Sesame Street Old School DVD's: Not For Kids

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I think it all has to do with how their parents do (or don't) raise them. If they grow up basicly with the media teaching them everything of course they will only ever see what is new as 'cool'. But if the parents actually step in a show their babies the older shows and teach them to have a more well-rounded POV I think only good things can come of it :wisdom:.
If all there is to learn and understand as a child is only what they teach on tv nowadays I feel really sorry for this coming generation :frown:

Young kids of the pre-school don't have a sense of what's old and new.

Though they may get confused with some stuff

Redsonga

Reaction score
Young kids of the pre-school don't have a sense of what's old and new.
They may get confused with some stuff
All the more reason to show them older shows to then :smile:
Most of the reasons they would get mixed up can be easily fixed if the parents just talk to them :wisdom:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Um hello? Please remember to keep this thread on topic, discussing the various differences between classic and modern SST, Old School and Current Seasons.
Thank you.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
All the more reason to show them older shows to then :smile:
Most of the reasons they would get mixed up can be easily fixed if the parents just talk to them :wisdom:
Yeah I mean, kids will occasionally get confused by unfamiliar things, that's definitely true. But that's why they ask their parents so they can learn. As opposed to everything being done for them.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Sorry, I got a little caught up in the moment :smile:
Really I don't think the older episodes are all that different from the ones I grew up with in the 80's :smile:.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah I love both decades. The only differences I see between the '70s and '80s episodes is that the '70s had a bit more of an edge and urban attitude. By the '80s, the show had established itself as a huge phenomenon and sort of tone down a bit (though it was still clearly the city and not Stepford hehe). Also the human characters were getting older. In the '70s, they were 20 or early 30s, hip and carefree etc. You always see Maria studying and she mentioned that David had term papers etc.

By the '80s they were more like your parents; concerned about marriage, grown up conversations and paying taxes etc. Like when they were having a grown up party and Big Bird found it boring because all they did was sit around and talk (as opposed to playing games). I don't think that plot line would have been done in the '70s.

Redsonga

Reaction score
If the format of the new episodes was more the the 80's and 90's episodes I would think the only thing you would have to teach a child about is the old humans, why the monsters are different colors and why Elmo has a smaller role :3. Everything else is'nt that awful IMHO:halo:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I love both decades. The only differences I see between the '70s and '80s episodes is that the '70s had a bit more of an edge and urban attitude. By the '80s, the show had established itself as a huge phenomenon and sort of tone down a bit (though it was still clearly the city and not Stepford hehe). Also the human characters were getting older. In the '70s, they were 20 or early 30s, hip and carefree etc. You always see Maria studying and she mentioned that David had term papers etc.

By the '80s they were more like your parents; concerned about marriage, grown up conversations and paying taxes etc. Like when they were having a grown up party and Big Bird found it boring because all they did was sit around and talk (as opposed to playing games). I don't think that plot line would have been done in the '70s.
Actually, I love Sesame in the late 70's and 80's. First of all, they really took off and became an established show, so they knew what to do and how to use everything. Plus, you got the best of all wolrds in the 80's. They showed classic segments, we had new characters performed by both older and newer puppeteers. Plus, I just loved the parody segments like "Miami Mice" and "Mysterious Theater."

As for old kids not liking old stuff... hey! I didn't even know half the skits I watched as a kid came from the 70's until I saw the old School sets. The Bert playing checkers with Bernice was used up till last year or so, and that was from the late 70's. There's a lot of older skits so timeless, you just can't even tell when they were from. So even with the concern of things being dated (Balderdash!) there are things they can still show.