Sesame Street Old School DVD's: Not For Kids

ISNorden

Reaction score
If the comments on YouTube are reliable enough to prove anything, the disclaimers are a load of bull. I see a lot of fans leaving remarks like "My four-year-old likes the old episodes a lot better than what's on PBS today"; for all the kids who complain about Elmo's absence, there are at least some who enjoy the Old School material and learn from it.

ssetta

Reaction score
You know, I think I just realized one of the reasons why a lot of today's kids don't like old SS. It has to do with advertising and merchandise being sold. For instance, if you go into a toy store, you see Dora the Explorer, and even Elmo merchandise everywhere. But try to look for like a Big Bird, or a Cookie Monster doll. They hardly sell those at all. And that's the exact reason why kids of today don't like the classic characters as much. Because they're not really around.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the disclaimer is stupid!

Whats wrong with those shows? NOTHING -- WE LOVED THEM! (And i still do) I wouldnt like the crap sesame street has become today i will say that!
Crap? no. As much as the new SS pails in comparison with the classic episodes, I could hardly call it crap. it's unfortunately one of the best kids shows on today. And we know what that stuff is, horrible, patronizing garbage a board room full of licencees hack off a computer in 5 minutes. But other than that, I agree.

If the comments on YouTube are reliable enough to prove anything, the disclaimers are a load of bull. I see a lot of fans leaving remarks like "My four-year-old likes the old episodes a lot better than what's on PBS today"; for all the kids who complain about Elmo's absence, there are at least some who enjoy the Old School material and learn from it.
True dat, as they say. But the fact of the matter is we have to figure in the first time parents that just buy SS merchandise and videos as a baby sitter. I have read too many dumb amazon.com reviews essentially saying "My 3 month old doesn't want Sesame Road and would rather listen to more baby friendly songs" to think otherwise. But I'm glad to see most of everyone feels that way, that the disclaimers are to avoid some annoying bad press from people who use it as a baby sitter.

And then we can go and talk about television being the lazy parent's babysitter, but I don't feel like it.

You know, I think I just realized one of the reasons why a lot of today's kids don't like old SS. It has to do with advertising and merchandise being sold. For instance, if you go into a toy store, you see Dora the Explorer, and even Elmo merchandise everywhere. But try to look for like a Big Bird, or a Cookie Monster doll. They hardly sell those at all. And that's the exact reason why kids of today don't like the classic characters as much. Because they're not really around.
Cookie Monster is only slightly less common than Elmo, but Ernie, Elmo and Cookie seem to be the biggest focus. That said, how can they market the classic characters if they refuse to put a couple bits with classic characters? I find it complete bull that someone thinks that kids won't pay attention if they use a classic skit that's in conjunction with a newer character or one that's on focus.

But then it all goes down to silly things like focus groups, testing, and working with a bunch of child psychologists that offer the same self contradictory studies.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Here's something that'll take some of the wind out of the "today's kids won't understand shows that were made 20 to 30 years ago" argument.

A user from Australia just posted a message in the Fraggle Rock forum: his (her) four-year-old son is a huge fan of Fraggle Rock.

So there is hope for the world after all!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's something that'll take some of the wind out of the "today's kids won't understand shows that were made 20 to 30 years ago" argument.

A user from Australia just posted a message in the Fraggle Rock forum: his (her) four-year-old son is a huge fan of Fraggle Rock.

Unfortunately all the corporate synargy in the world will blanket that notion. It's due to for profit kids shows like Dora and Blue that really hurt SS. Heck, even in the dark days of the 90's with Barney the Dinosaur and all his ripoff pals, preschool shows took a big hit in quality for the sake of money making faddery. I still agree with someone who said that even in 1998, the show was still enjoyable. I'm glad that they're moving away from frankly rediculous theories and experimentation with the show's format. But I don't think they've gone far enough.

Redsonga

Reaction score

I think it all has to do with how their parents do (or don't) raise them. If they grow up basicly with the media teaching them everything of course they will only ever see what is new as 'cool'. But if the parents actually step in a show their babies the older shows and teach them to have a more well-rounded POV I think only good things can come of it :wisdom:.
If all there is to learn and understand as a child is only what they teach on tv nowadays I feel really sorry for this coming generation :frown:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think it all has to do with how their parents do (or don't) raise them. If they grow up basicly with the media teaching them everything of course they will only ever see what is new as 'cool'. But if the parents actually step in a show their babies the older shows and teach them to have a more well-rounded POV
I agree, I don't like the attitude, "Oh kids just don't like old stuff, therefore we won't show it to them." Kids don't always enjoy school or other things that are good for them. That doesn't mean parents should always accomodate. :coy:

Love the new smilies!

Redsonga

Reaction score
I agree, I don't like the attitude, "Oh kids just don't like old stuff, therefore we won't show it to them." Kids don't always enjoy school or other things that are good for them. That doesn't mean parents should always accomodate. :coy:

Love the new smilies!
I know, and most of the old stuff is even more fun than school while being good for them, so I see no reason not to show them it.
It's not like the nature of being little has magically changed in a couple generations :shifty: .
It's just that many parents seem to be stepping aside a saying 'that's just how kids are nowadays, they just like new things' in place of actually doing anything about what their children watch :smirk: .
Of course, my ma's hate of things like the Beetlejuice cartoon didn't stop me from watching it, but at least I knew she cared and watched older shows to ...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think it's a combination of both parents needing to work (which they definitely do) and not being as available as they could be. Then feeling guilty and needing to spoil their kids to make up for it.

That, and an overly permissive and helpless attitude. The same attitude of, "Kids will drink whether I like it or not." It's a reaction to how strict parents used to be in the '50s. Things need to balance out.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think it's a combination of both parents needing to work (which they definitely do) and not being as available as they could be. Then feeling guilty and needing to spoil their kids to make up for it.

That, and an overly permissive and helpless attitude. The same attitude of, "Kids will drink whether I like it or not." It's a reaction to how strict parents used to be in the '50s. Things need to balance out.
I already know I will be a stay at home (or work from home) mom simply because of my disablity from the get go...

I know what you mean about the spoiling/ helpless attitude that seems to be common in alot of parents lately.
The wal-mart ad that went something like 'Pardon me madam, I mean Mom.' and had little ones selling the idea of buying a toy to their mom like their moms were strangers and they were used car salesmen made me die a little inside :cry: