Your Thoughts: Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez

What did you think of Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez?

• I loved Studio DC.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Studio DC was good.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Studio DC was just so-so.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I disliked Studio DC.

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm just not sure about the message we're sending to young people. "We know what the really great material is. But since you refuse to listen, we'll indulge you and show you newer, untested material first to please you." We're kinda telling kids it's OK to reject history and older entertainment. But it's not; adults have to encourage kids to appreciate these things. (And again, there are so many kids who actually do). :smile:
I just don't think braining these young people over the head with what hasn't worked time and again isn't the solution. None of us can will these perceptions to be different. They must be coaxed.

This current multi-teared approach is new and aggressive, but Disney's rout with these younger potential viewers is rather safe. Risky is only good when it works. I'd rather the Muppets get big enough in all markets so they can have enough clout to take such risks. That can't happen if these currently turned off "yungins" see the Muppets as retro relics paired with stars they don't know and styled in clothing trends of the past.

I don't like it, but that doesn't change the way it is. If the Muppets were merely trolling for viewers I'd feel diffrently, but they are not. They are catering a bit more than is comfortable to some of us older fans. It is my hope that will pass soon.

EDIT: I personally applaud your very optimistic perception of the Muppet brand and I wish it were so. I think it can be that way soon. I don't see Disney's approach with tweens as particularly optimistic or pessimistic. I find it a pragmatic achievable goal and right now I think that's what the brand needs in that market.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
EDIT: I personally applaud your very optimistic perception of the Muppet brand and I wish it were so. I think it can be that way soon. I don't see Disney's approach with tweens as particularly optimistic or pessimistic. I find it a pragmatic achievable goal and right now I think that's what the brand needs in that market.
Well OK I'll respond to this, hehe. Thanks. Well sometimes you have to have hope and optimism for things to happen. But being pragmatic is good too.

I'm just thinking, Kermit could have changed his Manhattan Melodies show to what the indifferent producers wanted. Instead, he waited until he found the right one. :wink:

I just don't think braining these young people over the head with what hasn't worked time and again isn't the solution. None of us can will these perceptions to be different. They must be coaxed.
It's just weird how you and I have different opinions about which approach has actually been tried before. My viewpoint is that the classic material is not given enough exposure, while the newer material hasn't been as successful. But you say the classic material does have exposure and just doesn't work. I mean, they can't both be true...can they? ::shrugs:: Hehe

And sometimes too much coaxing with kids leads to indifference too. Like that Tough Pigs article said, with the 1st DC, there was too much of a sense of, "See? These Disney stars like them! Don't you want to like them too?" It was too desperate.

But I really need to take a break, lol. It takes a lot of energy. :wink:

Luke

Reaction score
It's just weird how you and I have different opinions about which approach has actually been tried before. My viewpoint is that the classic material is not given enough exposure, while the newer material hasn't been as successful. But you say the classic material does have exposure and just doesn't work. I mean, they can't both be true...can they? ::shrugs:: Hehe
I know you aren't really intending to participate on this that much at the moment, but just to say, Henson did try TMS and Fraggle on channels at various times - generally it didn't go down too well. I think the shows are great, but they have dated a lot (especially TMS with the guest stars, and even MT). For some reason kids seem to still get into the original movies though, maybe because they are just stand alone things they can sit through. To be honest, they already have all their Hannah's, Suite Lifes, Camp Rocks to get into and they are all heavily replayed, with merchandise shoved down their throats too. I kinda wudnt blame them for not taking much notice of an episode of TMS or MT broadcast inbetween, i think thats why it really does need this Disney star/New material approach - not that it's upto the standard of Jims stuff by any means! :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I won't pretend Disney's teen idols aren't hugely popular (and some are actually not that bad).

It's just that I keep thinking of MTM, where Kermit is frustrated that no ones wants his musical. At one point decides, "If you can't beat, join em" and tries to be something he isn't. Obviously it doesn't work (and the movie would have been hugely irresponsible to show otherwise). And Kermit later laments he feels like a phoney. It took some waiting but he finally finds a producer who wants to make the show the right way.

Lessons such as this should not just exist in movies, but in real life too. I don't want to encourage kids (or adults for that matter) to change their image in order to be accepted in life. And there's been too much of that with the Muppets lately. Even in these modern times, it matters how we chose to live our lives. :smile:

Again, no offence to the newer productions, but they did not attract the same large audience.

And it pains me that we're allowing the popular tastes of some kids to make us ignore the kids who do enjoy older entertainment. I'm sick of giving into popular kids and the adults they grow up to be. It's not worth it.

Luke

Reaction score
And I will say I think the 2nd DC has been so well received because it was closer to the original Muppet spirit than other recent projects. :smile:
I didn't respond on it before but i do really agree with this comment. It does seem that what with Youtube, Muppets.com, the 2nd Studio DC and also from what i have heard of the Segal movie and seen of Letters From Santa, the projects that have showed more "classic" Muppet spirit do seem to be being better recieved. Segal is completely right about going back to their roots, playing themselves. There is some updating of the Muppets that might help them go down better with the kids, but as you say, they should still be themselves. I think it is just all about getting the mix right between old and new. They're getting there, slowly!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I didn't respond on it before but i do really agree with this comment. It does seem that what with Youtube, Muppets.com, the 2nd Studio DC and also from what i have heard of the Segal movie and seen of Letters From Santa, the projects that have showed more "classic" Muppet spirit do seem to be being better recieved. Segal is completely right about going back to their roots, playing themselves. There is some updating of the Muppets that might help them go down better with the kids, but as you say, they should still be themselves. I think it is just all about getting the mix right between old and new. They're getting there, slowly!
Oh I agree, Segal does seem to understand. And it is true that updating isn't necessarily bad. The Muppets transitioned from the '70s to the '80s, but were still the same characters. A balance and mix is definitely what's needed. :smile:

"He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away." :wink:

Muppet Loverr

Reaction score
Now I dont have time to read through 14 pages of comments, but like..

I like this one alot more than the first one...the 1st one seem to be a little to jumbled~!

Miss Piggy was great~! Maybe they will relaed a DVD of these 2 specals soon. Disney Channel likes doin that. Haha.

(Did any one eles spot that arm wire? (From the part with Miss Piggy and the Cheetahs))

I enjoy Selena, I think shes a wondeful actress..~!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Okay, my country doesn't have the Disney Channel so I did not see this or the last DC special. But reading some comments, I'm getting the feeling that it was much better if not actually great, and that makes me so happy! Yay. ^_^

Luke

Reaction score
Okay, my country doesn't have the Disney Channel so I did not see this or the last DC special. But reading some comments, I'm getting the feeling that it was much better if not actually great, and that makes me so happy! Yay. ^_^
You'll find it on Youtube!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I won't pretend Disney's teen idols aren't hugely popular (and some are actually not that bad).

It's just that I keep thinking of MTM, where Kermit is frustrated that no ones wants his musical. At one point decides, "If you can't beat, join em" and tries to be something he isn't. Obviously it doesn't work (and the movie would have been hugely irresponsible to show otherwise). And Kermit later laments he feels like a phoney. It took some waiting but he finally finds a producer who wants to make the show the right way.

Lessons such as this should not just exist in movies, but in real life too. I don't want to encourage kids (or adults for that matter) to change their image in order to be accepted in life. And there's been too much of that with the Muppets lately. Even in these modern times, it matters how we chose to live our lives. :smile:

Again, no offence to the newer productions, but they did not attract the same large audience.

And it pains me that we're allowing the popular tastes of some kids to make us ignore the kids who do enjoy older entertainment. I'm sick of giving into popular kids and the adults they grow up to be. It's not worth it.
What Disney is doing now seems to be working. Time will tell. We have never seen a push like this and early criticisms are premature. The Muppets have not "trolled" for an audience under this recent guidance as depicted in your MTM afro-wigged Kermit "sell the show" reference. That would be an objectionable offense. If that time came (I don't believe it will) I would be the first to start a letter writing campaign.

Disney is casting a wide net to see how much interest there is for the Muppets in every market. They want these "undecided" tweens and are making an effort to reach them. Getting them would pump a lot of needed money into the franchise and the Muppets can make more of the A+ media the writers and performers really want to do. Can the characters be themselves and still generate heat in that market? That's what they're finding out by going directly to the Disney tweens' stomping ground for introductions. Now, the characters reined it in a little more than usual as not to be presumptuous, but Fozzie was still Fozzie etc. No lobotomies as I saw it. Disney is the best at knowing this market so I trust them as they haven't done anything so far in this current effort that diminishes the Muppets. Fans will always think there's room for improvement no matter what the Muppet project. That's what we do. :wink:

It is way too soon to judge any area of this Muppet push. The deadline for this steady plan appears to be Segel's movie. So until then I will support them. They haven't done anything to embarrass the brand or contradict who they are yet. Let's not assume that they will or that we know better. :attitude:

Now, the Pizza Hut commercials...even though the Muppets originated from the advertising world, I agree with Frank Oz' assessment and distaste for them. They weren't bad, but they did diminish the brand a little. I admit to being a bit happy when they aired merely because it was new and had Muppets. The reality was it was just a way to make quick cash from the characters with no real strategy behind it to get the Muppets anywhere better than they were. These new projects are strategic building blocks placed by a company with a proven track record for results.

I have been amazed how true to the characters the Mouse has been in all of these recent projects. I never expected that from them so I have faith in them. New online media, books, specials, build-a-Muppet and a spankin' new movie! There's not anything legitimate to complain about quite yet unless Pepe introduces a new dipping sauce at Long John Silvers!