Your Thoughts: Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez

What did you think of Studio DC Hosted by Selena Gomez?

• I loved Studio DC.

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Studio DC was good.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Studio DC was just so-so.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I disliked Studio DC.

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
Finally got to see this on YouTube again. Wish that they would show this on Disney Channel UK. This is has to be the best thing the Muppets have done since the Muppet Show.

I'm loving it, I feel 3 years old again. I am a big Disney Channel Fan so the fact that DC stars are working with the Muppets to me is fantastic.

Leanne
x

Bring Studio DC to the UK Please!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The Beaker duet moment is definitely really sweet. The only thing that occurs to me is, how are today's kids who haven't seen Muppet Show or some of the movies supposed to understand why these puppet characters are the way they are? It seems to me this is the mistake companies keep making. Attempting to reintroduce a '70s or '80s icon to today's kids without any sort of proper introduction. Showing Muppet Wizard of Oz isn't going to make it much clearer to kids.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Beaker duet moment is definitely really sweet. The only thing that occurs to me is, how are today's kids who haven't seen Muppet Show or some of the movies supposed to understand why these puppet characters are the way they are? It seems to me this is the mistake companies keep making. Attempting to reintroduce a '70s or '80s icon to today's kids without any sort of proper introduction. Showing Muppet Wizard of Oz isn't going to make it much clearer to kids.
That's exactly what this special does. Studio DC takes its crew of established or relatable stars and pairs them with the Muppets in order to connect the dots to younger viewers that there is something cool about the Muppets.

The Muppets then kind of navigate through the (albeit somewhat ill-fitting) familiar Disney show advertising template. In this they don't make a formal introduction, rather they plant the seed of what each character is about in a very brief time period. The first special really failed at that key component due to its strangling these moments with too many schizophrenic cuts.

From this special's brief introduction to the Muppets (through the Disney kids) younger audiences can rent, buy or surf for more classic Muppet materials that better establish the characters. These specials are merely giving them a reason to want to do so. I assure you that before these specials far too many kids didn't have enough of an idea of the Muppets as viable entertainment for their generation.

These kids are a crucial demographic for the Disney brand. It could all be done a lot better, but I'd rather the Muppets pull out the big guns for one of these more exciting projects to come.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's exactly what this special does. Studio DC takes its crew of established or relatable stars and pairs them with the Muppets in order to connect the dots to younger viewers that there is something cool about the Muppets.
If that is the case, they're going to have to keep making these and develop a pattern. (And not just show one Muppet movie where they're playing other characters).

There were kids who did like the Muppets before this though. Not all kids need to be told something is cool (thank goodness, heh). The problem has been that not enough classic material has been made available.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't have to mean that, but that's what's been happening from where I'm sitting. Yes the older movies are being released on DVD, but they're not given exposure on Television, how would kids know to buy them (unless their parents encourage it which would be good)? And it's wonderful that Muppet Show is on DVD, but it's so expensive for most people. And so many of the specials have just disapeared. Like I said before, this girl at the Paley Center was enjoying Muppets Go to the Movies, but when will she get to see it again? Only if they put it on a future Muppet Show DVD. And that would be nice, but I'm not sure it would happen.

But I get what you mean about the "either or" thing, and we shouldn't be too extreme in either direction. :wink:
Unfortunately older movies don't get much exposure in general. It’s not just Muppets. I think the "new classics" catch phrase on the TNT network best sums it up. That network replaces the airing of real classics with very recent popular films, yet still labels them classics. I remember Ted Turner once boasting his colorizing of classic films by stating, “Black and white isn’t cool anymore!” Um…where’s one of Fozzie’s cream pies when you need one? I like good movies old and new.

I actually felt the 50th anniversary Muppet film DVDs were too geared toward children in cover art, special features and the near-discarding of the widescreen versions (originally the DVDs were set to be completely pan and scan). Those Disney DVD treatments were pretty underwhelming, but they were advertised to kids on some kids' cable television markets and on numerous kids' DVDs. Still, there should have been more promotion, but an effort was definitely made. A more proportionate one will be made in the future once there is a demand for it from new fans made by SDC.

The Muppet Show DVDs are competitively priced. There is no way they could come out any cheaper and not contain cuts. I am actually impressed that they have been able to keep the price so low ($39-34 range on Amazon is similar to classic television like MASH and far cheaper than Ugly Betty or other current ABC/Disney fare).

The magic formula for the Muppets, Disney and their Channel as I see it: Kids see the Muppets on Studio DC. + They then see similar looking Muppet productions (where the Gonzo puppet resembles the current one) that appear to be fresh and exciting to them. + Market the current and new release Muppet DVDs in ads on the Disney Channel. = This will give Disney the younger fans the Muppet brand has been lacking in recent years and ultimately less division in project targeting. People of all ages will be seeking out Muppet product of all kinds.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
frogboy4 said:
Kids see the Muppets on Studio DC. + They then see similar looking Muppet productions (where the Gonzo puppet resembles the current one) that appear to be fresh and exciting to them. + Market the current and new release Muppet DVDs in ads on the Disney Channel. = This will give Disney the younger fans the Muppet brand has been lacking in recent years and ultimately less division in project targeting. People of all ages will be seeking out Muppet product of all kinds.
Ya know... normally I hate math, but I REALLY like this! :hungry:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Unfortunately older movies don't get much exposure in general. It’s not just Muppets. I think the "new classics" catch phrase on the TNT network best sums it up. That network replaces the airing of real classics with very recent popular films, yet still labels them classics.
Oh yes, absolutely! Very strange phenomenon to say the least.

The Muppet Show DVDs are competitively priced. There is no way they could come out any cheaper and not contain cuts.
You are right, it's true of every DVD now. It's just that it's further contributing to the problem as I see it.

The magic formula for the Muppets, Disney and their Channel as I see it: Kids see the Muppets on Studio DC. + They then see similar looking Muppet productions (where the Gonzo puppet resembles the current one) that appear to be fresh and exciting to them. + Market the current and new release Muppet DVDs in ads on the Disney Channel. = This will give Disney the younger fans the Muppet brand has been lacking in recent years and ultimately less division in project targeting. People of all ages will be seeking out Muppet product of all kinds.
Like I said, I have no problem with Disney bringing in new material to introduce kids to the Muppets. I do think showing the Disney kids with the Muppets can help. I just don't agree with the idea that kids need to see new things, before liking older things. That's not what I see from people.

Thanks for the discussion! :smile:

TheJimHensonHour

Reaction score
I haven't said anything yet because I've been so busy and dealing with health issues again but I thought this was much better than the first one, the Muppets acted like Muppets to me in this and that's what I was looking for.
Scooter and Beaker at the end where the icing on the cake.
This special made me happy and thats all that really counts.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Kids need to see new Muppet productions to generate interest in the old and in the brand in general. Wrong as we may think it is, the Muppets are generally viewed as a preschool brand currently. The assumption by many, many parents is that Muppets are the equivalent of Sesame Street and their kids are too sophisticated for that-- they watch Sponge Bob and DC and Muppets and Sesame are too simplistic and old fashioned. Note: This is not my view and I know we probably all know parents who don't think this way. But this is the default view of many parents who lack a proper appreciation for all things Muppet.

I think Disney is right to go after upper elementary and tween viewers for the Muppets. Separate them from Sesame in the minds of kids and parents. Create a little buzz. Maybe the kids will check out the old movies and TMS DVDs. Maybe they won't but they'll create enough audience demand for new projects. New projects will lead to new fans. As kids go from viewers to fans they will explore the old stuff. It takes time to build a new audience.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
Did you miss it? Want to watch it again? Well, Disney is planning on re-airing it several times over the next couple of weeks. Here's a listing of when it will be on again:
http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2008/10/catch-muppets-new-studio-dc-again.html
Thank you for posting these re-air times. I totally forgot to put it on the DVR but didn't think much of it as I didn't think much of the first one...but after reading all these great reviews, I MUST see it!