Your Thoughts: Letters to Santa Teaser On-line

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
they kinda already showed them meeting santa im pretty sure its a little late for that....besides whats so bizzare about them meeting santa...then again i guess the logic of a bear with a magenta nose is more realistic in a movie

MWoO

Reaction score
In what production did the muppets meet santa? And I'm not talking about realism here.

If you are talking about the clip from the NBC special then i already mentioned it as what I am worried about and that I hope it is kept to a minimum. And frankly there is a difference between a talking bear that does comedy and Santa. Santa is straight up children stuff. I'd rather overtly children's stuff not be included in muppet productions. Christmas is one thing, but Santa is strictly kids and it makes the muppets seem like strictly kids stuff as well.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
hah i love the internet and how it takes one phrase and turns it around, i was messing with ya MWOO didn't mean to ruffle feathers. i truly understand your logic of Santa being childish if anything he fits more in sesame street, hey id rather believe in talking frogs and comedian bears and a whatever any day, but i don't know it seems like a small part for Santa but hard to tell you know

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Santa is straight up children stuff. I'd rather overtly children's stuff not be included in muppet productions. Christmas is one thing, but Santa is strictly kids and it makes the muppets seem like strictly kids stuff as well.
Yeah I'm just slightly concerned because these same characters who talked about the universal spirituality of Christmas in years past are now reducing it to being excited over Santa Claus. I think in the past the Muppets were adult characters with adult qualities and interests, but that kids could enjoy as well. Hearing these characters now being shocked that one of them doesn't believe in Santa doesn't ring true to me.

MWoO

Reaction score
Yeah I'm just slightly concerned because these same characters who talked about the universal spirituality of Christmas in years past are now reducing it to being excited over Santa Claus. I think in the past the Muppets were adult characters that kids could enjoy as well. Hearing them now being shocked that one of them doesn't believe in Santa doesn't ring true to me.

Exactly. They were adults that happened to be puppets. Of course since santa actually exists in this special I suppose it makes sense for them to believe in him, but wouldn't it have been better if they didn't believe and then found he was real? At least then they could still be adults.

Also past specials were never really about Santa as much as they were about family. I hope in the end Kermit is happier about getting to spend christmas with his friends than he is about meeting Santa.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but wouldn't it have been better if they didn't believe and then found he was real? At least then they could still be adults.
Actually I think in years past they might have done it in sort of that way. Like, it makes sense for Robin to believe in Santa Claus and for Kermit to help him write a letter, not for Kermit to write his own letter.

Also past specials were never really about Santa as much as they were about family. I hope in the end Kermit is happier about getting to spend christmas with his friends than he is about meeting Santa.
Exactly, in MFC you felt like they were beyond the childish reasons for Christmas (sending letters to get presents for yourself for instance) and were more concerned with simply getting together.

MWoO

Reaction score
Also, even Sesame Street specials didn't out right show Santa. I don't know about the newer ones but Christmas Eve on Sesame Street didn't show Santa, it alluded to him. That's how it should be done. While this special does look well done and has the muppets in full form, I don't like that their ages seem to have been reduced. Now they are more like kids who have adult lives, like Bert and Ernie.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
While this special does look well done and has the muppets in full form, I don't like that their ages seem to have been reduced.
It does feel like they went from one extreme to the other here, from jaded to kiddie. Hopefully some balance can be reached. And you know, even Ernie and Bert had to buy each other presents, rather than write letters to Santa, which made for a poignant story about generosity and sacrifice.

But again, can't review it til ya see it. :smile:

pattywack

Reaction score
Wowww everyone seems so enthusiastic about the clips. It's getting me so excited, but even more annoyed that I can't see them :frown:

I wonder if the actual special will air on Australian cable?

I sure hope so!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wowww everyone seems so enthusiastic about the clips. It's getting me so excited, but even more annoyed that I can't see them :frown:

I wonder if the actual special will air on Australian cable?

I sure hope so!
Honestly, I think they're showing too much now, but we are all likely in for a treat.

It will probably hit YouTube, Hulu or there might be an offer to buy it after it airs from the NBC store like they did with their last Muppet Christmas special.