Your Thoughts: Abby in Wonderland

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think my review will be biased as I didn't have to pay for a 10 dollar copy.....

But I thought it was a very cute little special, myself. Definately felt too short, and like it really needed to at least be a full 50 minutes. But we really got a nice character study on the part of Abby. She is in a rush to grow up, and by the end of her voyage, she realizes that hurrying into things like that causes trouble. It's best to keep looking forward to that day, yet enjoying her life before the time comes. A very valuable lesson, with kids racing to grow up these days.

Ernie and Bert's cameo was brilliant. Unlike I predicted, it seemed like they didn't completely blend the Alice books together ( I don't want to spoil their scene, so I won't say why).

And I have to say, I like how they handled the "Eat Me" and "Drink me" bits. And how Cheshire Cat Cookie's eyes disappeared last of all, in lieu of a toothy smile (as Cookie has no teeth). And Oscar came across villainous all the while staying clear of the "off with her head" thing.

Though, it was interresting to see that Elmo Rabbit was a blend of the White Rabbit and the March Hare... and yes, Grover's sequence may have been the best in the whole special.

So, pretty fun to watch, but as a DVD, it really seems like it should have been bulked up with something else. I give it 2 Wows... Wow Wow!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
One thing I was unhappy about was Zoe as the Door Mouse. Her freaking out at the mention of the word "cat" was not in character for her. I think Telly would been a better choice.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I got it for my birthday and I thoght it was good. I was a bit disapointed that Ernie didn't interact with Abby. I've never seen them interact before.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got it for my birthday and I thoght it was good. I was a bit disapointed that Ernie didn't interact with Abby. I've never seen them interact before.
But don't you remember? Those characters weren;t really in the book, and it's a common misconception :big_grin: . Anyone else think that was a shot at Disney?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really, as various productions of Louis Caroll's books get mismashed into one work as I've seen throughout the years.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
I finally saw it today. I really enjoyed the special, although it could have been longer, and some parts I thought went for too long. I really enjoyed Cookie's role, I laughed so hard at that, and also at the Grover sequence. The songs were great too, as I have had "My Own Fairy Tale" stuck in my head all day. I really enjoyed it, and it had a nice message. It also seemed a good study on Abby's character and gave a lot of character development.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It also seemed a good study on Abby's character and gave a lot of character development.
Absolutely. If there's one thing I hate about Elmo's World and stuff like that is you see the characters, but you don't see what makes them tick, their drive, their passions... etc. That dulls a character to me. But here we saw Abby explore her inner most desire, and how she comes to terms with it, almost growing up and moving on from it completely. We get to see a character develop and change and grow. Much better than having Abby pop up to say the letters of the day and sing songs about words...

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'd be sad if Abby moved on from the idea totally..Maybe she just learned that if you are going to pick your own fairy tale you might want to pick something a little less crazy than Alice in Wonderland :wink:. Of course, the wanting to be grown up part is common when you are really little...
But since she is a fairy being an 'adult' might mean helping in other fairy tales and never having her own after all :\. Maybe she was better off in Wonderland...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well there's nothing wrong with helping other young ones when they get their own fairy tales, hehe. And you know sometimes growing older and away from childhood only makes you appreciate it more. And it doesn't have to mean you give up what you love completely. :smile: