Preliminary Thoughts on Master Replica's Fozzie Bear

Luke

Reaction score
Then if this is the case....Animal should be right up there with Gonzo. His tongue and nose are not made out of foam to replicate the character. He should also be considered a simulation. Gonzo's full body is still made out of the same patterns as the original. So that does qualify him as being part of a replica. The only thing stopping him is his nose which is a small percentage of him. We all know that this is the main part of that makes up who he is, and it is sad to say that this had to be his downfall for it.
Animal is a "replica" in the way he can be (with a little alteration) made to look EXACTLY like one of the later Muppet posers, no matter what hes made of. I wouldn't go so far as to call Gonzo a simulation, but i also don't view him as a replica in the same way i do Animal and Kermit. So to me, as is, he's a replica in the way he is a great "replica" product but not a true replication of the poser. It's not just the nose, the eye placement and pupil placement are a big part of what makes "Gonzo" - he may well look a LOT closer with some customisation, and they totally nailed him from below the head. I wouldn't say he looks an A- because you gotta leave some room on the scale for Fozzie, unless Fozzie will get an A+++ (lol) but i know these all look way better in person so it truly does feel like an "A" to actually have a scale Muppet in your possesion.

It is a question of where you store these beasts too, lol, the cardboard box mine was packed in was HUGE and the whole package together is quite heavy. Having five together will be a nightmare storage wise.

Telly

Reaction score
The only problem I'm having with the Gonzo replica is the area on the sides between his eyes and mouth. His eyes should be rounder and he shouldn't really have "cheeks". That's the only thing that makes him not look dead-on to me.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Animal is more accurate in terms of materials, but Gonzo is much more fun than him or even Kermit in my opinion. Either way, does this candid picture stir anybody up into wanting the entire gang so far? :smile: :concern: :halo:

When Fozzie comes Gonzo might be missed. But in all fairness, there might be plenty of bargain Gonzos to go around. Then again, maybe not.

antonydavanzo

Reaction score
I'm sorry. I promised my comment in another thread would be my last... but this one really is.

I don't think Gonzo can be considered a replica. And it's not the materials that are the only problem. For instance, if I buy a replica Star Trek phaser, I wouldn't expect it to be made out of all the same materials that they used to make them for the TV show in 1966, but I would expect it to look EXACTLY like it.

Kermit, in my opinion, is as near perfect as he can be, considering how many different versions there are. And Animal, even with his minor flaws, still looks like the real Animal (just look at Anthony's most recent pictures).

But Gonzo, no matter how much you love him and how much he grows on you, is off. Apparently, he's close enough for some of you, and that's fine. I'm glad you like him and I'm glad he makes you happy. I hope MR sells a ton of them. But he's not a replica. No matter how far away you get or blur the photos or take them in the dark, that nose material doesn't look like the original. I don't need to list his other flaws, everyone knows what they are and are choosing to overlook them.

No matter how cute his little shoes are, he's just not a replica. There was a Broadway show that was probably before the time of most of you on this board. It was called "Beatlemania" and was a group of look-alikes and sound-alikes of The Beatles. The commercial said, "They're not The Beatles, but an incredible simulation." To me, that's what this Gonzo is... "He's not a replica, but a reasonable simulation."

Okay, I'm done now.
I think with certain things like this us collectors may have to look past some of these flaws, sadly we were never going to get a perfect Gonzo, but I do thing that as a piece of work Gonzo is amazing. Everything you have said above is so true but sadly its a case of having to compramise and have Gonzo the way he is, or just not get him and get the rest of the line. But I do wonder if as a collector I would be kicking myself in 10 yrs time because I didnt get Gonzo because of the sock on his snout:big_grin: .......you know what I mean:big_grin: . I am getting him more for the last reason than any, I would have to have the line without him. Hey Ernie, would you get any more Muppet replicas from Travis wish list? Do you think any of those could create an issue with authenticness?
I hope MuppetCaper or LabRat buy another Gonzo then add a foam nose to him, that could be interesting!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Hey Ernie, would you get any more Muppet replicas from Travis wish list? Do you think any of those could create an issue with authenticness?

I hope MuppetCaper or LabRat buy another Gonzo then add a foam nose to him, that could be interesting!
Oh, I would absolutely get others on his list. I'll be there on day one to place a pre-order for Fozzie, as long as he looks like Terry's proto, which there's no reason why he shouldn't. As long as they don't ruin the shape of his head, he should be perfect!

I also would get Bunsen and Beaker. Those are old fleece style Muppets and should be easy to duplicate.

And I would definitely get Rowlf if they made him. He's so simple, I (almost) don't see how they could mess him up.

Even though he wasn't on Travis' list, I would also get Scooter. Again, another fleece-covered Muppet with a simple shape that they should be able to make.

While I would love to have "replicas" of Statler and Waldorf, those are the next two that I see being huge trouble maintaining the likenesses.

I'm not down on the line at all. I just think they hit a home run with Kermit and Animal, while Gonzo is, at best, a double. And I'm not interested in spending $300 on anything but a home run.

:stick_out_tongue:

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Well Statler and Waldorf where made out of latex foam so that leaves them out of the home run.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
I thought they were always covered with fleece, or flocked like Piggy? :confused: Maybe not, but if you're right, "were" is the key word. Nowadays I'm pretty sure (by the look of them) that they are flocked or fleece covered, maybe someone in the know could ask a builder at Puppet Heap.

But I do agree with Earl here, they have so many intricacies on their wrinkly faces that it may prove to be too much of an obstacle. Maybe the new factory will surprise us though! Can't wait to see their Fozzie proto! :embarrassed:

muppetperson

Reaction score
I thought they were always covered with fleece, or flocked like Piggy? :confused: Maybe not, but if you're right, "were" is the key word. Nowadays I'm pretty sure (by the look of them) that they are flocked or fleece covered, maybe someone in the know could ask a builder at Puppet Heap.

But I do agree with Earl here, they have so many intricacies on their wrinkly faces that it may prove to be too much of an obstacle. Maybe the new factory will surprise us though! Can't wait to see their Fozzie proto! :embarrassed:
They are made from latex foam and then sprayed over with flocking.It still breaks down as it is just particles glued on it.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Her KermieBaby, what'd you do to get Animal's hair so perfect? My Animal doesn't seem to have as much hair on the back of his head as yours does. You've got him looking PERFECT.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
About two or three years ago, shortly after Disney took over the brand, I got to put on Statler, and he was definitely flocked foam.

:stick_out_tongue: