Your Thoughts: The Muppet Show Season 3

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Oh, yeah! Wasn't that one of the original plans? Once all of The Muppet Show came out, I think they were considering a Muppets Tonight DVD. It would only need one collection, so it wouldn't be too much to put together, I wouldn't think. That'd be awesome! Say what you want, I liked Muppets Tonight.
Agreed! I liked Muppets Tonight a LOT! And it would be nice to have an actual, good quality copy of it, not a choppy one like I have now... :smirk:

And Pepper... how "worth it" is it? ...SO INCREDIBLY WORTH IT! The episodes are worth the price of the set alone, if not more! The comic genius is just... awesome. YES it's worth it.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Okay, so I don't have this yet. Thinking of buying it for myself as a birthday present... >< Obviosuly as a muppet fan I am obligated tog et it, but I want to know everyone's opinions: how "worth it" is it?
I'd say it's very worth it. It's nice to have an official DVD of the entire third season. If you're one to buy DVDs based on special features, maybe not so much (although what's there is good). The box... eh, you get used to it.

Also, if you're concerned about the Zoot endings, for me to get past that, I just reminded myself that if I were watching them on TV, they'd likely be cut altogether. At least they were when they were on Odyssey channel. The Zoot endings were replaced with the newer "Jim Henson Television" logo while in reruns. Plus all the other stuff that got trimmed (not just the UK spots).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks for all the reviews, guys! I do think I'm going to wait a little while for the price to maybe go down. But it's great to have the whole season on DVD, even if the features could be better. I will say though, I've seen "Muppets on Puppets" twice at the TV Museum and it's fabulous! You see all the Muppet guys in the early days, developing the characters clearly having a good time. :smile:

Convincing John

Reaction score
The fuzzy cover is not exactly hideous, but is a good imitation of it.
Okay, I gotta say it: "Hideous? For $1.69 a pound you want beautiful?"

I got the fuzzy Fozzie cover, too. Didn't think much of it either way. I was just looking forward to the episodes inside!

The Muppets sitting in the theatre seats picture is a cool idea, but has been done so much better so many times before. It is better than what I could have done, but the quality, lighting, and focus of each individual character is so different that it doesn't really pull together very well.
I thought the same thing. I haven't had time to watch the DVDs yet, I just opened up the cases and snooped at the discs before going to work again.

Why can't they use the older photographs to match the Muppets from the Muppet Show years? As the old Tough Pigs article about "flathead Kermit" puts it: "It's just a photo; they could just as easily have used (an older) one. It wouldn't have cost them any more, it wouldn't have been any harder to produce -- and it would look ten times better."

the first thing I saw was that "smoking" Swedish Chef they've been using recently. Yes, he's giving the "okay" sign, but ever since I read some comment (here?) that said "Hey, it looks like he's smoking!" That's all I see now.

So many Muppets were looking their best around 1979-1980. I could understand the newer posers used for Season 1, but that's different. Can you imagine this Piggy picture on Disc 2?

We all love the Muppet Movie (made around this time) so why not have "Muppet Movie-era" Muppet photos for the DVD cover/inside, etc? I'm glad whoever Photoshopped this together didn't include "blue scarf Fozzie".:rolleyes:

And...I haven't seen it yet, but just how choppy is the audio on "Muppets on Puppets"? How often does it lose audio? I just want to be ready in case when I watch it, this might happen:

Jim Henson: "You know, the most important thing about puppeteering is--"[no audio] "But of course, the secret to puppeteering has always been--"[no audio] "Now listen carefully, because I'm going to tell you exactly how you can become a Muppeteer just like me. First--" [no audio]

Me: "AAUGH!"

I'm saving watching it along with the old Purina Dog Food commercials for last. From what I've read, they sound awesome!

You know...has anyone looked at the Spike Milligan episode yet? I'm wondering if it wasn't edited. No, not because of the "Small World" song, but because of something else.

Check out the caricatures of different cultures Spike plays in that number. Not to open a can of worms, but other similar portrayals have been edited from other entertainment giants (Disney, Warner Bros.) when broadcast. Censors found those parts in their films/cartoons and like that barber, went "snippety snip". Did Spike's episode get "snippety snipped"?

Someone mentioned wanting Muppets Tonight on DVD. True, it had it's faults, but there was some of it I didn't get to see the first time around. I'd buy a DVD of it! Sure, Season 1 of the Muppet Show was kinda clunky. (Heck, even Jim knew that). But I bought it on DVD because I love the Muppets and some of Season 1 was cool. I feel the same way about Muppets Tonight. But would Disney release Muppets Tonight DVDs?

:rolleyes: "Elifino."

Convincing John

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And...I haven't seen it yet, but just how choppy is the audio on "Muppets on Puppets"? How often does it lose audio?
Well I only saw it at the TV Museum, but as I recall, the audio was fine. Strange if it's bad on this DVD.

I don't think I'd buy Muppets Tonight, but that's great if others would, it could get the Muppets more exposure. :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
You know...has anyone looked at the Spike Milligan episode yet? I'm wondering if it wasn't edited. No, not because of the "Small World" song, but because of something else.

Check out the caricatures of different cultures Spike plays in that number. Not to open a can of worms, but other similar portrayals have been edited from other entertainment giants (Disney, Warner Bros.) when broadcast. Censors found those parts in their films/cartoons and like that barber, went "snippety snip". Did Spike's episode get "snippety snipped"?

Someone mentioned wanting Muppets Tonight on DVD. True, it had it's faults, but there was some of it I didn't get to see the first time around. I'd buy a DVD of it! Sure, Season 1 of the Muppet Show was kinda clunky. (Heck, even Jim knew that). But I bought it on DVD because I love the Muppets and some of Season 1 was cool. I feel the same way about Muppets Tonight. But would Disney release Muppets Tonight DVDs?

:rolleyes: "Elifino."

Convincing John
I don't think the Spike Milligan episode is cut. At least, the Muppet Central review says these episodes are uncut. And there is some stuff he does that, I suppose, some might find offensive.

I was worried about this, too. There was a discussion not too long ago about cartoons smoking, and how they were getting cut. If they had done the same with these, so much would be lost. J.P. Grosse, Bobby Benson (especially since he smokes around kids), George Burns, Dr. Strangepork in the Peter Sellers episode. I'm glad that they're preserving them as they were originally intended to be shown.

How weird would it have been if they'd stuck a parental advisory on these sets like they did with the Looney Tunes DVDs, though? :embarrassed:

And I've always thought Season One of The Muppet Show was kinda clunky, too. There are some absolutely wonderful and hillarious, classic moments in there, but it does seem to fall in a lot more places than later seasons would. Still love the first season, but it wasn't the best. Which is why I wish more TV shows were given a chance, cuz the first season of any show is rarely as good as the rest of the series. Muppets Tonight finally hit it's mark when it got canceled. I hope it comes on DVD. Heck, I want everything the Muppets did on DVD! :wisdom: <-- a wise decision that.

ploobis

Reaction score
I don't think the Spike Milligan episode is cut. At least, the Muppet Central review says these episodes are uncut. And there is some stuff he does that, I suppose, some might find offensive.

I was worried about this, too. There was a discussion not too long ago about cartoons smoking, and how they were getting cut. If they had done the same with these, so much would be lost. J.P. Grosse, Bobby Benson (especially since he smokes around kids), George Burns, Dr. Strangepork in the Peter Sellers episode. I'm glad that they're preserving them as they were originally intended to be shown.

How weird would it have been if they'd stuck a parental advisory on these sets like they did with the Looney Tunes DVDs, though? :embarrassed:

And I've always thought Season One of The Muppet Show was kinda clunky, too. There are some absolutely wonderful and hillarious, classic moments in there, but it does seem to fall in a lot more places than later seasons would. Still love the first season, but it wasn't the best. Which is why I wish more TV shows were given a chance, cuz the first season of any show is rarely as good as the rest of the series. Muppets Tonight finally hit it's mark when it got canceled. I hope it comes on DVD. Heck, I want everything the Muppets did on DVD! :wisdom: <-- a wise decision that.
I wanna see the complete series of Muppets Tonight on DVD too! And don't forget all of the Muppet Television segments from The Jim Henson Hour! :wink:

Convincing John

Reaction score
Yes, Gilda and Raquel are great, too.
Ah, Gilda. Love her, love her, love her. If you have the Saturday Night Live Season 1 DVDs, you'll see that Gilda liked working with Scred. (Wouldn't Gilda have been awesome visiting Sesame Street?)

Of course, the Gilda Radner episode will always be dear to me. Here's a little somethin' I made for the Gilda's Club Quad Cities back in 2004.

Tap your troubles away...

And just for more authenticity...

"Plink!":confused:

I even added the teensy weensy drop of "Muppet Labs New Super Adhesive" to her forehead.

Convincing John

Convincing John

Reaction score
I wanna see the complete series of Muppets Tonight on DVD too! And don't forget all of the Muppet Television segments from The Jim Henson Hour!
Oh man...the Jim Henson Hour! That'd be wonderful to see again! I wonder...if Disney released them both, is it possible they could package 'em together in one box set? They've done it for some films and their sequels. Why not these?

Convincing John

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
In fear of sounding stupid I am a bit hesitant to to ask, but I'm asking anyway

what kind of fuzz is on the fuzzy cover? Is it like like whats on miss Piggy or is it more like hair. Just asking cause of Fozzie being hairy and all.