Your Thoughts: Abby in Wonderland

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Prawny baby. Send this to Phil, maybe he'll put it up in the Articles section.

Frankly, I'm not surprised TweedleBert and TweedleErnie got such a short cameo, their characters aren't from Wonderland but from Looking Glass Land, the follow-up that almost noone in movie/TV land seems to know off. It's been that kind of mishmash every time we get a new Alice production.
Would've thought they could've made this into something grander than reported at 41 mins. running time by including Big B as the Griffin and Oscar as the Mock Turtle with Grundgetta in the role of the Queen of Hearts.
Oh well, c'est la viv.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
The Count said:
Thank you Prawny baby. Send this to Phil, maybe he'll put it up in the Articles section.
I sent it a little bit earlier. I hope he likes it. I'd love to be a regular contributor.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, this is going to air on PBS on Nov. 28 (My station is at least)

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Can any character be the new Elmo? But on a more serious query... Which Wonderland characters did Rosita and Zoe portray respectively?
Rosita Played Rose-ita, The billingual flower, and Zoe was some sort of mouse, seen with Grover.

I wonder If the DVD will come out in Oz. I saw most of the Sesame Specials at my music store, and at Blockbuster.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, this is going to air on PBS on Nov. 28 (My station is at least)
Thank Frog! I don't want to buy this special, and I don't feel like seeing it in theaters. From what it sounds like, SW is up to its old tricks again, and making something that should have been much longer into a 3 year old friendly 40 minute special. And yes Count, thanks for pointing out that every single time we get an Alice project its a mishmosh of the 2 books, all in a blatant attempt to be identical to Disney's version. I have nothing wrong with their version (after all, it's the most iconic- every Mad Hatter I've seen clones Ed Wynne's performance), but I want to see something more close to the book.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think Grover was the one that stole the show for me, besides showing what a 'hatter' is to the next generation. I wished that they had put that mad was another word meaning crazy, but I guess they wanted to make it as preschool and we in the US friendly as they could :stick_out_tongue:. I sort of knew how bad it was going to be when I saw how thin Abby's copy of Wonderland was. Whatever happened to showing the classic version? It had pictures (but not as many) and it is not like ether of them can read yet...*sigh* I have a long running hate for shortened versions of classic fairy tales, most of all Alice& Looking Glass, that my ma had a copy of from the 40's with those very detailed pictures with tissue paper over them and use to read to me...

CoOKiE

Reaction score
I want to know more about this movie. I seen advertisment during the summer, in a mall... and thought it would be good...

However... when SS did Christmas Carol... i feel i wasted my money.

HUGE fan of Follow that Bird. I can always enjoy that movie. And i thought All the older films (BB in China, BB in Japan... Christmas on SS. Don't eat the pictures [btw, i have offical DVD copies of those listed, except don't eat the pictures... was there one?]) were too amazing. So, its not that i'm too old... SS really has been aiming at current generation children, instead of keeping the same taste they had when i was little... which is NOT a bad thing by any means.

I want to read everyones views on the movie... but hear n there i see little spoilders that i whish not to see lol.... so please, without spoilers... can someone please answer some questions?

1. Will a classic SS fan enjoy watching Abby? I can deal with Elmo. I have to say that because i know alot of older fans can't... and though i came into SS as he was a background character.. i can deal with him.

2. Will a classic SS fan enjoy this movie?

3. How much was changed from the original story? I'm not talkin about the Disney ver. Knowing the story, i care alot less for Disney's ways of ruining stories. Although Disney does a good job ruining and recreating lol.

Is this a mix of Alice in Wonderland and Looking Glass, like Disney?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
HUGE fan of Follow that Bird. I can always enjoy that movie. And i thought All the older films (BB in China, BB in Japan... Christmas on SS. Don't eat the pictures [btw, i have offical DVD copies of those listed, except don't eat the pictures... was there one?]) were too amazing. So, its not that i'm too old... SS really has been aiming at current generation children, instead of keeping the same taste they had when i was little... which is NOT a bad thing by any means.
I don't think the current generation would be any less entertained by the older material. People haven't changed as much as people seem to think. :wink:

I'm not positive but I don't think Don't Eat the Pictures has ever been on DVD. But I believe it's still available at the Museum giftshops on VHS.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't think the current generation would be any less entertained by the older material. People haven't changed as much as people seem to think.

I'm not positive but I don't think Don't Eat the Pictures has ever been on DVD. But I believe it's still available at the Museum giftshops on VHS.
Don't Eat was never on DVD but it is still being sold on VHS, I really need to get a new copy, it was the SS movie I grew up on, I never saw the others until later...

I agree that the current generation would like our SS just fine if they saw it, the nature of being a little kid really hasn't changed as much as the people that made Abby and pulled down the target age group of SS seem to think, and no one is too young for bigger ideas IMHO :smile:.
I don't hate Abby I just wish they had maybe made her a little older or something:smile:. Being girly and happy go lucky is one thing, but to have nearly every new monster they make be the level of Elmo or younger is a bit much IMHO:sympathy:...