The Brand New Ask Jim Lewis Thread

RKUNKLER

Reaction score
I have a question. Jim did you write or be involved with anything for Muppets XD. Also are you working on the new Fraggle Rock movie.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Answer!

Ok i got some answers to some questions, lets keep them coming!

I had to change formats and e mail addresses to get these and im very happy now.

Dwayne

Jim Lewis – answers 2.14.08

1. This Question is about Scooter. Is Scooters Uncle going to
come back to run the Muppets theater? Because in A Very Merry Muppet
Christmas Movie he was not the owner.

Anything is possible. Which is another way of saying that I don’t know if J.P. Grosse will return. As you know, he was hardly ever seen (except early on during “The Muppet Show”). For “A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie,” it worked for the story to have the Muppets hold—then lose—title to the Muppet Theater. However, what with mergers, acquisitions and the incontrovertible fact that all of this is pure fiction, anything could happen in the future.

2. Do you happen to know what happened to Pepe's original partner,
Seymour? Seymour and Pepe were a team at first, and then suddenly, when
Muppets From Space began, Pepe was a main character while Seymour wasn't
seen since. I am used to it by now, but when Muppets From Space was
released I thought having Pepe as a solo character was an odd choice, and I
actually liked Seymour better than Pepe. I'd like for him to be
brought back in a future production. I don't know if he's just too hard to
write for, or if Brian Henson didn't like him, or if the puppet wore out
fast, or what?

Pepe is the instigator. He works as a solo. He can create havoc, incite nonsense and otherwise mix things up with any number of guest stars and other characters. It’s easier to place him in the world, with our without Seymour.
Seymour, on the other hand, seems to work best as part of a pair, Laurel to Pepe’s Hardy (albeit with their rotundity reversed). Seymour is the foil, reacting to Pepe’s antics, giving Pepe a place to vent his perpetual disbelief.
These characters work so well together because the performers, Bill Barretta and Brian Henson have such a finely tuned relationship. They can “read” each other and surprise each other…and this comes across in performance. (It’s not dissimilar to Jim and Frank’s intuitive performance style with Kermit/Piggy, Ernie/Bert, etc.)
Admittedly, the above is merely a rumination on Seymour and Pepe, not an answer to your question about whether Seymour will return. That answer follows: I don’t know.

3. Hey Jim! Great to hear from you again! I always
love these questions for you. (This is Ryan "theprawncracker" by the
way.) Anyway, I read on The Muppet Newsflash blog that you had a big hand
in writing the sketches for the brand new Muppets.com Disney DXD
channel thing. It would be GREAT if you could tell us anything and everything
you can about this incredibly exciting project.

The legendary theprawncracker, who—as the saying goes—has forgotten more about what’s going on with the Muppets than I shall ever know. Good to be back. Only wish I knew where I was.
As for the Disney XD new Muppets.com website: It’s been as much fun to work on as it has been (I hope) to view. The goal is to provide maximum entertainment, to give new and old friends a taste of what the Muppets are all about. I personally think this is a fantastic venue for the Muppets. It’s a self-contained environment. Like a sketch on a variety show (for those old enough to remember variety shows), it serves no purpose but to entertain! Here the Muppets can truly be themselves. They just do what they do when they think you’re not looking. That’s been a boon to my co-writer, Kirk Thatcher, and I, but also to the performers who worked on this first round of spots. They could play and explore the characters’ personas without having to carry a story or make a certain statement.
So far, so good. Everyone hopes we can do more…lots more.

4. Hi Jim, Jim, Jimmy, Jim, Jim, Jim! Beau here. I wondered if there
was a story to the use of the "real" style dog in Kermit's Swamp Years.
Is this a part of the evolution of the Muppets, beginning with talking
animals and slowly adjusting into Muppets, or is there another reason
for it?

Ah Beau, Beau, Beauy, Beau, Beau, Beau! If only I had an evolutionary theory that would put this in context. I’d sound smart and you’d be impressed. But I don’t, so I don’t and you’re not. That said, we wanted to use a real dog because (a) we were going to be on location shooting most of this movie, and a real dog in the real world…combined with a Muppet doppelganger…seemed like a great way to sell the idea of all the characters truly being part of the world. And (b) Jim Henson had done it before and it had worked well for him (i.e. “The Muppet Show” with Piggy’s dog Foo-Foo, as well as in “Secrets of the Muppets”--from The Jim Henson Hour).
How was it done? We found a trained dog. Then using photos and fur samples, the workshop created Pilgrim’s Muppet alter ego. (Pilgrim, by the way, is the name of my neighbor's dog. She has since gone to heaven, where I understand all dogs go.)

5. We all have also been wondering how you have been doing,
during the writers strike? We know that this must have been a rough time for
you and all the writers, do you have anything you yourself have learned
through all this?

It’s over! Hallelujah! What have I been doing: Working on non-WGA projects (a couple of book and animation projects unrelated to Muppets) and doing laundry. Now that the strike is over, I’m hoping to get back to some scripts that had to be put on hold. What did I learn? First, that these strikes are never fun for anyone—especially the folks caught in the crossfire. And second, if you’re going to negotiate with studios, Patric Verrone, the President of the WGA-West, a friend, and former “Muppets Tonight” Writer/Producer, is a great guy to have on your side. Now back to work, and to heck with the laundry!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hahaha, oh Jim you're priceless. Thanks so much for answering. I have a few more questions (of course)...

Last year Dave Goelz (and Gonzo) hinted at a new "really exciting" Muppet project being in the works. Was this project the new Muppet site? Or is it something bigger? Also, can you tell us how much the writer's strike (thanks GOODNESS it's finally over!) affected it, if it had any affect at all?

Second, do you know if any performer's have been recast to play Robin the Frog since Jerry Nelson's retirement? I know that Bill plays Lew Zealand now and John Kennedy performs Floyd, but Robin seems to be the only one of Jerry Nelson's major characters to not have been recast, any light you can shed on that?

And one more question, when writing a script, and you want to write a scene that includes a Muppet that (a) doesn't have a performer currently (such as Robin) or (b) hasn't been seen in years (such as Uncle Deadly), what do you do? Do you just keep writing it and leave it to the production team to find performers/puppets? Or do you scrap the idea and come up with something different?

Thanks again Jim, hats off to you! And if you ever want me to tell you about what's going on with the Muppets before I forget, let me know. :wink:

P.S. My friends think my signed copy of Before You Leap is awesome (and so do I). :stick_out_tongue:

Luke

Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster to the Brand New Ask Jim Lewis thread or as i like to affectionately call it the "Jim Lewis, didn't we torture him enough already last time thread" Thanks for answering our questions Jim, truly appreciated.

I wanted to ask about "Americas Next Muppet", i believe something was shot at Disney World/Studios. Were you involved writing it and are you able to tell us (if its no longer happening) a little about it? I thought it would have made a great TV special, and greatly enjoyed the Muppets appearance in the finale of Americas Got Talent in this kinda role.

Secondly, Snoop Dog was reported to have filmed a role in VMX later to be cut. Was he one of the people Kermit called by phone to help save the theater or did he have some other role? In fact, are you able to give us any little fan nuggets of what was in the reported 30 minutes of deleted scenes, i loved the movie.

Lastly just wanted to tell you how great the new Muppets.com is and how much i hope it can be the start of great things in the future. Back in the very early days of dial up connections and streaming video over the net Gonzo appeared on a live candian internet TV show and took viewers questions live via instant messaging. It just shows how well this platform is suited to the Muppets and the possibilities for them to reach people.

Luke

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hi Jim, Thanks for shareing...and never mind the evolutionary theory of Muppets...I can't help it when my old geekdom habbits kick in...

I don't have a question, just wanna say that I love the new Muppet Site content, and that I love everything about the Muppets right now (naturally). I have a brand new Fozzie mug beside my bed (something I never thought I'd see in chain stores in England again) and when I see it, just makes me smile a bit. Thought I'd share.

Matt

dwayne1115

Reaction score
A little House Cleaning

there are some great questions and comments on this thread, but there are some things that need to be fixed. Some things have already been answered, so i will try and direct you to the answers that you seek. Also if you are have read Jim's Interview he really don't do much other Henson things like Fraggle Rock, but i will ask him. I might even be suprised with the answer. Im also going to re write a few questions to make them sound more open. Now please don't get the wrong idea that Dwayne is becomeing mean i just want to give Jim a good veraity of questions. Please keep the creative flow going I'm loving what i am seeing. Also one more side note, Glad you joined our little stalker fan club.

Here is some guide to some thing questions that have already been answered.

RKUNKLER I have a question. Jim did you write or be involved with anything for Muppets XD. Also are you working on the new Fraggle Rock movie.

If you read the last batch of answers Jim really goes into great deatail about the new Muppets.com .
I will ask about FR but i don't think he will know much.

Luke: Secondly, Snoop Dog was reported to have filmed a role in VMX later to be cut. Was he one of the people Kermit called by phone to help save the theater or did he have some other role? In fact, are you able to give us any little fan nuggets of what was in the reported 30 minutes of deleted scenes, i loved the movie.

I have a link for you my friend and here it is.

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showpost.php?p=517447&postcount=42

I hope that helps, the whole thing sounded really funny i wish they would have keep it.

Thats preety much all the house keeping I have right now if yall think of anything you can always ask. I'm on here a lot through out the day and some into the night. :embarrassed:

I'm going to be running some test to try and fix the problem of getting the questions to Jim and it looking decent. I'm somehow not saving my files as Doc files and its messing things up if anyone can help me please let me know. I have a new e mail dwayne115@gmail.com please let me know.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
question for jim lewis

The Muppet website video clips are good, if a bit short (they seem shorter than the average Mupet Show or Muppets Tonight sketches). However, I've noticed that so far the videos mostly feature just a few of the main characters, along with The Newsman and some rats and penguins. If you are allowed to say, do you know whether fans should expect to see more lesser-known characters (such as Beauregard, Lew Zealand, Lips, Digit, Seymour, Sweetums, and others), and if we should expect to see any of Jerry Nelson's characters who haven't been recast in any previous productions yet?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I just sent the next batch of Questions with a liitle something extra.

EDIT: I got a note from Jim, he will send the answers some time this weekend. He also said he has ment to come by and check us out, but he knows what he said so he thinks he would get bord lol.

I'm really happy to because i fixed the problem with my files not being able for Jim to open so im very exited

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I just sent the next batch of Questions with a liitle something extra.

EDIT: I got a note from Jim, he will send the answers some time this weekend. He also said he has ment to come by and check us out, but he knows what he said so he thinks he would get bord lol.

I'm really happy to because i fixed the problem with my files not being able for Jim to open so im very exited
That's fantastic Dwayne! I can't wait to hear from Jim again! And don't forget, if you ever need someone to send Jim questions while you're away or busy, you know you can always ask me. :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
That's fantastic Dwayne! I can't wait to hear from Jim again! And don't forget, if you ever need someone to send Jim questions while you're away or busy, you know you can always ask me. :smile:
Thank Ryan, and i will remember that. I have a lot of time right now but that does not mean i will not get busy from time to time so thank you my friend.