Sesame Street Old School DVD's: Not For Kids

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When shows first begin, they usually have a period where everything's new and rough and the characters and plotlines are still trying to sort themselves out. Then eventually all the pieces start coming together and the show gains a solid loyal audience and becomes the show we know today. That's what we mean by established. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
When shows first begin, they usually have a period where everything's new and rough and the characters and plotlines are still trying to sort themselves out. Then eventually all the pieces start coming together and the show gains a solid loyal audience and becomes the show we know today. That's what we mean by established. :smile:
Yes, that's a good way of saying it :smile:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks! Of course, being established can be both a good and bad thing. One up side is that the show appeals to a wider audience. But that can also mean the show starts losing some of the edgier, more experimental qualities that made it interesting to begin with. I do think that started happening in the '80s with Sesame Street. It became less a rebellious radical show, and more wholesome family entertainment. Nevertheless, the '80s was still a great time for show overall. The problems came in the '90s when it started talking down to children and not challenging them.

Reaction score
Personally I think todays kids would get a kick out of watching the unpc skits of the 70s and early 80s particularly the older kids.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes. There were things that really seemed ironed out by the 72 season. And by 1974/75 they pretty much had a formula they used up until 2002. So, as I said earlier, episodes from 1969-1971 may raise a kid's eyebrows, but anything after that period is perfectly fine.

Personally, I always wondered this. Until recently, kids all grew up on Looney Tunes and older shows with no real complaints. Even now, kids are still watching old Scooby-Doos (as they have been since the late 90's). Other than some relaunches on the part of Scooby-Doo with movies (both live action and DTV animated versions) and a couple cartoons (the first series being an upgrade of the older series, the second being their odd change of pace that comes up every so often), there hasn't been anything that really changed his views in the public eye, especially with children. Looney tunes, I could go onto a rant about. Long story short, WB doesn't give a crud, and they don't know what they're doing outside of DVD releases. But even still, if kids aren't swayed by the older animation style of Scooby Doo (with the exception of Laff-a-lympics and 13 ghosts, I believe all the shows aired on CN for a time- and some on Kid's WB), who's to say that kids automatically like new anyway.

Outside of the group of smaller kids whom Elmo's World cannot be removed for, I see no problem with most of the stuff on both SSOS DVD sets. And didn't they release quite a bit of older material on the 30 minute DVD's as well (though We are All Monsters was redubbed with Kevin Clash doing "yet to be determined red monster's" voice). Even today, there are things from even the 70's that would fit perfectly. I bring up yet again the Checker playing Bernice skit.