Save the Fozzie Replica

Would you buy a full-size Fozzie Bear Photo Puppet Replica?

• Yes. money is no object

Votes: 123 45.2%
  • Yes. if he is $400-$600

Votes: 40 14.7%
  • Yes. if he is less than $400

Votes: 92 33.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Heck, even take the promo photos with the two posers together – just come out with Fozzie first.

If they do come out with a Reporter Kermit, it would also be a good idea for them to sell Kermit's jacket and hat separately – with a very steep profit margin. If done right, they may actually make more money on the accessories than they would make on a new Kermit poser.

I'm sure they'd rather sell the poser, but it'd be silly to miss out on the market of the folks who already have the MR version.
They should stick a little removable press pass in Fozzie's hat to tie sales to a Reporter Kermit to come later. :smile:

My feeling is that they should release a Fozzie, then a Reporter Kermit followed by a Miss Piggy then go from there to see if there's any more interest.

On another note, I think this new company should learn from the lessons of MR. 100% authentic materials are impossible. These posers must be durable enough to pass Disney muster and look like the characters first and foremost. If the only way foam can be used is if it is sock-covered than mold some plastic or flock and airbrush another material. MR did its best and a wonderful job at that. They are responsible for the poser market in the first place. I hope the new guys will respect what has come before and learn from it - and bring in Terry! I don’t know how this could work without him.

Nick22

Reaction score
i would love a reporter kermit, but wouldn't it be cool is they did a baby kermit, or kid kermit? it would make no sense it would be better than a whole other kermit. and they can just have the reporter outfit seperatly. idk. just an idea. i think they should do that, then of course, our bear, then miss piggy, and go from there. them im sure after miss piggy would be pepe and rizzo. i would love to see the electric mayhem. janice? rully, rully. that would be the coolest thing. and dr. teeth. WOAH! and floyd OOOH. and zoot AAAAH and amybe even...........lips *gasp* the chances of that actually happening? eh...........sigh

Luke

Reaction score
I didn't know about the license getting resold - most excellent news. I don't mind so much the idea of a Reporter Kermit, but i do hope they follow up with a Fozzie as soon as possible, and that they keep these as close to the Master Replicas products as they can in overall size, look, presentation. I get the feeling they will want to do their own thing rather than issue clothes that could go on a MR product, or take photos of their products with MR ones (which i believe they could probably get sued for actually).

I'm just kinda thankful someone is willing to take over anyway, but seeing as the main characters make the most money in any license i'm hoping we don't see Gonzo, Animal redone before others we'd like. The market is only so big, and we've all spent a lot of cash on what we already have. Saying that, a lot of improvements could be made with that Gonzo poser.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
I didn't know about the license getting resold - most excellent news. I don't mind so much the idea of a Reporter Kermit, but i do hope they follow up with a Fozzie as soon as possible, and that they keep these as close to the Master Replicas products as they can in overall size, look, presentation. I get the feeling they will want to do their own thing rather than issue clothes that could go on a MR product, or take photos of their products with MR ones (which i believe they could probably get sued for actually).
You misunderstood. I meant taking pictures of their version of Kermit before he comes out and selling the reporter's jacket and hat from their version separately so that those of us who already have MR's version (and aren't going to spend another $200 on a new one) could purchase it. After all, I doubt they'd change too much from MR's version of Kermit. Why re-invent the wheel and why incur design costs when they can just take what MR has already done and make slight improvements. I would also imagine this license would be purchased directly from MR, so I'm sure any specs, design work, etc. from MR would transfer to the new company on request.

As for a Baby Kermit, I'd love to see Robin made.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
My fear is that there hasn't been any credible proof that these are actually happening other than what Muppetperson has said. We really could be clutching at straws on this one and speculating on something that may not even be happening - although I genuinely hope that this is not the case.

Sorry folks, I'm a pessemist when it comes to these posers and feel they are destined to be a promise unfulfilled!

Luke

Reaction score
You misunderstood. I meant taking pictures of their version of Kermit before he comes out and selling the reporter's jacket and hat from their version separately so that those of us who already have MR's version (and aren't going to spend another $200 on a new one) could purchase it.
Ah, sorry. Haven't been on here for a while so only just catching up. Yes, good idea then - though i think they'd probably want to actually start with a Kermit as they'll be looking to attract new customers. I do agree though, considerations oughta be made for people with the existing posers.

Can a license actually be sold from one company to another? I was under the impression any new company would have to go back to Disney at the end of the current license, which i thought was this year anyway. I doubt they would be allowed to R&D from a MR Kermit if thats the case.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ah, sorry. Haven't been on here for a while so only just catching up. Yes, good idea then - though i think they'd probably want to actually start with a Kermit as they'll be looking to attract new customers. I do agree though, considerations oughta be made for people with the existing posers.

Can a license actually be sold from one company to another? I was under the impression any new company would have to go back to Disney at the end of the current license, which i thought was this year anyway. I doubt they would be allowed to R&D from a MR Kermit if thats the case.
MR's license with Disney expired this month and Disney decided to go with another company. Personally, I feel bad for MR, but good for fans. I think MR's parent company just won't allow them to do much and Disney wants items on the shelves. At least, that is my understanding of it. I'm sure it's more complicated than that. First Star Wars, now Disney. MR's future isn't very bright. I hope they find some niche so that they can continue to make high quality replicas.

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks Jamie, that makes a lot more sense.

I wonder where this new company has distribution - they must have some kind of plan for it knowing that Master Replicas had problems selling em after Kermit. I think the disney stores at the theme parks would sell through a few hundred at the very least - they seem to do well with the premium price Mickey Mouse statues. Also FAO Schwartz seems a good bet what with the Whatnots relationship. There are definitely opportunities to sell, its just getting the marketing and distribution right, nice photos as well.

I'm very excited to hear more!

Davina

Reaction score
I think a big part of the reason these didn't sell well for MR is the serious lack of promotion. Outside of this forum (well, and the MR site..) I never saw any actual promotion anywhere for these at all. Not even at the local MR distributor/card shop.. (my step son works there, so we talked to the owner/manager often..) I told them more about the replicas then MR had.. i mean sure, there were places you could buy them online left and right.. once you knew to look.. but if I hadn't been a member of this forum, I'd never have known they existed. that sort of thing certainly doesn't help sales..
I understand that MR had a whole slew of ownership change issues going on, and probably a lot more problems that we've never heard about that caused a lot of this, but really would have expected some sort of advertising alotment in their budget from the higher ups.. it just never looked like they got that..

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Much promotion depends upon retailers. They were all notified, but many passed before investigating customer interest. That's what makes deals with stores like FAO work better.

Some retailers have a misconception that Muppet items won't sell - but due to that perspective they help create some reality to the claim.

The Muppets need current projects to push products and vice-versa. Disney is now rectifying that in a way that Henson Co is still struggling with its brands. Try to get a retailer to stock Fraggles. Sure, it sells. It actually is impressive for a show that's been off the air for decades, but stores refuse to stock it. Say what you will about Hot Topic fashion, employees or customers - but they take chances on what many consider to be niche markets that actually are quite popular.

Long story short - Disney is actively pushing with the Muppet brand and MR hadn't produced anything new in over a year while $100 Whatnots are selling out at FAO. They're placing the Muppets out in the sunshine. I hope this trend continues and that the products are quality ones.