Sid the Science Kid Redux?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Over at Muppet Newsflash there's a new article about the new Henson created kid's show "Sid the Science Kid" (once "What's the Big Idea?"). It appears the name isn't the only thing to get a makeover. Sid, the star, has also received some tweaking. This is geared to inspire kids in areas of science so it's unlikely that I'll watch much of it - good idea that it is. However, I'm not liking the makeover of the once cute Sid character. What do you think? The one on the left is the way they're headed. I suppose they went for a more "grown up" looking character, but it sacrifices much of the charm the original version has. I wonder why they did that? Opinions? :sympathy:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Over at Muppet Newsflash there's a new article about the new Henson created kid's show "Sid the Science Kid" (once "What's the Big Idea?"). It appears the name isn't the only thing to get a makeover. Sid, the star, has also received some tweaking. This is geared to inspire kids in areas of science so it's unlikely that I'll watch much of it - good idea that it is. However, I'm not liking the makeover of the once cute Sid character. What do you think? The one on the left is the way they're headed. I suppose they went for a more "grown up" looking character, but it sacrifices much of the charm the original version has. I wonder why they did that? Opinions?
When development started not only was the show's title different but the titular character, Sid, was called Josh. A lot has developed and evolved since the initial announcement.

I agree that the new Sid design is not as cute as the original. However I think the current design is still pretty cute. And the show still looks like a lot of fun. The shot of Sid and the magnify glass (and the logo) is a lot cuter than the microphone pose.

I'm going to withhold any real judgment until I can see the character in action -- still shots don't always represent the character as they really look/feel when they are brought to life. And it is hard to get a real sense of the overall feel of either design from just 1 or 2 still poses.

The major changes include smaller pupils, a slightly rounder nose, 5 fingers, smaller ears, and a little more definition around the mouth. As you said, he does look older now, which may be a big motivation behind the alterations.

He also looks (and probably more) a bit more human-like with the new design (such as having 5 fingers vs 4 and more facial definition/control). This may help relate and work the character with the "real world" and the show's scientific concepts. Other changes may have been made to allow the character to be more expressive and possibly provide better and more animated movement and expression from the character (again, seeing the character in motion may help provide a sense of the character). Sid may have also been tweaked to fit more with the other characters (which we have not seen yet) and/or the overall world of "Sid the Science Kid" (which we also haven't seen).

And as weird as this may sound they might have not wanted their lead character to be so overly sweet and cute and become unrelatable (suffering from a kind of "Bean Bunny syndrome").

I don't really mind the changes. I still think Sid's (and the show's) design looks good. He still has a lot of charm and character. Although I do think the original design had a simple charm and cuteness that is somewhat lost on the newer version, I personally think the new design is still great.

And I would like to think that Henson knows more about the character design and appearance than we do from these two shots, and they probably can tell what's better for the show and the character. I think, in the end, the upgrade will have been for the best. Although the design is less cute and charming, based on the description of the show, I think the new design better fits the character.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think where the character looses his charm in the new design is in the face. Part of that could very well be the lighting. The first design seems softly lit while the second has a harsher shading that makes him seem a little obnoxious. Also, the eyes seem to have a ring under them. Yes, this may be realistic, but it makes him seem much older. When drawing and rendering children's faces (and women for that matter) the less detail, the better, generally.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
New Pictures!

I have gotten some information on the cast, plus new pictures of Sid and his friends (May, Gabriella, and Gerald)!

Check it out here: http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2008/04/who-is-sid-science-kid.html

The Cast:
Sid: Drew Massey
May: Julianne Buescher
Gabriella: Alice Dinnean Vernon
Gerald: Victor Yerrid​
The design has really grown on me (the new pic of Sid makes him look great -- I guess that first pic just caught his "bad side"). I really think the entire cast looks great! The whole gang looks really cute and each character shows a lot of personality.

I can't wait to see the characters in action!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have gotten some information on the cast, plus new pictures of Sid and his friends (May, Gabriella, and Gerald)!

Check it out here: http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2008/04/who-is-sid-science-kid.html

The Cast:
Sid: Drew Massey
May: Julianne Buescher
Gabriella: Alice Dinnean Vernon
Gerald: Victor Yerrid​
The design has really grown on me (the new pic of Sid makes him look great -- I guess that first pic just caught his "bad side"). I really think the entire cast looks great! The whole gang looks really cute and each character shows a lot of personality.

I can't wait to see the characters in action!
While I still favor the initial concept art on Sid this latest version appears to hold more promise than the last update. That one looked like Sid had been drinking too many corn syrupy juice boxes. What I really want to see is this CG puppet in action! The other characters look pretty good too. If science had been presented in this format when I was a kid my view and knowlege of the subject would be quite different! :wisdom:

I still prefer the original Sid, but this one looks pretty good and it is a great "big idea" that fills in what most educational television is lacking these days. :super:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Okay, this looks quite better than the last one. The whole cast looks really cute. I'm not sure about the pink kid (Gerald?) though. He looks a bit odd. The reason mainly being that he looks off balanced in the group shot[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
That second picture looks much better than the first one! I still like the old design's cartoonier eyes, but the new one's growing on me.

My favorite design has to be the pale girl with the glasses. What's her name?

Erine81981

Reaction score
May is her name. I'm with you Frogboy 4. Forgot your name. I can't seems to remember people's names around here. Sorry. But i liked the other verison better but this one is growing on me too.