Sesame Street Old School DVD's: Not For Kids

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The wal-mart ad that went something like 'Pardon me madam, I mean Mom.' and had little ones selling the idea of buying a toy to their mom like their moms were strangers and they were used car salesmen made me die a little inside :cry:
I don't think I saw that, but I get the idea. I do detest those commericals, TV shows or movies where the kids are obnoxious smart alecks who are smarter than the goofy adults. They remind me of the nasty popular kids in school.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I don't think I saw that, but I get the idea. I do detest those commericals, TV shows or movies where the kids are obnoxious smart alecks who are smarter than the goofy adults. They remind me of the nasty popular kids in school.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_PPHyHDuvI
It was'nt that the parent was goofy, just sort of a pushover with no mind of their own that the children treat like a stranger :frown:.
It's like 'why think, teach, or interact with your child? Just let us do the thinking and buy them things!:attitude: '

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah when the popular TV idols manage to mess up (as they so often do) I have little sympathy for the parents of their young fans. They sit their kids in front of the TV and just trust that it must be OK. Human beings are already much like sheep, hehe, and that's not helping.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Yeah when the popular TV idols manage to mess up (as they so often do) I have little sympathy for the parents of their young fans. They sit their kids in front of the TV and just trust that it must be OK. Human beings are already much like sheep, hehe, and that's not helping.
Part of me just wants to raise my future baby on DVDs and books and forget about cable :wisdom:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Part of me just wants to raise my future baby on DVDs and books and forget about cable :wisdom:
I'm already thinking that will have to be the case. I'm not even comfortable showing them the current Sesame Street.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm already thinking that will have to be the case. I'm not even comfortable showing them the current Sesame Street.
*Hee* I'm not even really comfortable watching it myself :stick_out_tongue: . And I have tried many times. I think the last time I actually enjoyed it was about in 95/96 :sympathy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually I was just watching a news story where Psych experts are saying that it's important to use the range of your emotions, both happy and sad. That trying to be happy all the time will not work and is not healthy.

I wish Sesame Street would listen to this, instead of suddenly trying to make everything about the show bright and cheery and perfect all the time. I still can't believe the producer said they couldn't create a character like Oscar or Bert today. That's why I don't want my kids watching it. I don't want them watching a show that's essentially about conformity and if you're ever unhappy, something must be wrong with you.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Actually I was just watching a news story where Psych experts are saying that it's important to use the range of your emotions, both happy and sad. That trying to be happy all the time will not work and is not healthy.

I wish Sesame Street would listen to this, instead of suddenly trying to make everything about the show bright and cheery and perfect all the time. I still can't believe the producer said they couldn't create a character like Oscar or Bert today. That's why I don't want my kids watching it. I don't want them watching a show that's essentially about conformity and if you're ever unhappy, something must be wrong with you.
I know, even the Care Bears were'nt happy all the time, and I heard a parent call My Little Pony 'too scary' on amazon just because it had villains and danger.
I think little ones need to not only see characters unhappy but see how they deal with it to...
I miss Mr. Rogers, he always helped with feelings :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Once again, I have to quote the parents of South Park, "We must blame them and cause a fuss, before somebody thinks of blaming us!"

And that's very true about the Care Bears, lol. We think they're all about caring and cheerfulness. But I remember a line from their first movie (yeah I'm a geek lol):

"We care about everyone. Even when they don't care about us."

I can't imagine half the kids show today successfully getting that message across. Some, but not many.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Once again, I have to quote the parents of South Park, "We must blame them and cause a fuss, before somebody thinks of blaming us!"

And that's very true about the Care Bears, lol. We think they're all about caring and cheerfulness. But I remember a line from their first movie (yeah I'm a geek lol):

"We care about everyone. Even when they don't care about us."

I can't imagine half the kids show today successfully getting that message across. Some, but not many.
I know ,becuase most of the new show characters are happy all the time it's hard to see them as real characters or feel for them. No wonder many little kids think the shows are 'for babies'. I miss when you could really feel the characters emotions and it helped drive a plot, in place of today when it is:
"Do you like pizza?" *pause* "You do? Great! Let's find the way to pizza hill!" :search: