Empire acquires rights to Jim Henson screenplay

What do you think of Empire acquiring the rights to the Henson screenplay?

• The movie is a great idea. I hope that it gets produced.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • I'm concerned that it can be done well and will honor Jim.

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • It's not worth doing if either Disney or Sesame don't support the movie.

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I don't want to see it. Hollywood will likely misrepresent Jim’s life.

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Christian Bale as Jim Henson

I'm sorry, I know i've been over this before. I just happened to run across this photo. Doesn't Bale have an uncanny resemblance to Jim? It wouldn't be a stretch to make him Henson.

wes

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I know i've been over this before. I just happened to run across this photo. Doesn't Bale have an uncanny resemblance to Jim? It wouldn't be a stretch to make him Henson.

Yea a Really scary Creepy Jim Henson, He is the Henson that Creeps in the night! HE IS BAT-HENSON (that was a stretch I know):smile:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Thank you Wess. I like Bale but,find him earily similar to Henson as well. He could do it right.

unclematt

Reaction score
I really hope this gets made. It is super important to me.

Luke

Reaction score
Didn't they say they wanted to be in production with this by the Summer?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Empire Film Group: exposure

:search: I was reading Blu-ray.com and found a little article about Empire (the film company with the Henson bio film rights). This has nothing to do with the Henson film, but it does show that they are a young company on the rise with real prospects. However, they are not as established as others. Releasing anything on Blu-ray shows they have some healthy investors.

Empire Film Group Announces Blu-ray Support
Posted June 16, 2008 08:13 AM

Empire Film Group has announced that they will be releasing their content, which includes the recently revealed Dakota Fanning and Robin Wright-Penn film 'Hounddog' on Blu-ray disc this January. Don't feel bad if you haven't heard of the studio; 'Hounddog' will be their first theatrical release with two more planned by the end of the year.

Obviously, its way to early to talk about specs and special features when the film isn't set to hit theaters until September, but rest assure, once these titles get official Blu-ray dates, we'll have the info.

It's a rather weird and dark film (sounds like an indie picture) but it does have name stars. That gives me a little more confidence in this Henson project. For them it would be quite a jewel in the company cap. :wisdom:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hmm, this is one of those things that's got me so excited, I don't know yet how I feel about it. Too many questions right now. I can't believe something like this hasn't been done yet, like even a made-for-tv movie. Let's put it this way; it needs to be done, the concern is will it be done right? I think of the John Denver movie and how much that upset people. Speaking of which, I was really surprised Jim wasn't featured in that movie, or Ray for that matter, although I'll admit that's me being a bit biased.

unclematt

Reaction score
I hope this is done well but Henson nor Disney are endorsing this movie if we ever see it

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well any Jim Henson film of quality and accuracy would have to go through the Henson Legacy first, then it would likely filter through the Henson Company (a separate entity) that would likely bring in Sesame Workshop and then finally Disney would have to endorse use of the Muppets. For a while the Henson Company could use Kermit in certain contexts before requiring Disney's okay. I mean they did keep the Kermit statue at the Henson/Chaplin studios, but they did cut poor Kermit out of the Emmet Otter Jugband Christmas reissue.

Gaining approval from the Jim Henson Legacy is not the easiest "rubber stamp" task. They are in charge of maintaining Jim's legacy and that's a very delicate thing. I don't think the other three companies would lend support without the Legacy - and that would be crucial. Films about other personalities wouldn't require as much cooperation because they don't depend so heavily on seeing so many copyrighted characters alongside the star.

I don’t remember how this deal was reportedly brokered, but Jim was immersed in his work so much that there could be no Jim Henson film without Kermit, Rowlf, Ernie and tons of other felt and foam silly creatures.