Elmo, Ready for Action! and his Overdominance

Drtooth

Reaction score
When ever she gets a doll that sells like the Elmo one did I assume.
Wait and see is all I can see. In fact, she had a parade balloon before Elmo ever did. And I'm not talking about these. And I've seen entire lines of Party hats and gear like that that feature only Abby, while even Elmo had to share his with Ernie, Bert, Oscar, and Big Bird.

So, we can't rule anything out just yet.

because we could surely see This

it's not quite as funny, but 'struth!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It could happen. But it feels like it might be a little forced you know?I think even the beginning of Elmo main just sort of caught everyone off guard and happened sore of naturally. Then, it was shoved doe everyones throats after they just ran with it and he all of a sudden became the direction they were going in.

It's hard to create and recreate that kind of response.

Drtooth

Reaction score
seems like with Elmo, we had a rising star that wound up dominating the action later on down the line. Abby seems like Sesame is trying to get as much publicity as possible. I mean, I grew to like the character and all, but it comes on WAAAAAAAY too strong. I know the importance of a positive female lead in a TV series for kids, but let's grow into the character first, before the media Blitz.

But hey, anything to stay one step ahead of Nick Jr's highly commercial spaztastic overrated line up.

I miss Pinwheel. Though I only saw it like twice.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I just saw on the news that they're using Elmo to teach kids about what their parents are going through in the war or something like that. I know this has been brought up on this forum before, so I'm not gonna keep bringing it up, but actually, if you were to put a character in that position, Elmo, even if he wasn't being used as much, would be perfect because of him being so child-like. But then again, whatever happened to the good old days of childrens television? I mean, where are all the Mr. Wizards at? Why don't they show re-runs of THAT anymore?

Daniel

Oscarfan

Reaction score
But then again, whatever happened to the good old days of childrens television? I mean, where are all the Mr. Wizards at? Why don't they show re-runs of THAT anymore?

Daniel
Mabye because today's stations are moving forward into the future and have no need for older shows. Take TV Land for example. They've started showing more recent shows.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Mabye because today's stations are moving forward into the future and have no need for older shows. Take TV Land for example. They've started showing more recent shows.
Yeah, but Mr Wizard was the bomb-diggity. I mean, at least show it on Noggin or something.

Daniel

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
seems like with Elmo, we had a rising star that wound up dominating the action later on down the line. Abby seems like Sesame is trying to get as much publicity as possible. I mean, I grew to like the character and all, but it comes on WAAAAAAAY too strong. I know the importance of a positive female lead in a TV series for kids, but let's grow into the character first, before the media Blitz.

But hey, anything to stay one step ahead of Nick Jr's highly commercial spaztastic overrated line up.

I miss Pinwheel. Though I only saw it like twice.
Well, what I mean when I was talking about throwing everybody of guard was right before the very hight of the character started. But it's understandable that it happened anyway, so it really didn't came so too much of a suprised besides just out out of hand it escalated too! But yeah, *** can feel like there is more Abby out in the public eye they there has been on the show itself.

I agree with you about Nick JR. These days! And I used to love Pinwheel! Used to watch it ever day sense my kindergarten was only half a day.:big_grin:

Mabye because today's stations are moving forward into the future and have no need for older shows.
But theres always room for older shows!:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just saw on the news that they're using Elmo to teach kids about what their parents are going through in the war or something like that. I know this has been brought up on this forum before, so I'm not gonna keep bringing it up, but actually, if you were to put a character in that position, Elmo, even if he wasn't being used as much, would be perfect because of him being so child-like.

Definately. Politics aside, Elmo was the perfect Muppet choice to talk about it, as he was during the post 2001 PSA's teaching kids about dealing with fear.

Elmo is one of the few muppets, as I've said, I can totally believe is a kid, and not an ambiguosly aged cartoony character (right up their with Big Bird and Robin). So no doubt he would have been a great choice in telling kids about something important that just wouldn't fit on the series.

And yes, kid's television, as I've said, has been dog excriment for years. It's all about making similar looking and sounding shows with no appeal to anyone over the age of 3. What started this asinine movement of making shows for kids younger than the intended age of television anyway? kids younger than 3 shouldn't be watching TV at all hours of the day. it's not going to make them any smarter. Especially with what they're watching.

Sigh. I've talked about it a million times. they just want the everybody else, who's watching everything else market, and they don't care about the fringe groups that DON'T like the Mainstream choices. Sure, I like Office and Earl and stuff like that... but there aren't any choices. And without cable, you have even less choices (no thanks to Cable existing, and apparently having only a few different choices).

The sad thing is, when I was little, we had syndication, and we were able to see different cartoons... Disney Afternoon, various toy themed programs, and of course, classics like Popeye and Looney Tunes. They aren't around anymore, so they can be aired on Cable networks that choose not to air them anymore. Simple as that.

Well, what I mean when I was talking about throwing everybody of guard was right before the very hight of the character started. But it's understandable that it happened anyway, so it really didn't came so too much of a suprised besides just out out of hand it escalated too! But yeah, *** can feel like there is more Abby out in the public eye they there has been on the show itself.
It's hard to tell where Abby as a character starts, and Abby as a Publicity stunt ends. I know SW is hungry for publicity (look at the false plant about Cookie Monster not eating cookies years back, and the misinterpretations of why SS Old School wasn't for kids), since Nick Jr's garbage line up is getting more popular. Plus, all the fuss they come under for having the male muppets outnumber the female muppets. Plus, the need for gender specific merchandise. But getting a parade balloon is pretty big a publicity stunt. Seriously, not even Elmo has a Macy's Balloon.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It's hard to tell where Abby as a character starts, and Abby as a Publicity stunt ends. But getting a parade balloon is pretty big a publicity stunt. Seriously, not even Elmo has a Macy's Balloon.
Yeah, Abby is pretty sincere as a character and she is pretty low key and not over the top. But It's like all the hoopla surrounding her is crazier then she is. It dose kind of make you wonder just what there trying to get at?:search: :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's what I was saying that first year they introduced her... I mean, they made SUCH a BIG deal out of her, she had all this publicity, and they were making her out to be the brand-spankin' new addition to the Sesame family that year, and then she only appeared in THREE episodes!