Your Thoughts: Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez

What did you think of Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez?

• I loved Studio DC.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Studio DC was good.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Studio DC was just so-so.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I disliked Studio DC.

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
As far as commercials go, I remember the Pizza Hut commercials coming on, but I don't really remember them for the content. Though they didn't do anything to help the Muppet brand, I think the average viewer has forgotten about those commercials.

On the other hand, I liked the Muppets MasterCard commercials, but I don't think they did anything to help or hinder the brand either.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
As far as commercials go, I remember the Pizza Hut commercials coming on, but I don't really remember them for the content. Though they didn't do anything to help the Muppet brand, I think the average viewer has forgotten about those commercials.

On the other hand, I liked the Muppets MasterCard commercials, but I don't think they did anything to help or hinder the brand either.
I agree. The Master Card commercials were great. It offered the chance for the Muppets to be Muppets in the familiar setting of Manhattan. Those particular ads are about the individual lifestyle of the customer. I guess that's what works. The Pizza Hut commercials were more about dipping sauce and toppings. The same goes for the horrid (but strangely humorous) Pepe Silvers ads.

Oh, and Disney launching a new Muppet float in the Thanksgiving parade while having Kermit sing a song from the upcoming special shows just how much they care. I did like the Macy's windows of the past, but this idea gets the message out in a wider, lively and Muppety way. I just have so much Disney loving right now. I never thought that was possible. This is how I used to feel about it and this is how I feel now.

I am wondering if the DC specials will air again to promote the NBC special? I'm not sure how all that will work.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I am wondering if the DC specials will air again to promote the NBC special? I'm not sure how all that will work.
Disney constantly seems to re-air original movies and specials. I think that if they see an opportunity for publicity, they'll exploit it. And I'm not saying that in an altogether negative way. It makes sense to air something multiple times and get as much as you can out of it.

Is there really going to be a Muppet float this Thanksgiving? That'll really give me something to be thankful for!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Disney constantly seems to re-air original movies and specials. I think that if they see an opportunity for publicity, they'll exploit it. And I'm not saying that in an altogether negative way. It makes sense to air something multiple times and get as much as you can out of it.
Oh yeah in this case exploiting for publicity would be good, hehe. I just hope they do show more than just MWoO at some point. :wink:

Based on past experience, I am skeptical about all this and don't mind saying it. But at the same time, I'm keeping an open mind. DC was the right idea. :wink:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Based on past experience, I am skeptical about all this and don't mind saying it. But at the same time, I'm keeping an open mind. DC was the right idea. :wink:
I really do see where you're coming from.

No matter what, I guess it's a good idea to hope for the best.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
No matter what, I guess it's a good idea to hope for the best.
You're right, hope is more than just a feeling, it can also lead to action. Over pessimissim is no good, nor is over optimism. But an overall faith does not hurt. :wink:

Davina

Reaction score
i think a good deal of what people might see as having been sacrificed may stem from newer performers who are still trying to work into a long established character that a lot of people know so darn well they can tell if the original performer was actually at the helm or dubbed, or had a cold that day.. In all fairness, that aspect needs to be allowed for. It may irk some of us to have a voice be off, or movements not as smooth as we're use to, but at least they are trying on that point, and given time, should settle out.
The only other real "sacrifice" that I think is really obvious has been the whole Piggy pounding.. they have gotten downright mean at times in dealing with her and that is rather uncalled for... whether that is a fault of the writers not knowing how to handle the Piggy/Kermit dynamics or a clash of personalities with the performers not being able to meld it properly, I don't know.. but many of us want the love back, even if it was at times very passive aggressive.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In all fairness, that aspect needs to be allowed for. It may irk some of us to have a voice be off, or movements not as smooth as we're use to, but at least they are trying on that point, and given time, should settle out.
You're right, new voices and performing are a fact and they're doing the best they can, I think it's good. :smile:

The only other real "sacrifice" that I think is really obvious has been the whole Piggy pounding.. they have gotten downright mean at times in dealing with her and that is rather uncalled for... whether that is a fault of the writers not knowing how to handle the Piggy/Kermit dynamics or a clash of personalities with the performers not being able to meld it properly, I don't know.. but many of us want the love back, even if it was at times very passive aggressive.
I guess that's the main thing worrying me.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
i think a good deal of what people might see as having been sacrificed may stem from newer performers who are still trying to work into a long established character that a lot of people know so darn well they can tell if the original performer was actually at the helm or dubbed, or had a cold that day.. In all fairness, that aspect needs to be allowed for. It may irk some of us to have a voice be off, or movements not as smooth as we're use to, but at least they are trying on that point, and given time, should settle out.
I can see that. Some much older fans passed on the Steve's Kermit years ago and haven't returned. It's such a difficult position to fill the frog's flippers! Witnessing some of the recent agility and performances of Kermit on the DC specials in comparison to some of his early work with the frog shows how much he has grown into the character. It will always be different and the voice will likely always have a bit of Wembley in it, but I am amazed how much of Jim's Kermit charm has returned in Steve's performances these days. :smile:

The Muppet world suffered a great loss with the passing of Jerry Juhl. He understood the frog-pig dynamic better than anyone. I think you hit the nail on the head about it having passive aggressive elements. It is that pressure that eventually explodes into a karate chop. Much of the recent writing begins at the escalation point rather than build up to it. It's hard to say because some writing is better than others. I truly feel that whether it is Studio DC, the NBC special or the new Muppet movie - the Muppets need at least one consistent head writer that understands them and can give them their true voice back in all of its Muppetyness both subtle and extreme. :big_grin:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think that the writers have been trying too hard with the Miss Piggy/Kermit dynamic. It's as though they've gone so far in their writing that it's lazy. It's like saying "Things aren't funny? Let's make the pig psycho!" Some people blame Piggy for being downright abusive. Some people blame Kermit for being insensitive or cruel. They just need to tone it down some. Yes, there should be quite a bit of tension and karate chops, but they need to pull back and show more tender, real moments between the two, at least once in a while.