25th Anniversary Follow That Bird Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well what I was saying was kids should be taught to be open to new things, not always given just the movie they want. That's not a good precedent to set. That's what many critics say about Sesame Street, that's it's too much about instant gratification. Life and learning won't always be that easy. I think it would be good for kids to be introduce to a movie that's outside of their comfort level, like Follow That Bird.
SST is a whole lot...gentler? Less conflict filled? Than it was back in my day for sure..I'm not sure if I would call that having more 'instant gratification' as I would being more PC so they don't risk getting yelled at by one crazy parent :sympathy: It is a shame...But learning did use to be harder on SST and have more of a plot, IMHO:zany:

The other day I saw a mother and child trying to pick a tape in the store. The kid was insisting on Teletubbies. The mother was slightly annoyed because the kid had seen that video a million times. I admired that mother's resolve. Kids have to be introduced to new things; they can't always be given exactly what they want.
When I have a baby I am sidestepping that whole thing and not having them even see Teletubbies to began with :coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The other day I saw a mother and child trying to pick a tape in the store. The kid was insisting on Teletubbies. The mother was slightly annoyed because the kid had seen that video a million times. I admired that mother's resolve. Kids have to be introduced to new things; they can't always be given exactly what they want.
What kid even still likes Teletubbies anymore? My local PBS hasn't even had it on its schedule for almost a year now. :flirt:

But I get what you're saying. Though, I think FTB is a great movie for older SS watching kids. I mean, how many of them will get the "North by Northwest" reference? I didn't even get that until I saw it on TV a few years ago.

Here's something, though... according to the specifications, it has audio in Spanish, French and... Japanese! ? ! ? ! I am definately getting this now.. (man, do I wish the Tiny Toons DVD had a Japanese audio option).

Redsonga

Reaction score
The what reference? I don't even know what that is :frown:...
Anyway, I don't think 'getting' references is a requirement for truly enjoying FTB at all. I've loved it since back when all I cared about was Telly and the honker in their car...Like any good movie it has layers...And even the topmost one is better than Teletubbies:wink: (which my PBS still shows, along with Barney)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
SST is a whole lot...gentler? Less conflict filled? Than it was back in my day for sure..I'm not sure if I would call that having more 'instant gratification' as I would being more PC so they don't risk getting yelled at by one crazy parent It is a shame...But learning did use to be harder on SST and have more of a plot, IMHO:zany:
Well this was a very skilled media expert from the '70s, he was really good, not a naysayer or anything. He just meant that Sesame Street (in the old days and today) always makes learning fun and the pace is pretty quick. Whereas in school, learning can take many years and it's not always fun. He was just concerned that it wasn't representing the way life will ultimately be.

When I have a baby I am sidestepping that whole thing and not having them even see Teletubbies to began with
Amen!

Though, I think FTB is a great movie for older SS watching kids. I mean, how many of them will get the "North by Northwest" reference? I didn't even get that until I saw it on TV a few years ago.
See I've just never been a believer of that. Kids always watch movies that are "too old" for them. And even though they have no idea what's going on, somehow they enjoy them anyway. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well this was a very skilled media expert from the '70s, he was really good, not a naysayer or anything. He just meant that Sesame Street (in the old days and today) always makes learning fun and the pace is pretty quick. Whereas in school, learning can take many years and it's not always fun. He was just concerned that it wasn't representing the way life will ultimately be.
The thing is learning does start out as fun in the beginning I think, and for me at least it is still fun and I love it. It is hard of course, but being hard does not always take all the fun out of things :smile:. I think I have SST to thank for teaching me that..or just Forgetful Jones, one of the two :3

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The thing is learning does start out as fun in the beginning I think, and for me at least it is still fun and I love it. It is hard of course, but being hard does not always take all the fun out of things :smile:. I think I have SST to thank for teaching me that..or just Forgetful Jones, one of the two :3
Oh it's great that you still find learning fun, it's a rare thing. :smile: I think in general kids don't associate conventional school with fun and resent hard work that takes time (I'm not ripping on kids, just saying, hehe). But I do think Sesame Street occasionally tried to make the point that an important task may take time, but it's worth it. :smile:

petrieboy

Reaction score
Thank goodness that the dumbing down of America is smartening up a little. Warner Bros. is releasing it WIDESCREEN? The way it was filmed? Why? Because every darned TV today is shaped that way anyway. Now just remember when you watch your old TV reruns on your widescreen TVs, you need to change the TV format so that it isn't stretched out.

This was a charming little film, and it's so good to see that it's being returned to its former glory. Extras are okay sometimes, but what's important is to get the actual film in top form.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oh it's great that you still find learning fun, it's a rare thing. :smile: I think in general kids don't associate conventional school with fun and resent hard work that takes time (I'm not ripping on kids, just saying, hehe). But I do think Sesame Street occasionally tried to make the point that an important task may take time, but it's worth it. :smile:
"Trying and trying again"

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Anyone else bugged by this

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On the right side it shows the cover for the 25th anniversary edition of Follow That Bird, along with Big Bird, the cover also features Oscar, The Count, Grover, Cookie Monster, and Elmo

Elmo's not even in this movie unless you count the few seconds when his head pops out of the window, Instead they could have Ernie, Bert, Telly, or Snuffleupagus, all of whom had larger roles in the movie

For the most part I like Elmo, even though I sometimes think he gets too much attention, but putting him on a cover of a movie he's not even in kinda bugs me

Gonzo14

Reaction score
sorry, i didn't realize there was already a thread about this

Status
Not open for further replies.