Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
LTS seemed to have a "film look" by way of slightly desaturated colors, quality composition, movie-esque sets and real life locations. But then again so did VMX, but LTS had that Kermit-Fozzie-Gonzo trio and an appearance that brought me back to the golden age of GMC with them dancing down the hallway singing together. That is what I hope for the next Muppet movie. By the way, should we give it a working abbreviation for now of NMM (new Muppet movie)?

unclematt

Reaction score
I hear you loud and clear. When you brought up the three of them together in that hallway doing the song. That is something we Muppet fans have not seen in years. WOW - Very good point.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
But if there's one thing I want to see its a movie production value. That's what I loved about most of LTS... even though it seemed a little vacant at times, it felt like a movie and not a TV special... VMX was sort of movie like, but still felt like a telefilm... Oz looked directly like a telefilm (and I'd gather KSY did too, I STILL didn't see it).
Kermit's Swamp Years doesn't actually look too bad. There's a lot of location shooting, and the DVD (surprisingly) comes with the widescreen version (I've never even watched it in pan-and-scan). It kind of reminds me of how Elmo in Grouchland was filmed. Sort of.

Honestly, my only real issue with that movie is the actor playing the bad guy. BLECH! He's a terrible actor who goes for the typical I-don't-have-to-be-any-good-because-this-thing-is-just-for-kids performance. It really irritates me. Otherwise, it's not my least favorite Muppet project.

I'd like to see the new Muppet Movie have the same sort of feel that The Great Muppet Caper had. It could be gritty at times (the Happiness Hotel) or absolutely breathtakingly beautiful ("The First Time it Happens" number). Jim Henson really knew how to make a certain mood with his films. And it'd be great to see Kermit, Fozzie and Gonzo working as a team again. And maybe they'll try to bring Scooter back up to the "number five" character.

unclematt

Reaction score
Watched VMMC last ight and that felt like a Motion Picture to me. It was also so nice to see The Muppet Theatre

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Watched VMMC last ight and that felt like a Motion Picture to me. It was also so nice to see The Muppet Theatre
I think Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie is a good example for the new upcoming muppet movie.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie is a good example for the new upcoming muppet movie.
I really liked seeing the world outside the theater like the exterior shots or the Muppet Theater and the park with Kermit's statue.

I wasn't keen on the theater interior not matching up with the Muppet Show, but they did kind of write that line in about needing renovations.

unclematt

Reaction score
It is thirty years later. It cant look exactly the same. There have to be some changes

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It is thirty years later. It cant look exactly the same. There have to be some changes
Not that amount unless the place burned down and was rebuilt.

There appeared to be too many changes to the basic architecture, not just the artifice. Even the placement and shape of the balconies were vastly different. It really appeared to be a completely different theater dressed up to look like the Muppet Theater. But I was just glad to have some sort of Muppet Theater setting. The backstage is where all the classic action took place in the old days and that looked right.

unclematt

Reaction score
Okay. I actually thought your complaint was with the backstage.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Okay. I actually thought your complaint was with the backstage.
I thought that was beautiful. It was a bit different, but not as different as it appeared from season to season.

The VMX theater seats were even placed and divided in an odd way. Also the steps leading up to the back balcony just shouldn't have been there. We see the whole theater in all 5 season opening credits so everyone has a feeling of what it should look like. I don't have the DVD with me or I'd compare screen grabs of the VMX version. I was a little disappointed in it, but that really is nit-picky. However, I'd really like to see Disney create a good and permanent approximation of the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.