Hopes for The Muppet Show Season 4

bgeminton63

Reaction score
Actually now that I think about it and when I typed that out, I just pictured it, and now I have a pretty neat idea for it. What if it was a group photo for season five, with all the favorite and well know Muppet from front and back of the DVD. It could look a little like this...
http://www.meltyourfaceoff.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/the-muppet-show.jpg
It's a nice idea, but they wouln't really be able to use a picture with rizzo and pepe in it, because they were later characters (I know they used rizzo on the season 2 menu, but I thought that was wrong at the time:shifty:)

JJandJanice

Reaction score
It's a nice idea, but they wouln't really be able to use a picture with rizzo and pepe in it, because they were later characters (I know they used rizzo on the season 2 menu, but I thought that was wrong at the time:shifty:)
Why can't they, why wouldn't they be unable to, it's not like anyone who loves the Muppet Show would see Pepe and Rizzo and say oh well I'm not going to buy this, the fact the you say they wouldn't really be able to use them makes no sense, you're making sound like it's a law or something.

Well I didn't mean that extact picture, that was just used as an simple to get someone an idea of what I'm talking about, actually it should be a whole new group picture.

And besides you're wrong about Rizzo. Rizzo was a part of the Muppet Show, he started changing from just one of the Muppet rats to the famous Rizzo around season four. So putting Rizzo on the set would totally make sense. Putting him in season two was an odd choice cause he wasn't Rizzo than, but around season five, he was and it would be fine if you want to stick to the true Muppet Show.

As for Pepe, well I agree, but he's become so popular that Disney almost always founds a way to sneak him in, I have no doubt he would be in the special features. But I do agree, I would rather see it focus on the "classic" Muppet Show muppets, but Pepe has pop up in the extra features of Muppet Show seasons dvds, Muppet Movie, GMC, and so on. So putting him in a group cover, well whatever.

I understand what you're saying overall though and I agree. It should be all about the Muppet show and the Muppets that were there at the time. But to make it sound like it would be wrong to include the likes of Pepe just sounds odd to me.

bgeminton63

Reaction score
Why can't they, why wouldn't they be unable to, it's not like anyone who loves the Muppet Show would see Pepe and Rizzo and say oh well I'm not going to buy this, the fact the you say they wouldn't really be able to use them makes no sense, you're making sound like it's a law or something.

Well I didn't mean that extact picture, that was just used as an simple to get someone an idea of what I'm talking about, actually it should be a whole new group picture.

And besides you're wrong about Rizzo. Rizzo was a part of the Muppet Show, he started changing from just one of the Muppet rats to the famous Rizzo around season four. So putting Rizzo on the set would totally make sense. Putting him in season two was an odd choice cause he wasn't Rizzo than, but around season five, he was and it would be fine if you want to stick to the true Muppet Show.

As for Pepe, well I agree, but he's become so popular that Disney almost always founds a way to sneak him in, I have no doubt he would be in the special features. But I do agree, I would rather see it focus on the "classic" Muppet Show muppets, but Pepe has pop up in the extra features of Muppet Show seasons dvds, Muppet Movie, GMC, and so on. So putting him in a group cover, well whatever.

I understand what you're saying overall though and I agree. It should be all about the Muppet show and the Muppets that were there at the time. But to make it sound like it would be wrong to include the likes of Pepe just sounds odd to me.
fair enough, I just thought it seemed a bit illogical

dwmckim

Reaction score
Once the show settled from its initial experimental roots of throwing a bunch of characters at the wall and seeing what would stick, the show eventually had its "main four": Kermit/Piggy/Fozzie/Gonzo with a few Muppets vying for Main Muppet #5 - Scooter actually being the closest to this position (this is also pretty well referred to in Of Muppets & Men (the book))...and i think Scooter would be awesome for season 5 because (a) he was retired so long after Hunt's death, (b) he was the one holding things together backstage while the other four were stars onstage (yes, Kermit is often thought of the glue that holds The Muppet Show madness together...but while he was kind of the "group psychologist" and big decision maker - Scooter was the one carrying out the orders, the Chief-of-Staff to the "Chief" as Scooter would call Kerm (c) he has that nifty Muppet Show logo on the back of his jacket...and it should totally be a shot done from his back focusing on that jacket logo with Scooter looking back over his shoulder (but then, that would mean Disney would have to ... gasp... take a NEW photo of a puppet instead of using a stock footage shot we've seen hundreds of times before)

Something i had also thought of (and JandJanice actually beat me in posting this) was that 1-4 would feature one of each of the "main four" and since Season Five was the final season, the last image could be that representative of a grand finale featuring the cast...most likely an image of the Muppets in their opening theme arches (and of course you'd have the logo in the middle with Gonzo and his trumper in the O)...this could be a screenshot or a newly put together recreation of this...just please please PLEASE if they did that, not a whole bunch of those "seen it all before" photos photoshopped into an arches layout. That interior shot of the Muppets in the audience seats in season 3 was such a great idea and looked awesome for that split second you take it out and glance at it the first time but then when you look at it and see how they're all photoshopped in from different photo sessions and they're still the same tired-of-them images, it really ruined the effect.

2009 New Year's Resolution for Muppets marketing...if it somehow involves including a shot of Swedish Chef kissing his fingers, Fozzie with his hands up to his head, or that group shot that debuted at MuppetFest that's been used in almost every Muppet product since, SCRAP IT!

SgtGonzoPepper

Reaction score
Well even though the Floyd, Dr. Teeth, and Scooter ones were fantastic, Disney probably wants to go with a character everyone will recognize for Season 5. (Animal.) Not a lot of people nowadays can really recall who they are (Hopefully with all this new Muppet stuff, that will change). Plus I think Animal really jumps out when you're looking at a dvd stand at a store.

Also Frogboy's composites were very cool.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Those composites are fairly crude, but thanks. I really don't like much of the Photoshopped grouping of Muppets. They remind me of those cheesy collages some teenage girls stick up on their walls except using Muppets in place of the latest dreamy boy band members.

I am satisfied that Disney has been able to keep some nice uniformity to the cover art. I still believe they'll go with Gonzo then Animal and maybe save any group shots for a series set down the line. If they ever make a series box set maybe they could house it in a TV looking box with Muppet imagery inside. Kind of like the design that was done for the Muppet Show Fossil watch several years ago.

Either way, I really want to hear some info specs and release date for the next DVD. :eek:

Gemini Draco

Reaction score
I was just thinking it would be great if they had the Muppets at Disney World apart of the special features. Man, want that song that the Electric Mayhem sings. I like that song. Anyway, that is just what I am thinking.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
The reason for using those images over and over is probably: it cost less money and it gets the product out there faster. But yeah I agree it would be lame to see the same images of the muppets over and over again.

Though I would have less of a problem with the same photos than I do with photos that have nothing to do with the Muppet Show. It bugged me so much when in the first season and the back of the dvd set there was that picture of Animal, Gonzo and Kermit SKATEBOARDING, :mad:. That photo would of look kinda cool if it was 1994 or something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hopes? I hopes we get some information about S4 coming out soon. That's the only hope I have at the moment. Of course, when we got word of Season 3, was it like 2-3 months before we got the news?

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I agree with Gemini that they should put the Disney World special on DVD. I mean, seriously, they're OWNED by Disney, so it's not like they have to clear anything :wink: I have it on tape but it won't last forever.

I'm also hoping we'll get S4 news soon. At this rate it probably won't come up until middle/late this year.