Your Thoughts: The Christmas Toy DVD

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
Is it bad?
While they could have fixed up the quality, it was still fun to watch.
It's not something I'll watch all the time but I enjoyed it enough to maybe watch it once a year say on Christmas lol

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I refuse to believe that Hit and Henson can't get these Kermit cameos/introductions included in these DVD releases. Heck, give Disney a bonus trailer for one of their projects on the DVD release. Hit seems more interested in turning a quick buck than keeping the fans happy these days. I'm glad this is on DVD, but it just seems so cheap to me. It deserves better.

I propose some sort of Jim Henson presents box set that somehow strikes a deal with Disney to include these deleted portions (along with an unedited MFC etc) to be released together or in numbered volumes. Fans will pay a premium price for these if they receive the right treatment.

KerMatttheFrog

Reaction score
I propose some sort of Jim Henson presents box set that somehow strikes a deal with Disney to include these deleted portions (along with an unedited MFC etc) to be released together or in numbered volumes. Fans will pay a premium price for these if they receive the right treatment.
I don't know the work or money that would go into this sort of licensing, but I'd surely shell out the money to have DVD versions of that stuff with "the Kerm" back in them. I for one WAS pretty psyched when he unexpectedly (for me at least) popped up for a cameo on Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (which I think was underrated).:smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I agree this does seem like a low value dvd, it just sort of plays and loops.
There's no menue, no previews, it seems like not allot of care went into this dvd.

Frogster

Reaction score
Christmas Toy question

Hey, I saw that they released this special on DVD, however without Kermit. But I was curious... what's this special about? Is it "Tales Of The Bunny Picnic" good or "The Muppets Go To The Movies" good? lol In other words, is it geared more towards kids than the general Muppet fan like myself?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey, I saw that they released this special on DVD, however without Kermit. But I was curious... what's this special about? Is it "Tales Of The Bunny Picnic" good or "The Muppets Go To The Movies" good? lol In other words, is it geared more towards kids than the general Muppet fan like myself?
I liked it. It's like Toy Story meets Sesame Street meets Muppet Babies...kinda. That's the short of it. Actually it is quite different and parts of it are a little on the kid-friendly side, but it's a sweet special that I would recommend to anyone. And Dave Goelz plays the lead character. Can’t go wrong with that.

Of course, this was all plotted, created and filmed before Toy Story, but the idea is similar. One major difference that gives it the Henson-touch is that if a toy is seen moving on its own by a human it freezes in position for life. That somber creepy side creates a balance that keeps it from being too kiddie.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
So are these two DVD's worth buying? I don't own Emmet on DVD yet (I have a VHS copy with the Kermit scene) but don't own The Christmas Toy in any form so should I pick up both of these anyway or save my money?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
So are these two DVD's worth buying? I don't own Emmet on DVD yet (I have a VHS copy with the Kermit scene) but don't own The Christmas Toy in any form so should I pick up both of these anyway or save my money?
Well, from what I remember the Kermit parts are very brief. He shows up in Santa gear atop a house and slips down the chimney to introduce the special. He then shows up at the end to sing along. I believe that's it. It's only about two minutes and not really needed, but having seen the program in its entirety it just doesn't seem quite right without the frog. It is a good worthwhile program in its own right and you should at least NetFlix if not purchase the DVD IMHO. :smile:

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Well, from what I remember the Kermit parts are very brief. He shows up in Santa gear atop a house and slips down the chimney to introduce the special. He then shows up at the end to sing along. I believe that's it. It's only about two minutes and not really needed, but having seen the program in its entirety it just doesn't seem quite right without the frog. It is a good worthwhile program in its own right and you should at least NetFlix if not purchase the DVD IMHO. :smile:
No, no, no, I know Kermit's scenes in the special but I wanted to know if I should buy this DVD or go on EBay or something to get the older tape (they seem to pretty much be the same thing but with the Kermit scenes on the VHS).

And is the Emmet Otter DVD HIT put out worth replacing the VHS for?