Your Thoughts: Authentic Gonzo Replica

Luke

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the review ignores the nose issue. Anthony delves a little behind the decision and about the nature of both materials. I am also perplexed about the eyelid foam issue. Apparently it age tested better. I know the nose (just sticking out there as it does) would be much more problematic made from foam.
I don't think its right he doesn't take off any points for the nose at all seeing as he accepts their substitute yet takes off a point for the eyes - which is slightly less of a big deal and somewhat fixable. Thats what i meant about kinda ignoring it (pointswise i mean) - all the negatives are touched upon but played down. It is his opinion though and he is writing it from a fan perspective.

I doubt the eyelids or other foam parts will cause a problem for many, many years to come if treated carefully. I doubt the nose would have been either but yes there is the issue of if people tried to pose it. Gonzo's touchy about his nose! :concern:

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Incredible review and pics Anthony!
I would really like to be able to click on the 360 turnaround to see a larger version!

I also really like the flower you used in his suit!

Luke

Reaction score

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I don't think its right he doesn't take off any points for the nose at all seeing as he accepts their substitute yet takes off a point for the eyes - which is slightly less of a big deal and somewhat fixable. Thats what i meant about kinda ignoring it (pointswise i mean) - all the negatives are touched upon but played down. It is his opinion though and he is writing it from a fan perspective.

I doubt the eyelids or other foam parts will cause a problem for many, many years to come if treated carefully. I doubt the nose would have been either but yes there is the issue of if people tried to pose it. Gonzo's touchy about his nose! :concern:
I agree with a lot of that and found the scoring opinions to be somewhat high in some cases but overall a four Kermit head rating is about right so it kinda mixed up right (in my opinion) in the end. I also don't have a love for the nose material, but I do like the nose overall. To be honest, once in a while I still feel that something else could have been done...but then I look at him in his corrected pupils and forget all about it. Those darn seductive Gonzo eyes. :concern:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
But the important question to you Luke: are you going to get yourself a Gonzo? :big_grin:

Surely you must see that everyone who's gotten him keeps saying that he looks a ton better in-hand, very near perfect, especially after the few mods. I was still skeptical before he arrived, and now I can't believe that I ever thought about skipping out on him! :crazy: He's a whole lotta fun, and very authentic looking in person. I wasn't kidding about the part of the netting looking like foam cells close-up.

And trust me, I was back and forth on my Likeness & Overall scores due to his nose, but I ultimately decided not to dwell on it and take MR's Gonzo for what he is... Weird! As you said, just my own opinion.

Cheers,
:smile:
Anthony

Big thanks for your cheers & jeers everyone! It was a blast to do a review for my favorite site. Igno, your Muppets are beautiful! I know you asked before what I did to make my Animals' hair stay down (leaned him up against my bedroom wall for a few days btw), but your Animal looks great! Everyones' mods are working out perfectly. I might do like MuppetCaper and paint his lip later on, but for now I'm happy.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Ok now that is the first and only photo i have seen of these where you can actually say, totally and unquestionably that looks like Gonzo and also has the Gonzo character about it. I like the shirt jacket but yea, he looks so much better without and with the alterations you made - the eyes are perfect.
Thanks for the nice comments Luke. In all sincerity, I think I spent less than 30 minutes on him.

I think the reason Anthony gave him more marks off for the eyes is that, in person, the nose isn't nearly as big of a deal as the eyes. The nose is really not as bad as it appears to be in pictures – even up close.

Anthony, did you pin back Gonzo's jacket for those pics? It seems to fit better in your pics than any of the other pics I've seen. Your pics make me want to put his dress suit back on – which still looks mighty pink to me btw!

Man, no matter what I do, I just can't get Animal's hair to flatten out on top as much as Anthony or Antony's seem to have. It must be something in the name! I just need to keep working with him I guess. I just can't seem to get rid of his mushroom-head look.

Luke

Reaction score
But the important question to you Luke: are you going to get yourself a Gonzo? :big_grin:

Surely you must see that everyone who's gotten him keeps saying that he looks a ton better in-hand, very near perfect, especially after the few mods.
No offense at all intended Anthony, its a nicely written review, but you just seemed to be taking the angle of reviewing it "with mods", from all the pictures posted from different people it can look vastly better with them, but people reading the review aren't getting it "with mods" and a lot of people (me included) aren't that comfortable doing them. That was why i was of the opinion it needed to be a review based soley on the final product. I do understand they can look a lot better in person, i know that from the replicas i have. I will likely try and see a Gonzo in person before ultimately deciding on him as not everybody who has him seems to be of the opinion he's near perfect but it would be nice to have the group. I agree with Jamie that the points kinda balanced out anyway though, i know how hard it is writing these things.

:wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
No offense at all intended Anthony, its a nicely written review, but you just seemed to be taking the angle of reviewing it "with mods", from all the pictures posted from different people it can look vastly better with them, but people reading the review aren't getting it "with mods" and a lot of people (me included) aren't that comfortable doing them. That was why i was of the opinion it needed to be a review based soley on the final product. I do understand they can look a lot better in person, i know that from the replicas i have. I will likely try and see a Gonzo in person before ultimately deciding on him as not everybody who has him seems to be of the opinion he's near perfect but it would be nice to have the group. I agree with Jamie that the points kinda balanced out anyway though, i know how hard it is writing these things.

:wink:
Speaking of modifications, Phillip allowed me to add a simple step-by-step pupil correction option (using a specific felt material recommended by MuppetCaper) at the bottom of the page. The before and after picture has been replaced with the correct imagery. The left photograph is an entirely unaltered shot taken right out of the box, the one to the right was taken a week later after initial pupil correction. The two pictures were never meant to be side-by-side, but I pulled them up for the instructions and it seems to work nicely. These are totally candid photos not meant to be attractive. :embarrassed:

That being said, I think Anthony's photography is some of the best stuff I've seen with Muppets since the publicity stills when the Muppet Show was still on the air! Well done. And I also think the four Kermit tabulation is right on. Actually, with the modifications I give him more. He he. :concern:

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
No offense at all intended Anthony...
No offense taken at all man! :big_grin: I didn't get my Gonzo until a week or so after Jamie & MuppetCaper, so I knew what to expect. I already had the plans & materials I needed to make him perfect, then I got the tap for the review. I did take one shot of him without any mods, but I didn't submit it for the review , guess I coulda', doesn't even look bad imo besides the lighting. Oh, and here's exactly what I wrote about him at first sight, no edits (not a complaint, I loved everything about the review process!) "I was actually grinning from ear to ear before I took him out, cuz oh man, he… is… GONZO!" And this is from a hard-core Muppet Nut, like most of us here. I actually never even considered waiting on modding him until after the review, I was just thinking about my photo set and how much I wanted his beautiful in-person look to come through in the pictures. I'm positive that whoever reviews Fozzie won't have to worry about any mods! :embarrassed:

Thanks for your kind words Jamie! :super: That means a lot to me. You are a gentleman and a scholar my friend.

Igno, here's a bigger version of the turnaround, and a couple more shots in a larger format as well:

Turnaround
Hopping Mad!
A Weirdo Gazing

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Oh, and here's exactly what I wrote about him at first sight, no edits (not a complaint, I loved everything about the review process!) "I was actually grinning from ear to ear before I took him out, cuz oh man, he… is… GONZO!"...

Thanks for your kind words Jamie! :super: That means a lot to me. You are a gentleman and a scholar my friend.
I felt the same way about Gonzo upon opening the box. I felt like a kid on Christmas. I haven't felt that in over a decade! I actually squeaked! You really got the best out of your images and I like that box shot too!