It's a Great Day to Be a Muppet Fan!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
maybe I'm just pining for the old days........ :frown:
But we must accept that change--the one constant in life--is what The Muppets need to stay alive. For if they don't change, they'll fall into the "repeating classic motions without sustanance" category that others have previously mentioned.

Redsonga

Reaction score
But we must accept that change--the one constant in life--is what The Muppets need to stay alive. For if they don't change, they'll fall into the "repeating classic motions without sustanance" category that others have previously mentioned.
I dunno, I don't think that having more love for the classics than every new thing that comes along really makes one any less of a fan..I don't think being a true fan really means we have to accept every change that's thrown at us just because 'that's the way it is':embarrassed:. For example, if, say, the new muppet movie or FR movie is good at keeping the characters 'alive' but I don't like them, does that really mean I am not a fan with love for the characters:sympathy:? Would overlooking that movie I don't like be turning my back on them? I don't think so:excited:...

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I don't think we MUST accept anything. I'm all for getting them out there again into the public eye but not if they're going to become cartoon parodies of themselves and what they once were. I think the one thing that whoever's writing these new projects has forgotten one very important thing: the thing that made the Muppets amazing from day one is that you BELIEVED in these characters.

They had emotions, they had specific characteristics that made them great, etc. Now it just seems let's see how "wacky" we can make them and watch us for a half hour. Its just become very "dry". That's why Sesame Street is still friggin' amazing. They have some of the best writers in television PERIOD. They still do great stuff with the characters on there by giving them fun storylines, and staying true to the characters' personalities.

These writers, etc. are too busy concerning themselves with trying to make the Muppets "hip". Jim and the gang didn't shoot for that originally. They put out stuff that was funny to them while giving the characters some heart and we got the great movies and shows that we did. Just let the Muppets BE and maybe we'll see more quality stuff.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I see this new Disney push as a different solid approach. The few people that believe Studio DC represents the future of Muppet content really aren't paying attention. I have decided to stay excited and try to refrain from engaging these perpetual naysayers. Bring on the election special, holiday special and the motion picture!

This is indeed the Muppet renaissance fans have been looking for.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Well, different people will have different opinions. And you know, I think it's amazing the Muppets are still "alive" and there is still such a massive fanbase, nearly twenty years after Jim Henson's passing. It seems as though most brands, save for a few, don't last five years past their conception, much less so long after it's parent and primary driving force is gone. It's a testament to the the creator, characters, the performers, the writers, and to even to Disney that it is still around. You aren't less of a fan for loving the old stuff! In fact, that's the meat and the heart of the Muppets. Everything else is icing on the cake. And the beauty of it is: You don't have to watch the new stuff it you don't want to. But if you do, it looks as though new Muppet material will be around for years to come, for better or for worse.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
IS IT? Speak for yourself, my friend
:sympathy: No need to be so grumpy and ALL CAPS about it. Go to YouTube. Go to Muppets.com. If the Muppets can't entertain a fan there then they never could. That's the Muppety goodness of the future, DC was the speedbump along the way. :wink:

Beauregard

Reaction score
An Election special...Wow! Remember the Muppet Congress special? If this thing turns out half as funny and original as that, it shall be amazing! Can't believe I only just heard about this.

Beau