*Sigh* It's That Time of the Decade Again...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
A little off-topic, but I'd like to hear your thoughts about the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, Tooth.

http://www.commercialfreechildhood.org/

Yet there is no such campaign for commercial-free adulthoods. Go fig. :rolleyes:
This sort of campaign has been around since the early days of TV.

Matter of fact, wasn't it because of this "campaign", that TV characters stopped doing their own show's sponsors' commercials back in the 60s? I mean you look on YouTube, you see Andy and Barney selling Grape Nuts, the Beverly Hillbillies selling Corn Flakes, Oliver and Lisa selling orange juice, Hogan's Heroes selling Jell-O, etc... wasn't that done away with because of "fears" that it was warping the young kiddies' minds?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Matter of fact, wasn't it because of this "campaign", that TV characters stopped doing their own show's sponsors' commercials back in the 60s?
Well I admit I actually agree with that decision, lol. It's one thing to have TV shows and commercials separate. To combine them was misleading and manipulative, even for a commercial!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I dunno... had it continued through the 70s, I would've liked to have seen Radar hawk some grape nehi at us, lol.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I could deal with hawking cereal. It's when Fred and Wilma Flinstone are puffing up cigarettes that it gets to seem real odd.

anytimepally

Reaction score
I could deal with hawking cereal. It's when Fred and Wilma Flinstone are puffing up cigarettes that it gets to seem real odd.
don't you know? in the stoneage, cigarettes were actually delicious, didn't make you smell like a smokestack, and didn't cause cancer :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
don't you know? in the stoneage, cigarettes were actually delicious, didn't make you smell like a smokestack, and didn't cause cancer :smirk:
It's true. In one of my past lives, I lived in the stoneage and smoked about five packs a day, and lived to the ripe old age of 32.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course it hasn't ever REALLY stopped. You're subjected to a lot of subtle product placements and you may not even realize it until days later!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Of course it hasn't ever REALLY stopped. You're subjected to a lot of subtle product placements and you may not even realize it until days later!
True enough.

Biggest example I can think of is Alvin, Simon, and Theodore eating Honeynut Cheerios for breakfast in The Chipmunk Adventure... I don't believe I've ever seen product placement in a cartoon in quite that same fashion before or since.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
True enough.

Biggest example I can think of is Alvin, Simon, and Theodore eating Honeynut Cheerios for breakfast in The Chipmunk Adventure... I don't believe I've ever seen product placement in a cartoon in quite that same fashion before or since.
Lol, yeah that one's pretty infamous now. Actually even as a kid I remember thinking, "Wow, I've never seen a real cereal in a cartoon show before!" Lol

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Most of the time, in cartoons or comics, you have spoof products... like, I believe in the Get Fuzzy, the popular burger joint is "MacDougals".

Oddly enough, I remember one time I did a bit of unusual product placements in a fanfic I wrote: I refered to Doritos, Cheetos, and Fritos by brand-name, but instead of utilizing the actual brand of Clausen's Kosher Pickles, I did a spoof called Dawson's Kosher Pickles... which, is kind of odd now that I think about it, to use other brand-names, then a spoof brand. But then again, it got a running gag out of it that "Why does Richard Dawson get his own brand of pickles?"