*Sigh* It's That Time of the Decade Again...

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Which is why when I'm in television, I'm going to make sure all my shows have that "old school" look and feel to them... but no so much everyone's walking around in polyester leisure suits, and saying "far out" all the time, lol!
*recalls Vic the Slick saying and dressing like just that*

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I haven't seen it on either air.

Yeah, I know what you mean, heh! The wed site had sort of a cult following before the show hit US air waves and I have to say I was one of the people intrigued by the strangeness of it all. And for some reason I could stop watching when it came on, lol! I'm one of those people who doesn't mind bad within reason, and there's something about it that I just could not escape from.:search:

Kinda reminds me of the Ducktales episode "the Big Flub" (which I just watched, otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up). Basically, Fenton Crackshell made all these commercials before there was a product, causing an amazing buzz about it, but when the product came out, it was a huge disaster.

I knew that about the web site, but it didn't have the phoney baloney controversy the religious right shoved behind it that gave it the camp value Teletubbies did.

Personaly, my view of new kids shows like that is better explained through Strongbad.

Me either, but I loathe a majority of it, sans a few of shows I could count off of one hand.
Problem is, I think TV has been getting recently up until the strike, when reality shows had to be shoved in to fill in those gaps. Once again, with PBS's kid's shows, they give us better shows all the time... but we get horrible stuff on the other side of it. It almost evens out.

Everytime I see this subject brought up, the Congressional threat to stop funding kid's programming that is, I can't help think they put up SS as a scare tactic. It works. I'm pretty scared. It is probably an empty threat none the less, but with our ultradeficit (due in part to corporate Tax cuts in time of war) it creeps closer.

I think, if this is actually the time they strike, we'd see most of the PBS kid's shows suffer, not just SS.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
True, but sadly, so many people are often ignorant of how business works and will see a product once, no matter how bad it turns out to be.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Kinda reminds me of the Ducktales episode "the Big Flub" (which I just watched, otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up). Basically, Fenton Crackshell made all these commercials before there was a product, causing an amazing buzz about it, but when the product came out, it was a huge disaster.

I knew that about the web site, but it didn't have the phoney baloney controversy the religious right shoved behind it that gave it the camp value Teletubbies did.

Personaly, my view of new kids shows like that is better explained through Strongbad.
Hmm, do you mean when Gyro Gearloose made the anti gravity gum named PEP?

When I said cult following I just mean that it was really popular with a crowed older the the show was intended for, but it was wired enough to be interesting.:smirk: I didn't even know what the show was back then until I actually just ran into it won day and I still had no idea what it was, heh! it didn't take long but my mouth was wide open when I finally saw what to actually was.

Drtooth

Reaction score
When I said cult following I just mean that it was really popular with a crowed older the the show was intended for, but it was wired enough to be interesting.:smirk: I didn't even know what the show was back then until I actually just ran into it won day and I still had no idea what it was, heh! it didn't take long but my mouth was wide open when I finally saw what to actually was.
Well, Tubbies had a cult following after the you know what comments. But that was after. It at least had a camp value to it. Doesn't mean the show sucked any less.

But to have prebuzz in a college aged (we know what they do, and why their clothes smell like a rock concert :insatiable: ) fan base was just a fluke. Didn't help the series at all.

It's good to know that PBS, the network that still keeps a certain Dino who should've been extinct after a box office disaster on their pay roll knows a flop when they see it.

Seeing Boohbah and Postcards from Buster falter and get cancelled is a good thing.

Funny thing about Buster... they didn't learn the Scooby Doo lesson yet. By which, you take the best characters in the show, remove them from the show that made them great, thinking kids will follow it, and winding up with something grotesquely inferior (I'm talking those Scooby, Scrappy and Shaggy episodes where they basically just run around avoiding large guys chasing them). Controversy aside (yet again), there really wasn't too much appeal about it.

Plus, I mean, how come, in the Arthur Universe, the kids they talked to were humans, when the rest of everyone is an animal?

Of course, I still love the fact Buster actually read Manga at the end of one episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To connect fans with the show?

It gave me a brain spazim! Let's just say that.

I tried watching a couple episodes, and I not only did I find them boring, but one episode they went to Montana or Wyoming, and they had a 2 minute shot of Horse crap (actual crap out of an actual horse's backside). That turned me off from watching it ever again.

Something in me feels that PBS knows when a show doesn't work to a high degree and cans it after at least 2 years. Though It dropped Liberty Kids fast. Not that it was a bad cartoon series, but multiple viewings just didn't hold up for some people, I assume.

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I won't get into the policitcs of it all, but this keeps coming back because the funding lasts so long and Congress has to vote again for funding....which is a good thing to make sure programs are still worthwhile. So, take a deep breath, it always gets funded. Politicans don't want little kids and mommies mad at them because Elmo is gone.

That being said, if it were ever to get down to the wire, we need a new Mister Rogers!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q

That clip makes me cry everytime I watch it! Thanks Fred.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
It gave me a brain spazim! Let's just say that.
But wouldn't you much rather say that with multiple exclamation points to stress the point and emphasis of your brain spasm? I'm sure you are, so why not stop by and join the rallying cause of multiple punctuation marks in a row? FIGHT THE RESTRICTING POWER OF RESTRAINED PUNCTUATION! ! ! ! !