that for the other wonderful Muppety goodness. Also I haven't seen Kermit-Gonzo-Fozzie camaraderie like that since GMC! I really want to see the extended cut on DVD!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I suppose that film has yet to hit me and I have seen many, many movies. I like to find where any value is even when it can be hard to see. I suppose that's learned from watching Kermit and even the Fraggles.
Just because you don't like a movie doesn't mean you're not open to things. I always try to find the value in people. :smile:

And I did find some value in VMX. That just doesn't lessen the bad for me. Sometimes in cases such as these, you just feel the bad needs to be protested. Justice isn't just about finding the good, but also stopping the bad. (Yes I know it's just a movie hehe)

Getting back to LTS. Do you think the script (by way of story) could have been improved if given more time?
Not necessarily time, more like direction. The direction was sent in a way that not every fan responded to.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I loved LTS but if I could add anything I think it would be to have them go more places between the time they find the letter and the time they fly to Santa. Like maybe have Fozzie say he is going to try to drive them there and go to his mothers' house to borrow a car, only to have his ma try to drag them all in to have dinner...and maybe once they say they need to get to Santa she says something about what happened the last time he borrowed a family car and slams the door, leaving them buried in snow..and then Pepe remarking how they wouldn't be able to drive over the ocean anyway *hee*
I know, I know, silly :smile:.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I loved LTS but if I could add anything I think it would be to have them go more places between the time they find the letter and the time they fly to Santa. Like maybe have Fozzie say he is going to try to drive them there and go to his mothers' house to borrow a car, only to have his ma try to drag them all in to have dinner...and maybe once they say they need to get to Santa she says something about what happened the last time he borrowed a family car and slams the door, leaving them buried in snow..and then Pepe remarking how they wouldn't be able to drive over the ocean anyway *hee*
I know, I know, silly :smile:.
I agree, there should have been something more between the North Pole and arriving home. I think that's what was missing. I would have loved to see the joke of having the Mayhem playing a gig out in the middle of the snow somewhere. I miss those guys.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, there should have been something more between the North Pole and arriving home. I think that's what was missing. I would have loved to see the joke of having the Mayhem playing a gig out in the middle of the snow somewhere. I miss those guys.
Yeah I mean. some reason why everyone decides to come back, that would have made it more touching if the special had been longer. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
So am I the only one who *didn't* think that Letters to Santa was too short? I feel that if it had gone on much longer we'd have at some point realised that the Muppets were delivering letters to Santa. As it was, it went by really fast and we had several options followed like the pigeons and the Mob...and it was funny, but quick. And so we never had a chance to be cynical. And I loved that about this movie. I think if it had been longer, they'd have had to rethink a lot of things, and possible not shown Santa at the end I think.