Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 2

Drtooth

Reaction score
I loved the Typewriter bits, especially when he unplugged the modern computer that showed the unnessary disclaimer, hehe.
I just loved his reaction to it. Like it sounded, snotty, technical, and unneccisary... like the actual announcement istelf.

You are correct Doc...the song "Macho Man" was Village People's breakthrough hit that year (Roughly 7 or 8 months before "YMCA" came out) and I think that incorporating the word Macho along with the animated Construction worker was a sign of the times, if you will. Great observation Doc, until I read your post, I didn't even realize the VP reference...and being a "Villager", I should have!
Ah yes. I felt that was the joke. Also the "Nacho" bit at the end, clearly making fun of a common miscommunicated lyric (that was even portrayed in the Simpsons) at the end. not a fan of their music, but a fun joke none the less. Almost makes me wish the first episode had "K... Kung Fu" at the beginning (I believe the song "Kung Fu fighting," and the TV shows "Kung Fu" and "Hong Kong Phooey" were also famous in that year).

Anyway, I remember there were 5 of them, but I forget one.

There's O Old School
M macho
S Suit (polyester leasure suit, I'm guessing)
and D Disco.

But I forget the other one.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I think it was H for Hair! I just watched it today and the typewriter grew hair.

So, I have watched discs one and two so far! Really enjoying it. The classic clips are pretty good. Not as many celebrities as the last set, but the variety of clips was really good! When watching the episodes I got a weird deja vu; were some of these clips on the first set? The Dollhouse definately was but I think some of the others were too.

Anyhoo, menus are great, I love the little countdown in the bottom righthand corner, and the songs playing in the menus are SO LONG! I was really impressed.

The episodes look really great, there are alot of good moments and songs and I enjoyed watching them!

However, I noticed in particular one bonus clip (with Grover and Kermit) was particularity distorted, there was a noticeable amount of lines and pops on the screen. It was really distracting, and I actually switched it to the next clip.

Anyone else find it awkward that Maria has a thing for David? So bizarre! Luis helps Maria give David a present! >< It's like an alternate universe or something.

Anyhoo, those are just some things I noticed, but the enjoyment factor was HUGE and I can't wait to finish the set with disc 3! Great job Sesame Workshop!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Anyone else find it awkward that Maria has a thing for David? So bizarre! Luis helps Maria give David a present! >< It's like an alternate universe or something.
Well I was surprised when I first heard about their relationship, just because it was new to me. But I adored that scene they had with the typewriter. You really believed Maria was a young girl shyly trying to get a boy to like her, it was all very natural and real. I almost wish they had been allowed to continue. :wink:

They didn't need to cut out the kiss. Perhaps kids would be initially confused. But that's not the end of the world. Parents are there so kids can ask questions and receive answers. Plus plenty of kids are exposed to dating adults or their parents or relatives having to move on to other relationships.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ah yes. I felt that was the joke. Also the "Nacho" bit at the end, clearly making fun of a common miscommunicated lyric (that was even portrayed in the Simpsons) at the end.
I also recall seeing a commercial for some nacho brand which featured people singing "Nacho, nacho man!" Maybe it's best that Weird Al Yankovic never did a parody of that song.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So, I have watched discs one and two so far! Really enjoying it. The classic clips are pretty good. Not as many celebrities as the last set, but the variety of clips was really good! When watching the episodes I got a weird deja vu; were some of these clips on the first set? The Dollhouse definately was but I think some of the others were too.
I thought that this set had more celebrities in the bonus clips than on the last set. Unless you mean altogether. But on the first set, only James Earl Jones, Lou Rawls, Jackie Robinson, Jesse Jackson, and Johnny Cash appear in bonus segments (I don't know if you'd count Listen, My Brother as a group of celebrities, or if you'd count Gary Owens' voice-over as a celebrity appearance, or even if you count Batman, Superman, and Beetle Bailey characters as celebrities). On this sets bonus clips, there are appearances by Helen Reddy, Richard Pryor, Paul Simon, Ray Charles, Madeline Kahn, and a few who I can't remember the names of.

And yes, this set has quite a few segments that appear on the first set. Among them the Flower pageant, 2 train, Two Song (Song of Two), Jazz #2, Jazz Alphabet, Beetle Bailey demonstrating first and last, My Favorite Letter, and others which I can't remember right now.

MrsPepper said:
However, I noticed in particular one bonus clip (with Grover and Kermit) was particularity distorted, there was a noticeable amount of lines and pops on the screen. It was really distracting, and I actually switched it to the next clip.
I was watching that sketch in my copy of The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street before this set was released, and I noticed glitches like that in the skit. I thought it was just my video copy, possibly wearing out (though other scenes were in better condition), but then I saw this one on DVD and saw that the same glithces appear. Maybe it's just on the master copy. I wonder if Sesame Workshop restored the bonus sketches. Then again, I noticed that on the first set, in the flower pageant there seemed to be a glitch, but on this set, when it appears in episode 666 I didn't see it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think it was H for Hair! I just watched it today and the typewriter grew hair.
AH.. yes. now I remember. And H stood for Hair cut at the end of the episode.

Well I was surprised when I first heard about their relationship, just because it was new to me. But I adored that scene they had with the typewriter. You really believed Maria was a young girl shyly trying to get a boy to like her, it was all very natural and real. I almost wish they had been allowed to continue.

They didn't need to cut out the kiss. Perhaps kids would be initially confused. But that's not the end of the world. Parents are there so kids can ask questions and receive answers. Plus plenty of kids are exposed to dating adults or their parents or relatives having to move on to other relationships.
Heh, well, I always thought there was some little conspiracy reguarding David and Maria's mixed relationship at one point. But that's another post for another time.

I think the kiss was cut out because it would have been a very awkward cut, reguarding the use of (one line of) the Birthday song. To cut that scene into another would probably have been an akward cut. I think they could have pulled it off, but I think it was just easier to end it there before the birthday song.

BTW, the DVD issue of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, did they cut out David Kissing Maria in that one? I recall them doing that, but I don't have the DVD...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heh, well, I always thought there was some little conspiracy reguarding David and Maria's mixed relationship at one point. But that's another post for another time.
My Mother recalls reading that that was the reason years ago, unfortunately she doesn't recall the source.

BTW, the DVD issue of Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, did they cut out David Kissing Maria in that one? I recall them doing that, but I don't have the DVD...
I have the DVD and it definitely wasn't cut. ::shrugs::

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have the DVD and it definitely wasn't cut. ::shrugs::
Ah. Then that couldn't have been an issue. Just the Birthday song.

Boy, the old biddies that own that one aren't giving it up any time soon. Bitter, bitter old people, I assume.

LadyVader

Reaction score
when i was a kid i remember more Roosevelt Franklin and more Disco and it also seemed to have not as much Oscar.