Your Thoughts: Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez

What did you think of Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez?

• I loved Studio DC.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Studio DC was good.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Studio DC was just so-so.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I disliked Studio DC.

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

Quazimoto

Reaction score
Alrighty, I don't really have the time to go through 13 pages of this thread, but having just watched the new Studio DC, I must say... BRAVO.

:smile:

It was so much better than the first one. By leaps and bounds even. While I feel the first had good intentions, it's execution was terrible (IMHO). This time around however, everything was much smoother. The character interaction. The pacing. The overall set-up and storyline. It was all and all 100 tiems better than the first SDC. Plus, Fozzie had a much bigger role, which is always a good thing.

:embarrassed:

The only gripes I would have with the second SDC is that, once again, it was too short and left me wanting more. Half an hour would be great for a more regular show, but if they want to keep it as periodic specials, perhaps an hour would be better suited to highlight the Muppets a bit more.

Other than that I was a little disappointed at the lack of Bobo The Bear, Sam Eagle, & Rowlf. It was nice to see Scooter again, eve if he was missing any semblance of a neck, and wonderful to have the Electric Mayhem return once more, but what's the deal with the missing characters. Bobo I can kinda understand as he's a more recent Muppet addition, but no Rowlf or Sam Eagle!

:attitude:

All in all, I thouroughly enjoyed the second SDC and look forward to more to come.

Luke

Reaction score
Like I said, I have no problem with Disney bringing in new material to introduce kids to the Muppets. I do think showing the Disney kids with the Muppets can help. I just don't agree with the idea that kids need to see new things, before liking older things. That's not what I see from people.
I agree and disagree. I've experienced it myself, and also had the same debate over Fraggles. It is totally true that you can show a small group of kids TMS or Fraggle Rock and some of them will sit down and enjoy it. I think the case is though that these shows, being older and times having changed, not just in the world but also in terms of how TV for kids is put together (pacing, style, scripting, the need for licensing opportunities) they need to put out new stuff in the style kids are more used to watching in order to be able to make the brand have some kind of mass impact. There is then definitely a case they can air the classic stuff, especially the movies.

It does seem to be slowly working - comments on the first DC special were kinda mixed, but i've seen a lot of positive stuff written for this one. Disney aren't shoving the Muppets down the kids throats like they did with Hannah, Suite Life, HSM so there must be some gradual acceptance of Kermit and the gang! (especially Beaker, those kiddies luv them some Meep Meep) :eek:

GregJ

Reaction score
I'm happy to see the Muppets doing anything, even if it is only to play off the current crop of Disney 'tween stars. I do think it's rather tacky that they introduce them as 'The Muppets' instead of 'Jim Henson's Muppets,' though.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think the case is though that these shows, being older and times having changed, not just in the world but also in terms of how TV for kids is put together (pacing, style, scripting, the need for licensing opportunities) they need to put out new stuff in the style kids are more used to watching in order to be able to make the brand have some kind of mass impact. There is then definitely a case they can air the classic stuff, especially the movies.
I get you, I just don't think the world has changed all that much based on my observations of history. We just all have very sort memories, or none at all if we weren't there. I think the media has always tried to give the impression of how much times change, for dramatic effect and to keep things fresh, and make a new generations of consumers feel special. (I mean think about it. We can't ALL be "The Pepsi Generation!" No matter what the TV tells us. :wink:)

But in reality, people haven't really changed that much (and we all still listen to the media!). :wink:

And I will say I think the 2nd DC has been so well received because it was closer to the original Muppet spirit than other recent projects. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just remembered that NetFlix has given the Muppets great exposure for both the Muppets Take Manhattan and the Muppet Show Season Three. Both have been prominently featured in web and print ads that advertise NetFlix.

I suppose Disney's thinking with DC is they've already got the core fans like us and they have most likely tracked the numerous younger fans already intrigued with everything that is Muppet. With DC they are reaching out to those younger Disney Channel fans that aren't biting at the recent Muppet offerings.

Again, I am all for more eyeballs and SDC is a great compromise in making that happen, yet I still hope that sort of thing is brief and temporary. I prefer just one Muppet world where all are welcome and entertained and believe that can happen. Disney could do a better job by plugging TMS season 3 in an ad or stick it in the bottom of the screen. Now that would make me very happy. That is ideal. :embarrassed:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Disney could do a better job by plugging TMS season 3 in an ad or stick it in the bottom of the screen. Now that would make me very happy. That is ideal. :embarrassed:
Agreed, that would give the impression that they aren't trying to separate the fans or show a preference to the old or new. And after seeing DC, some kids might be interested. (Yes I do admit that, lol, I'm just saying it's not the only way to do it. Old doesn't have to take a back seat to new.) :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Agreed, that would give the impression that they aren't trying to separate the fans or show a preference to the old or new. And after seeing DC, some kids might be interested. (Yes I do admit that, lol, I'm just saying it's not the only way to do it. Old doesn't have to take a back seat to new.) :wink:
:attitude: Just for clarification - It is my belief that old only has to take a temporary back seat to new in this Disney Channel market in order to gain these particular younger viewers who have already been exposed to some advertisements of the old and rejected it. Other than that I am with you. Nothing beats TMS, TMM and GMC in my book. Nothing. :cool:

Some kids are already interested in the Muppets no matter what. That is not what these DC specials are for. They are to pick up the potential "swing fans" or "previously disinterested" viewers in order to strengthen the Muppet fan base that will allow for greater opportunities to solidify the brand in the future. This is just one portion of a much larger push in many areas and age groups. If you have any better ideas that will actually work definitely forward them to the Disney marketing department, however this seems to be doing the trick.

I really do want to focus on the Muppets moving forward. Still, the remedy seems to marry this new DC stuff with advertising for the classic TMS stuff this portion of the Disney tween has previously passed up. The Disney Channel, Nick, MTV and others stick ads at the bottom of the screens and in crawls all the time.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just for clarification - It is my belief that old only has to take a temporary back seat to new in this Disney Channel market in order to gain these particular younger viewers who have already been exposed to some advertisements of the old and rejected it. Other than that I am with you. Nothing beats TMS, TMM and GMC in my book. Nothing.
Understood. :smile: It's just that, no offense to the newer projects from the '90s and now, but they did not bring the same large audience the Muppets once had. And I still say the older material has barely been given the exposure. So I am being skeptical, but optimistic. :smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Understood. :smile: It's just that, no offense to the newer projects from the '90s and now, but they did not bring the same large audience the Muppets once had. And I still say the older material has barely been given the exposure. So I am being skeptical, but optimistic. :smile:
I think it is best to "hit the reboot button" at the Segel Muppet movie deal, the YouTube/Muppets.com clips, Studio DC and the new Christmas special in the works. The Times article expresses a brand new push different than ever seen before with the Muppets (even in Jim's day).

The reason that I cite newer 90s projects as better ones for Muppet introductions to this new Disney tween market is merely from an aesthetic branding point of view. It's the sugar frosting to entice these previously disinterested viewers before biting into the richness that is the classic Muppets. The continuity of character likeness is very important to that market too. Whatever is going to move them forward so that everything will eventually rise to the surface. I prefer a lot of new projects rather than 90s ones, but seeing that ABC Disney already has full ownership rights to Muppets Tonight it is a no-brainer to sprinkle some of those on the Disney Channel.

Again, this is just for these particular potential straggling fans. We “lifers” know where the good stuff is and how wonderful it is. I really think this overall push is going to work so I have no worries we’ll get *all* the good stuff in time. :flirt:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think it is best to "hit the reboot button" at the Segel Muppet movie deal, the YouTube/Muppets.com clips, Studio DC and the new Christmas special in the works. The Times article expresses a brand new push different than ever seen before with the Muppets (even in Jim's day).
Those all may turn out to be great, and I hope they are. But again, Jim-era material was interntionally successful for years. Post-Jim material has not as yet achieved that (again no offence to them).

Again, this is just for these particular potential straggling fans. We “lifers” know where the good stuff is and how wonderful it is. I really think this overall push is going to work so I have no worries we’ll get *all* the good stuff in time. :flirt:
I'm just not sure about the message we're sending to young people. "We know what the really great material is. But since you refuse to listen, we'll indulge you and show you newer, untested material first to please you." We're kinda telling kids it's OK to reject history and older entertainment. But it's not; adults have to encourage kids to appreciate these things. (And again, there are so many kids who actually do). :smile:

The discussion's great but I have to drop out for now, hehe. Thanks!