The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

dwmckim

Reaction score
Okay, i'll throw in a question (two for the price of one even)...

Even though you're one of the main Muppet writers, you still continue to do stuff with The Henson Company (such as Sid the Science Kid). Are there any complications involved with working for both Henson and Disney or is it pretty much like what it's been before the Disney sale? Also do you actively follow the various Henson brands that you're not working with (i.e. Farscape, Dinosaur Train, Sesame)?

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Okay. Here's mine:

How do you write dialogue for the Swedish Chef? Do you write the lines out in English and then the performer translates it or do you actually write it in mock-Swedish?

Signed (Well, not really signed, but you get the idea) - ZeppoAndFriends

terrimonster

Reaction score
Okay. Here's mine:

How do you write dialogue for the Swedish Chef? Do you write the lines out in English and then the performer translates it or do you actually write it in mock-Swedish?

Wow. I was about to (as in, in the next few minutes) ask almost exactly the same question. I was wondering whether Bill improvises lines from an outline, or whether it's written in mock-Swedish.

Good question!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Wow. I was about to (as in, in the next few minutes) ask almost exactly the same question. I was wondering whether Bill improvises lines from an outline, or whether it's written in mock-Swedish.

Good question!
I guess curious Muppet fans think alike. :smirk:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hi Mr. Lewis!

How many of the star cameos are last minute and how do you go about scripting them so they make sense in the movie? Thanks!

Convincing John

Reaction score
Sure it is even if no one asks a question I'll send mine and yours to Jim to get an answer.
I posted a question earlier in this thread that didn't get answered yet. Maybe you forgot to send it. Oh well, here it is again:

Mr. Lewis, being a writer of Muppet material yourself, maybe you could give your insights and opinions on two unpublished works.

The book "Street Gang" references memoirs written by Jon Stone (check out p. 330, if you have the book handy). Do you think these memoirs have a chance at getting published or would Sesame Workshop frown on that because of Stone's opinions? (If they can't publish it, I wish they would put it in the CTW archives at the Univerisity of Maryland so patrons at least have access to it).

I'm also curious about Jim Henson's book "Watermellon's I Don't Know". Would Disney consider putting this book online (like the Henson Company did with Jim Henson's Red Book)? I'm assuming this unpublished work is Disney's property because Kermit's in it. I'd just like to know more about it.

Thank you,

Josh Hankemeier
(Convincing John)

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Hey Gang! Wow ok so we have had a jump start to the thread and that is wonderful. Keep them questions coming.
On that note we had to new faces come in and ask about the Switish Chef and how the writeing goes. they are great questions, but we have already asked Jim about that. Here is the Question and Answer: "From Jimjudy: :If you ever wrote something for the Swedish Chef?

Yes, I write for the Chef. Words. Approximations of what I think he might sound like. It’s up to Bill Barretta to turn them into comedy genius…and he does, yoobetcha."
So I'll give you all a chance to think of another question before we send them off. Please dont get discouraged, and always feel free to look through both this thread and the other older one to get some ideas of what questions we have and have not asked. not to mention that the Questions, and Answers are really quite entertaining to read from time to time. Here is a link to the First Jim Lewis Threadhttp://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=31381 There are also a couple of Interviews out there that if your interested and need help finding them just send me a pm or something. thanks everyone.

dwmckim

Reaction score
...and as a "concellation prize" due to Jim having already answered the Chef question, i'll add some extra info to it...in the original Muppet Show scripts (before Jim Lewis was writing for Muppets), the Chef segments were written as all stage directions with only an occasional word indicated if they wanted to be sure the Chef got across to the audience the dish he was trying to cook.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
...and as a "concellation prize" due to Jim having already answered the Chef question, I'll add some extra info to it...in the original Muppet Show scripts (before Jim Lewis was writing for Muppets), the Chef segments were written as all stage directions with only an occasional word indicated if they wanted to be sure the Chef got across to the audience the dish he was trying to cook.
So, in the Muppet Show days Jim (Henson) just improvised it. I had a suspicion that's how it was done, but now I'm sure. Thanks!

Okay! New question! (It's not exactly Muppet related, but...)

Mr. Lewis, as a wannabe writer to a real one, how hard is it to ensure that a character STAYS in character?

I discovered, while working on a story I hope to get published, that it is very easy for me to cross the line of what a character would/wouldn't say. I kind of bugs me because, sometimes, I'll grow attached to a line that I later realize is completely out of character.

Do you, or any other writers you know, have moments like that, or should I just take it as a sign that I'm not cut out for writing?

P.S. Please don't laugh.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Wow that is a very good question. Yea if you watch the Muppet Morsols on season one of the Muppet Show you will learn more about the prefroming of Chef. They where the funniest stuff shot and everyone involved with the show would come and watch Jim and Frank tape the skits.

I would love to do a consolation of all the answers that Jim has done. Starting with Kermit, and working through the differnt Muppets. You know looking back the one Muppet we have not talked to much about is Piggy. I find that kind of odd seeing as how she is so popular. If no one else has a question I'll go ahead and send them.